GrandmaALiCE June 11th, 2014 4:30am

Inspired by Rocker: Has God been "kicked out of school"?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
06/13/14 1:06 am

Sadly, yes. And then we wonder why mass murders by students happen.

beanD California
06/13/14 2:56 pm

I thought I heard the shooter in Oregon had Ben ordained as a minister?

beanD California
06/13/14 12:13 am

Humans can't kick God out of anywhere. God is everywhere. However, organized religion is being "kicked out" of public schools, and I think that's a good thing.

Wes28 CBus
06/12/14 10:46 pm

All this complaining about "the way it used to be" REALLY can be compared to the new Islamic extremists in the Middle East. The republicans are in fairy land if they really think that religious freedoms are under attack.

ethanrae
06/12/14 10:45 pm

As he should be.

Ivyra Earth
06/12/14 8:21 pm

Obviously not all schools. But I find religion to be a personal matter.

DoctorWu at the great hill
06/12/14 5:06 pm

Yes, thank goodness.

mountainmafia Boston
06/12/14 2:44 pm

Yes in the best of ways. It's welcome for your personal belief but not shoved down others throats.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/12/14 11:42 am

God, at least in the context of the one referred to in monotheistic religions as a public spectacle, never had any business being in public school to start with. Kicked out, no. Unwelcome, not specifically, but kept quiet and private, yes.

persuader
06/12/14 9:28 am

Yes. He certainly has been and is not invited into our schools, even against the desires and wishes of the people. The resulting social costs are apparent all around us. The law of the harvest.

dovirstrgn Austin
06/12/14 8:52 am

Ha! Not sufficiently. Not when teachers still get away with slipping creationist propaganda into science classes and comprehensive sex education is widely unavailable due to religious objection.

FireAndMyth San Diego
06/12/14 8:28 am

Yes and glad he was

aaronb50
06/12/14 8:02 am

Yes and it's a good thing! Separation of church and state!

BarryB Was it something I said
06/12/14 6:46 am

No particular God should never have been in public schools. He's more than welcome in parochial school systems. Don't force your personal, religious belief system on my children.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/12/14 5:24 am

I think most of the general public is kicking out God out of life

ScrewU Gone
06/12/14 3:42 am

I assure you that on test day God is alive and well in our schools.

jmw7477 Indiana
06/12/14 2:43 am

Religion shouldn't be in school. Prayer should be allowed as long as it doesn't interfere with class.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
06/11/14 7:14 pm

If God can be kicked out of somewhere he isnt all powerful

I've been allowed to pray in schools

however I shouldn't be allowed to force other people to do so

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
06/11/14 6:56 pm

God was never in the schools. I just remember reciting the Pledge in the 70's and that was it.

teachinla California
06/11/14 9:56 am

Only somewhat. When my school's ACLU tattle tale transferred to another school, we brought back Christmas carols, and one Jewish teacher was able to teach her students about Hanukkah. LAUSD has changed its policy, as well. While you can't

teachinla California
06/11/14 9:56 am

teach religion, you can teach about religion.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
06/11/14 4:25 pm

ACLU tattletale? How about whistleblower.

It is inappropriate in all cases for teachers to proselytize or give preference to one religion over another. It has never been illegal to teach about religions if they touch on your topic, but MANY

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
06/11/14 4:26 pm

...teachers use this as a cover to inappropriately and illegally push their beliefs on a young impressionable audience.

Think of the religious activities you engage in. Imagine me doing the same thing with atheism. Are you okay with that?

ScrewU Gone
06/12/14 3:41 am

But it's OK for teachers to push atheism?

Pumpkin127
06/11/14 7:46 am

He was never supposed to be in public schools.

calicosolo Wisconsin
06/11/14 6:42 am

No "god" isn't. sadly still somewhat in schools

paranoidandroid peace love science
06/11/14 6:29 am

Was god ever in school? He wasn't when I went to school in the 80's/90's. Since he's supposably all knowing he doesn't need to be in school :P

paranoidandroid peace love science
06/11/14 6:29 am

God(s) only belong in churches, synagogues, mosques, etc and *private* schools and organizations... not in public schools.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
06/10/14 10:44 pm

I went to school in the 80's & I don't remember god ever being in school. We didn't pray in class, didn't have periods on religion, etc. we said the pledge in elementary, but my 11 yo did too. So I'm confused by the whole "we kicked god out" rhetoric

KatG Liberal in Ohio
06/10/14 10:46 pm

The only thing religious wise that ever happened was at the holiday parties when the Jehovah Witness kids couldn't participate. Schools still have holiday parties though.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/11/14 4:46 am

I've often wondered the same thing. I went to school in the 50's. We also didn't have anything religious. During my elementary school years, the Pledge didn't have 'under God'. It was added in 1954, when I was 12 years old.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/10/14 10:08 pm

As God is everywhere, I should hope so. Class overcrowding is a major issue and if He's taking up a seat in each class... Well that's just rude.

Mattwall1
06/10/14 9:53 pm

Any student, teacher, or administrator can-and should always be able to-pray if they wish. They can also choose not to pray. What is not and should never be allowed is public prayer led by an authority figure. The whole "God is kicked out of schools"

Mattwall1
06/10/14 9:54 pm

Thing is a lie designed to bring back authors led prayer. Anyone should be allowed to pray if they wish. They already can, and I'd defend anyone's right to do so. What should not be done, and currently cannot be done, is authority led prayer. For

Mattwall1
06/10/14 9:55 pm

Whatever reason, some people want to bring that back. And that, I will fight with every bone in my body.

teachinla California
06/11/14 10:02 am

But then you have that ridiculous situation in one high school, where all clubs have to have a faculty member present and involved; however, in the religious clubs the faculty member is forbidden to pray. So much for freedom of worship or speech.

Mattwall1
06/11/14 10:44 am

Not quite. They can't LEAD the prayer. Nothing can legally prevent them from praying on their own through

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/10/14 9:41 pm

He/she/it/they are as much in school as at any other time.

kermie gaytopia
06/10/14 9:41 pm

Let's hope so!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/10/14 9:36 pm

Ridiculous in several ways.

First of all, God can't be "kicked out" of anywhere. He is everywhere, for those who believe in the Abrahamic God. And if you don't quite believe that, surely He can go wherever He wants to.

Also, when people ...

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/10/14 9:40 pm

... make this argument, they are usually referring to authority-led prayers in public school or prayers at school events. They tend to distort the facts and say that "prayer is not allowed" in public school.

That is a lie! If a child wants ...

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/10/14 9:44 pm

... to say his own private prayer, he must be allowed to do so. No school has a rule against this, because it would violate that child's right to practice his religion. However, *publicly-led prayers* are not allowed.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/10/14 9:56 pm

GRAND - had this conversation w my dad who was advocating that creationism be taught alongside evolution. I asked why. He said "because we have to get God back in the classroom. Teaching evolution goes against the Bible." I asked if when he was in

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/10/14 9:58 pm

School id he had learned about evolution - he had. I then asked if creation was taught as well - it wasn't. I asked if learning about one theory in school and the other in church damaged his relationship with God - it had not. So I reasked why it was

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/10/14 10:01 pm

Important that we teach it today. He said he would "have to think about it," which is as close as my father gets to saying he was wrong. Christians seem to become fixated on the tiniest parts of the religion and in doing so turn away from the lessons

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/10/14 10:03 pm

That encompass the faith.

On a related note, i did a poll asking if christians would send their kids to christian classes for 3 hours every day like folks following Judaism. Few would. Most thought 3 hrs was too long. I can only take this to mean

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/10/14 10:05 pm

That for many actual education on the Christian faith for their kids is not nearly as important as ensuring their religion is thrust on the kids of others.

kermie gaytopia
06/10/14 10:15 pm

Ha! Imagine that.

Mattwall1
06/11/14 6:07 pm

Shazam-while I said no some to the question asking about Christianity, I wouldn't mind if a future is of mine wanted to go to the Jewish equivalent (though I'm still not entirely sure what you were referring to. I've never heard of three hour daily

Mattwall1
06/11/14 6:08 pm

Lessons, unless it was a reference to lessons related to a bar mitzvah) I wouldn't require them to go, but if they asked, id let them

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/11/14 6:37 pm

Shazam, Matt is right. I also questioned where you said, "Everyday after school ... he learned about Judaism for 3 hours." Hardly any Jewish parents could get their kids to follow such a schedule! I used to go twice a week for 2 hours each ...

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/11/14 6:39 pm

... day, as well as Sunday mornings, another 2-3 hours. Even then, I would sometimes play hooky. (True confession time. LOL)

As Matt said, your friend might have been working on a Bar Mitzvah, which requires additional training. This would ...

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/11/14 6:41 pm

... especially be likely, if he had not attended Hebrew school (as it is called), when he was younger. Then, he would have needed to do some intensive catch up work, on a tight schedule.

Torfin Never Behind
06/10/14 9:32 pm

But it does not mean He will stay out ;)