DerekWills June 9th, 2014 9:24pm

Bigot - a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. If a person actively seeks to ban certain firearms, are they technically a bigot?

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:35 pm

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/09/14 6:05 pm

Of course. People mistakenly think that bigotry has to be about race or homosexuality, but they are wrong.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/09/14 6:06 pm

They don't like people talking about other bigotries because they think it waters-down their bigotry claims.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 3:46 pm

Of course not. If it becomes an obsession for them to the point that they are unable to be civil to those with different opinions, then THAT might make them a bigot. But simply advocating for legislation doesn't by itself make someone a bigot.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 6:36 pm

So advocating for a ban on homosexual marriage would NOT make someone a bigot? Just trying to see if I understand you correctly.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 8:27 pm

Depends on if they have valid reasons for advocating for it. I've yet to hear any.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 8:32 pm

Some could use that exact explanation for restricting gun rights. Seems like we're beating the same dead horse, just with two different sticks.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:07 pm

So you would consider the desire to possess firearms to be a deeply ingrained characteristic on the order if sexual orientation? Interesting. I've heard of people finding guns to be a turn on but not to that extreme before.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:15 pm

Not at all. It was simply an example. It may have been to an extreme, but it was spontaneous. For the record, I'm not defending either side. I'm really only clarifying the current question. No side motives or anything like that.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:21 pm

Well, like I said, advocating for legislation in the abstract doesn't make one a bigot. Advocating to keep two people go love each other from entering into a marriage contract needs some pretty solid basis. Advocating to keep psychos from obtaining

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:22 pm

weapons is a longer route from bigotry as far as I can tell. Neither is necessarily in all cases bigotry. But one is a hell of a lot closer to it than the other.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:26 pm

Where did the 'psychos' bit come from? Seems to me judgement is being passed already. How is that really all that different from a religious person viewing homosexuality as wrong?

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:28 pm

You think advocates for gun control want to keep guns out of the hands of people who won't hurt anyone? Perhaps the reason for the false equivalency, then, is that you don't understand arguments in favor of gun control.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:31 pm

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:35 pm

This isn't about gun rights or homosexuality, really. I answered the question as 'yes' because of the labels and attitudes that transpire between those that support gun control and those that support gun rights. Sorry posted it in the wrong spot.

bethanyq Ess Eff
06/09/14 9:38 pm

"And you think advocates for gun control don't automatically label all guns rights enthusiasts as 'psychos'? Seems that's already been answered."

When? Where? By your assumptions? By "psychos" I meant violent criminals. Thought that obvious.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:43 pm

You may have meant that. My apologies, I did not catch your sentiment. This, however is far from the only discussion on gun right where the right and left exchange such labels with each other. That's why I say the definition fits.

presrvd Phoenix
06/09/14 9:44 pm

I apologize for my demeanor. This isn't normally how I am. It was the only way I could come up with to make my point.

MadCow True GOP
06/09/14 3:20 pm

There is so much more to life than guns, Derek, you should try it.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
06/09/14 3:29 pm

No there's not!!! Stop with your lies!!!!

CalTexHawk spiral arm
06/09/14 3:17 pm

Perhaps including the entire definition would be handy

MJSeals J.D.
06/09/14 2:37 pm

Not by definition...?

droo Santa Barbara
06/09/14 2:26 pm

If they are completely close-minded and hateful of those who disagree with them, yes. But simply advocating a position does not make one a bigot.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
06/09/14 2:28 pm

I guess the same could be said for me because my views on gun rights are locked in.... I'm a pro-gun bigot! Haha!

droo Santa Barbara