Praetorianus June 10th, 2014 3:56am

Does either capital punishment or abortion contradict the spirit of the Declaration of Independence because of the unalienable right to life acknowledged there?

DrDollylonglegs in the lab... again
06/11/14 10:33 am

Is incarceration of criminals also unconstitutional due to the stated right to life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness?

closed Lol hi
06/10/14 11:05 pm

Don't kill innocent babies but please kill criminals

commonsense America isnt racist
06/10/14 9:26 am

No, i don think so. Its not law.
But when you commit a heinous crime and are convicted and sentenced to die, you forfeit certain rights.

As for abortion, im torn on it. I think its okay before 25 weeks. After 25 weeks, the woman should know.

ozzy
06/10/14 6:02 am

Yes. Abortion contradicts our natural rights

skinner Jersey City
06/10/14 3:27 am

The Declaration of Independence is not a legal document

smacc DunningKruger
06/09/14 11:32 pm

I don't think I'd contradicts the spirit since capital punishment was use at that time.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:17 pm

I'm not really sure what the "spirit" of the Declaration is meant to be anyway, given that it was blatant doublespeak when drafted.

Mattwall1
06/09/14 9:23 pm

If I may ask, by blatant doublespeak are you referring to the all men are created equal while many owned slaves and many more supported it as property rights, or something else?

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:27 pm

That would be the biggest gaping hypocrisy I was thinking of, yes. Also limiting voting rights to those wealthy enough to already "own" property (according to laws they established anew anyway) and countless other indignities done to many.

Mattwall1
06/09/14 9:29 pm

I did hear one person say that if the founders were alive today, we'd probably be calling them things like "elitist prices" and "hypocritical (insert expletive here)" I'm not sure about that, but it is a bit eye opening to hear

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/09/14 9:41 pm

The debate takes an interesting, unintended turn and I have to admit I have no counter to the claim of hypocrisy. It was drafted by white men, and neither women nor non Caucasians had a say at that time.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/09/14 8:58 pm

Admitted, unalienable here only means that it cannot be transferred or given away, not that it can't be forfeited. However, I prefer to see it that way and am pro life both ways.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/09/14 9:04 pm

I base this opinion on the third definition of "alienate" in Merriam Webster which is "to cause to be withdrawn (...)".