commonsense June 10th, 2014 4:06pm

Hillary Clinton's joint tax return with Bill for 2001 showed a $16,165,110 (that's millions) income for her first year out of the White House. She considers that "Dead broke". Is she trying to sound like she was poor to get the sympathy vote?

debob texas
06/11/14 9:17 pm

All the democrats said no - REALLY?

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
06/10/14 5:15 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if she was telling the truth. People will actually vote for someone that will probably do the same to our economy.

kscott516 Masks fail
06/10/14 3:56 pm

"Clinton had signed an $8 million book deal (for her previous book). Before leaving the White House they bought a $3 million Washington home and a nearly $2 million home in Chappaqua, New York."

She's a complete liar.

DavesNotHere where am I
06/10/14 2:37 pm

Sympathy, no. Bad choice of words, yes.

comppete Las Vegas
06/10/14 1:31 pm

She has been and always will be a god damn liar. Just like the Master, Obama.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/10/14 1:22 pm

Sympathy vote? That's ridiculous. She is likely trying to relate to the other classes, though.

commonsense America isnt racist
06/10/14 3:45 pm

Okay, maybe not sympathy but maybe empathy... ?
Like : Look at me, I'm just like you, not disgustingly rich.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/10/14 7:28 pm

Right - but I guess I wouldn't quite call it empathy so much as the inverse maybe? Not that she's trying to get people to empathize with her but that she wants them to feel se empathizes with them.

asia
06/10/14 1:08 pm

Your question is spurious. She referred to when they left the White House. Your question is about the year after they left the a White House.

Nobody begrudged Reagan the millions he made giving speeches. And my guess would be that all of the

asia
06/10/14 1:10 pm

presidents in recent memory have done the same with the possible exception of Jimmy Carter, who seemed genuinely interested in public service and not wealth accumulation. No doubt Obama will do the same and for a long time as he will be leaving

asia
06/10/14 1:10 pm

office as a relatively young president.

commonsense America isnt racist
06/10/14 3:44 pm

I'm not saying presidents can't make millions. I'm all for it. I love it.

I'm saying she just said "when I left the White House I was broke" and that year she had $16 million on taxable income.

That tells me, she doesn't know what "broke" means.

asia
06/11/14 5:33 pm

CS, they left office on 20 January of 2001. Her taxable income for 2001 (which ended 31 Dec 2001) was in the millions. It is possible to be broke (assets = or < liabilities) on 20 January and to make millions in the remaining 11 months of the year.

commonsense America isnt racist
06/11/14 5:37 pm

Okay, so the taxable income of $16 million came to them at the last year in office. Giving them a full year to blow it all while in office.....

Hmm, even for people with multiple mortgages , that's difficult to do.

asia
06/11/14 5:39 pm

Commonsense ... Reread my post and use some common sense.

commonsense America isnt racist
06/11/14 5:46 pm

Oh calm down. I read only 1/2 your comment and responded too fast. I'm in the middle of something, I'll be back later.

jmw7477 Indiana
06/10/14 12:57 pm

"Broke" is relative. What I think of as broke isn't what other people would consider broke.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
06/10/14 12:41 pm

She doesn't have to do anything to get votes when she is unopposed. You can't get beat if you don't have any players on the field. It's a forfeite.

Pumpkin127
06/10/14 10:37 am

I think it's relative for some people. If their bank account is emptier than they're used to they might consider themselves "broke"

kscott516 Masks fail
06/10/14 3:47 pm

That would be her own fault. They didn't have to pay a mortgage for almost 20 yrs and yet made multi-millions. No excuse.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
06/10/14 10:20 am

A tax return doesn't list their debt. Maybe once everything got paid, there wasn't much left. Who knows for sure?

asia
06/10/14 1:12 pm

And they were up to their eardrums in debt for defending themselves against all the lawsuits (foolish and otherwise) filed against them while they were in the White House

commonsense America isnt racist
06/10/14 3:41 pm

Good point, katg, thanks for that perspective.

knetzere Illinois
06/10/14 10:04 am

bill makes 250k yearly just in pension not counting any book and speech related income. i think people that are dead broke could find some use for that cash.

im not dead broke but i think i could make some improvements with 833 times the income

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
06/10/14 9:51 am

Funny thing is her delusional fans...er, I mean lockstepping Democrats will actually believe this!

jaydub951 Southern California
06/10/14 9:32 am

She doesn't want to be labeled as a "1%er".

political Georgia
06/10/14 9:09 am

Pretty soon, she will tell us that she is currently eligible for food stamps.

MichaelAZuniga Jackson, GA
06/10/14 9:09 am

I didn't realize that absolutely nothing can happen between 2001 and 2014.