Show Of Hands July 17th, 2012 12:00am

Should movie scenes which include actors smoking tobacco automatically trigger an 'R' rating, in order to protect young teens from the influence?

commonsenc District of Columbia
07/25/12 6:51 pm

As a teenager I find this insulting I am not influenced by other people doing stupid things. I know people how do drugs and smoke and lots of teen drink but that dosent mean I will.

ohai
07/22/12 9:40 pm

I think we should be more liberal with the rating system when it comes to sex and a bit more conservative over violence. But sadly there is very little way to contest a rating.

A great documentary about that is "This Film is Not Yet Rated".

infinity1 Cincinnati, OH
07/22/12 5:52 pm

The more you limit kids and teens, the more they want it. It's simple youth logic

blueyellow Texas
07/22/12 6:24 am

It's a stupid idea, but even if it was in effect, teenagers would still find influence in other things. It wouldn't stop them from acquiring tobacco.

munkey? SilentMunkey
07/21/12 3:32 pm

Using that logic Alice in Wonderland would be rated R. I am talking Disney cartoon. =) I am sure there are other old children's movie that would have to be rerated and Looney Tunes are right out. It is a stupid idea.

ning99 Neverland
07/20/12 1:54 pm

I'm 13... How dumb do people think we r?

ning99 Neverland
07/20/12 1:54 pm

I'm 13... How dumb do people think we r?

ning99 Neverland
07/20/12 1:53 pm

I'm 13... How dumb do people think we r?

Nerdz Texas
07/20/12 1:21 pm

Nope, i am a young teen and I have not been influenced by watching actors smoke tobacco.

FearToFall what is this for
07/20/12 9:21 am

...but they'll still run into people smoking on the streets and such.

I mean, I've seen plenty of people smoke in movies and in real life. I'm not tempted in the least.

But you know, if someone wants to ruin their life by smoking, let them. It's their bad decision that effects them.

putter Michigan
07/19/12 8:49 pm

my life is rated r in more than one way, now

07/19/12 11:33 am

not rate it R..they will smoke no matter what. just like those commercials won't stop them. if you're addicted, you wont. you need that nicotine rush (I'm remembering how I was when I smoked. I can't speak for anyone else)

07/19/12 11:29 am

I think they should eliminate it altogether. You notice that a lot of those actors die of cancer?? and with all these commercials they bombard us with, it would make sense to. it's a disgusting habit. I should know. it's a bitch to quit.

Coke
07/19/12 6:47 am

I'm pretty sure the anti smoking commercials are enough

dylansl Texas
07/19/12 4:53 am

The Beatles smoked, you'll never see teens trying to copy them.

07/18/12 11:45 pm

Yes. Of course. And buy them a pair of Google Glasses after they've figured out how to make an "R" pop up every time anything comes into view that mommy and daddy don't want their li'l tikes exposed to in the course of daily life. (NOT!) (LOL)

malinox
07/18/12 7:37 pm

No. Teenagers are stupid, but teenagers stupid enough to smoke because someone else in a movie did it were obviously not raised right

ncbuc Get Over It
07/18/12 6:52 pm

Sure as long as we can shoot any sports player who beats his wife, gets loaded, or strangles his coach. Which is worse? hyperbole I know but, life is full of shiit worse than seeing a person smoke on screen.

ncbuc Get Over It
07/18/12 6:49 pm

Stupid. Only comment I can make.

PhilliesSuck
07/18/12 6:39 pm

Lol good one. Do you think it's gonna change anything?

TallyLu80 Oklahoma
07/18/12 4:32 pm

This is the dumbest sh!t I've ever heard...today

:0D

kgirl1992
07/18/12 2:01 pm

No that's ridicules, pg-13 or if the movie includes underage smoking I can understand people wanting to.

catan New Jersey
07/18/12 1:46 pm

not to mention the killing of many innocent people. But a movie like the Darjeeling limited, or lost in translation, have WORSE ratings (R) For things like cursing or drinking. Say f*** and it's an R. It's all about money when you get down to it.

catan New Jersey
07/18/12 1:46 pm

The rating system in the US is so arbitrary. The joker in the dark knight threatened to kill a ten year old boy and make his father watch, and that was rated pg-13

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
07/18/12 10:36 am

with just politicians names on them. If you see the name of the Sherrif enough when you go to vote you'll subconsciously feel better about him, even if you know very little about him. It's because of Influence, not because someone told you directly to vote or not vote for the person.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
07/18/12 10:35 am

FrostedMin: If you notice influence then it's not influence. It's like subliminal messages. If you get negative feedback about something you may start to feel negatively towards it after a while, though never directly think to change your stance. That's why there's all those signs on the street

Wes28 CBus
07/18/12 8:50 am

No. The government needs to worry about real issues. If kids want to smoke/drink it won't be because they saw it in a movie or game.

FrostedMin California
07/18/12 7:25 am

I don't get the whole "influence" epidemic. I mean when I was a teen I never was "influenced"

kytoaltoky
07/18/12 4:30 am

@chefmedic. You realize that the MPAA is a private company formed by Hollywood's big production companies, right? It's kind of like a chamber of commerce, but with a more boring charter. Submitting films to the rating system is completely voluntary.

kytoaltoky
07/18/12 4:20 am

Kids usually smoke because their parents and peers smoke, not because some actor "lights up" in a movie. Still, it might trigger a PG rating for an otherwise G-rated movie. It would depend on the prevalence of the smoking.

qchulk Indiana
07/18/12 3:55 am

Oh my don't let them play GTA...

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
07/18/12 1:27 am

That's as stupid as suggesting that any appearance of alcohol trigger an NC-17 rating. Leave it to parents to parent their own children.

jrp2004 Illinois
07/17/12 11:31 pm

If parents are properly involved in the upbringing of their children, it shouldn't matter. I grew up watching R movies, listened to rap, and played violent video games but because of my parents, I knew the difference of reality and entertainment. My parents were my role model, not Hollywood.

jonny323
07/17/12 11:13 pm

You thinks that? Seriously, not even pg-13? R?

HAUSTYLE California
07/17/12 11:05 pm

smoke if you want. don't if you'd rather not. but Damn you if you rate me.

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
07/17/12 10:38 pm

**the data to support that television or movies have enough influence to single handedly sway a person in a general direction on a subject inadvertendly ***does not exist.***

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
07/17/12 10:33 pm

In their lives that would sway them to smoke or not smoke.

Parents should simply parent their children and stop relying on government or Hollywood to do it

RogueMom In a Hand Basket
07/17/12 10:31 pm

The data to support that television or movies have enough influence to single handedly sway a person in a general direction on a subject inadvetendly. A documentary on smoking could influence, but non direct influence not so much. Everyone, especially children have so many more powerful influences

selfthink
07/17/12 10:07 pm

Based on this logic The Night Before C-mas would be rated R because of the reference to Santa's pipe. Give me a break.

07/17/12 10:00 pm

Sheltering kids from the real life topics will only increase their curiosity.

bop
07/17/12 9:45 pm

many kids do worse. and early bird, many questions are suggested by users.

chefmedic
07/17/12 9:08 pm

Exactly Early Bird.... Who care number one, and number two let me teach my own kids about life. My children, and I do not need to be coddled by the government....

EarlyBird Portland
07/17/12 8:43 pm

Who sits around and thinks this stuff up?? And they get paid to do it?!

bbelle
07/17/12 7:51 pm

So are they going to change Alice in Wonderland, Popeye the Sailor Man, 101 Dalmatians, and all the other classic cartoon movies that feature smoking to rated R or will they be grandfathered in?