Show Of Hands January 8th, 2013 12:00am

Which will happen first: unemployment dips below 5% or rises above 10%? (it's 7.8% now)

5 10

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/15/13 7:41 pm

Fast & Furious,Benghazi,Solyndra, AAA downgrade,Did nothing on Oil Spill Disaster for 30 days,6.5 tril new debt, unaffordable health care,blames Bush and everyone else for his failures but takes credit if its good, more lavish vacations than any other pres, no spending cuts, what else can we ask for

pshinn
01/14/13 7:23 am

Obama ...Obama ..obama the unemployment rate is much higher than 7.8% but if we publish the actual one people would go a little batty. It's over 10% already!!!! Www.shadowstats.com

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
01/13/13 9:30 pm

More people will be working multiple jobs, due to Obama's hours per week restrictions. I believe that this will drive the unemployment number down, while driving the underemployed numbers up.

PKB California
01/13/13 4:03 am

You people do know you can see a graph of our unemployment history in the US right? Lots of them actually.

portalseven.com/employment/unemployment_rate.jsp?fromYear=1980

Unemployment soared under Bush Jr and since Obama has been in office it has only decreased.

01/12/13 2:42 pm

Well.... Guess he DIDN'T have any proof (no surprise there bc what he claimed was false).

01/12/13 2:41 pm

You do know our unemployment rate in 2005-2006 was around 4-5%... Right? Enough with the dumb comparisons to Hitler.

beanD California
01/12/13 12:51 am

The unemployment rate in Germany at the beginning of Hitler's rise to power was 1% or less. Just sayin'... An economy with less than 5% unemployment is downright scary

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his idiot cult
01/11/13 5:10 pm

Funny how this is essentially along party lines.

eshelmsc York, PA
01/10/13 9:22 pm

I may be a bit rusty on my economics but as I recall you really don't want unemployment to fall too low.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
01/10/13 4:41 pm

The "something for nothing" crowd, didn't understand how it would effect business. Or they didn't care, either way, in order to stay profitable, as O-care makes the cost to hire people more expensive, business are hiring less and/or laying off.
Sucks right?

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
01/10/13 4:36 pm

It hasn't caught on yet, but what it means is, no more full time employees, in the minimum wage field, causing more people to need public assistance.
All because of Obamacares mandate to purchase, provide and carry health insurance, or be "Taxed" (it's a fine, I don't give a damn WHAT they call it).

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
01/10/13 4:30 pm

It's 100% true climb, you're wrong. Google it, don't call some one a liar when you're talking out of your ass.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
01/10/13 4:28 pm

You'll have to scroll down really far, on the 7.8% feed, but here goes....

Massive amounts of layoffs are happening right now as it is cheaper for the low wage companies to cut staffing as a opposed to pay for healthcare for their employees. Get used to hearing this saying...
"30 is the new 40"

bonemouth Trump District
01/10/13 3:37 pm

They don't count the people not looking for work so the Obama administration won't get over 10%

freaki2 Kansas
01/10/13 1:36 am

Didn't you embarrass yourself enough in the other thread Capn?

trav Instagram, travisdover
01/10/13 12:05 am

I'm optimistic about the economy but 5% unemployment is like perfection -- when everyone who wants a job has one. If it had said been 6 or 10, I would have went with 6.

LibertyLover Pokemon 201461036800
01/09/13 11:49 pm

Are we talking real unemployment or the fudged numbers that they report to make themselves look better?

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 10:36 pm

Don't forget Reagan was also busy ending the Cold War...

01/09/13 9:49 pm

Definitely. We ought to have had steep spending cuts in this last deal. We'll see how this fiscal cliff thing ends

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:46 pm

Agreed! I'm a pragmatists and face economic reality, but I also have imminent faith in our country. I still believe our unparalleled resolve can dig us out of any hole. We simply need to apply ourselves, which is what I argue we start doing sooner rather than later.

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:43 pm

Oh, and to an earlier comment about taxation-tax rates of about 75% bring in roughly the income that they would at 25%. The laffer curve shows an overall decrease in revenue once roughly the 50% barrier is breached. After that, people find loopholes (ex:bad investments)Taxes are indeed higher today.

SouthernG Man Cave
01/09/13 9:37 pm

Through the crowd sourcing power of SOH, we can over come. :-) May the 1st SOH congress convene.

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:32 pm

Not nearly of this scale though. Don't forget thouh-the actions of the gov in the 90s (repeal of Glass-Steagall, Alan Greenspan's refusal to let the housing market correct itself and poor government housing policy (mandatory lending to unqualified recipients) all gave rise to the collapse in 07-08.

01/09/13 9:24 pm

We survived and probably had the best economic times in recent history

01/09/13 9:24 pm

And labra- I'm not saying it's not concerning. I'm saying we can't tell yet. That's all. Exploding debt, deep recession, huge amount of unemployed, food stamp users on the rise etc etc... It happened right when Bill Clinton took office. Right after two republican presidents exploded our debt

RayX quit
01/09/13 9:22 pm

Running healthcare cost up is a stupid idea.

01/09/13 9:22 pm

it's your job to propose something. A counter offer... Anything

01/09/13 9:21 pm

Ray- well, lets say concerned then. (Not that you shouldn't be. But I definitely remember a noticeable lack of concern when the prez had an R after his name)

Also, HC reform/health care for our citizens is not a stupid idea. And yeah, if you're a responsible legislator and you oppose something

RayX quit
01/09/13 9:21 pm

What concerns me about Obama is that he doesn't take any responsibility. Not only is he not addressing the problem he's making it worse. He's the President. He could do something if he wanted.

01/09/13 9:18 pm

I'm not ignoring that. It is concerning. But we can't tell anything that's going to happen in the future. We can't. Too many unknowns. We especially can't decipher what can happen through this app. The indicators are a great start but it's going to take a while to shake the effects of recession imo

RayX quit
01/09/13 9:17 pm

I'm mad? I don't think so.

If somebody objects to a stupid idea are they obstructionists?
Maybe thats a good thing.
The fact is costs go up with OC and fewer of us will be covered.

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:16 pm

Combine that with underemployment, food stamp crisis, Medicare deficits and an education crisis and we have a real problem. These issues must be addressed now. We're fostering government dependency which simply deepens the crater sized holes we're already in.

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:12 pm

Palindrome-don't assume things about me. I do not give the Bush Admin. leeway for their spending and increased in the national debt. $10 trillion (though not all by Bush) is a huge deal. What concerns me about Obama is his spending and the incredible rate at which our public debt is increasing.

01/09/13 9:09 pm

Granted. The dems have spent quite a bit. There's no denying that. 6-7 trillion and counting is a HUGE number no matter how you slice it

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:09 pm

What more research should I do? I study the economic indicators. I think low CCI, another recent rise in unemployment, spending problem that is yet to be addressed and the coming insolvency of OASDI) are all perfectly good cause for concern for our economic future. These are signs we can't ignore.

01/09/13 9:07 pm

offered absolutely no alternative? Is that really the type of government you want?

Senator 1: I have a bill
Senator 2: I have an objection to it
Senator 1: ok. What do you propose
Senator 2: ... idk. But I don't like it!

... Really Ray?

01/09/13 9:06 pm

I remember the process for this bill. There WAS give and take. O'care was SUPPOSED to be single payer. Then it was just delayed and delayed and delayed. I understand objections but the republicans offered NOTHING to substitute... So, I don't understand. Your mad bc they didn't listen to people who

RayX quit
01/09/13 9:05 pm

Do you see declining healthcare or insurance costs?
Where can I buy affordable insurance?

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 9:05 pm

Fair enough. I recognize they inherited debt/deficits, but they (dems in first 2 years) only rose both to higher, unprecedented levels. I didn't mean to insinuate they created the entire crisis. Rather, I meant to say that they have been incredibly successful in exacerbating it.

01/09/13 9:03 pm

Maybe THAT is "proof" you really ought to do more extensive research on things before accepting it as proof.

Research isn't about putting together puzzle pieces for your narrative and worldview. It's about learning. They CAN be exclusive to each other btw

RayX quit
01/09/13 9:02 pm

The process didn't work because OC was forced through with disregard to due process.
There was no give an take, no committee, no choice.
We are capable of better.
Blaming Republicans doesn't improve the law or justify the process.

01/09/13 9:01 pm

Fantasy land? You DO know SoH is a fantasy land right? This place gave Mitt Romney a 400 or so electoral lead over Obama and a 61-39 popular vote win.

.... No no. I wouldn't point fingers when in comes to "fantasy land" but I do enjoy the fact that you immediately snatch it up and label it "proof"

01/09/13 8:59 pm

I don't know about that. I've read the bill and it doesn't place restrictions on who or where you can get insurance so long as you're insured but I can double check.

01/09/13 8:54 pm

Labra- I was going to say something but... Then I read "the deficits and debt THEY created" --- that's where I checked out.

RayX quit
01/09/13 8:53 pm

I can give plenty of first hand examples of waste and abuse in healthcare. I have purchased healthcare for less than half of what it would have cost me with insurance.
Only big insurance companies exist in OC.
OC is not Affordable.

01/09/13 8:52 pm

Labra- sure it looks bad right now. But, again, you don't know what the future holds. You don't know. Neither do I. It's funny how 6 trillion dollars is apparently so cataclysmic to conservatives and the right but the 10 trillion previously there wasn't a big deal at all. Hahaha politics is funny

01/09/13 8:50 pm

Also, and I really mean to stress this: if the republicans don't like it so much and if conservatives want this that and the other, why hasn't a SINGLE alternative been proposed? It leaves me with that same impression I had earlier: it's being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian

01/09/13 8:48 pm

Also, healthcare exchanges are also present to give you that increased competition as well. So, idk. Seems like a decent step in the right direction. It needs more but it's a framework

01/09/13 8:47 pm

RayX- increased competition is great. I don't see how ACA hinders that. It even gives room for states to make their own programs as they see fit...? So, what I'm trying to say is the freedom is there for whatever program your state wants. It's a step in the right direction.

Labranewf14 Georgia
01/09/13 8:35 pm

Palindrome-your original post is absurd and insulting. Sure, no one can tell you precisely what unemployment will be at in a year or two, but you can't ignore the looming economic signs such as our debt, our deficits, and our ridiculous practice of subsidizing unemployment.