SmileyMoM June 9th, 2014 6:10pm

Would you ever choose to build a home and live in a town that is totally doing things "Green"? Greensburg KS was totally destroyed by a tornado in May 2007. They vowed to rebuild the town earth friendly.

Ivyra Earth
06/10/14 7:56 pm

I don't really care for those things. I'd rather focus on other stuff.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
06/10/14 6:07 pm

I drove through Greensburg not too long after the tornado. It was devastating :-/

calicosolo Wisconsin
06/10/14 3:26 pm

Living green is good

TheeCourt Realville
06/10/14 1:17 pm

Here lies Greenburg, KS:
Survived and thrived through dust bowls and a multitude of tornados.
Yet couldn't survive the hoax of AGW, the economic tornado that gains power by recruiting the inane to believe the fallacies of going green. A fools demise.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/10/14 9:27 am

Yes if my level of participation in the nonsense is totally up to me, no if it imposes restrictions or limitations beyond those already imposed nationwide.

presrvd Phoenix
06/10/14 10:17 pm

^^This. I would throw cost in there as a factor as well. I don't want to pay extra to be "green".

rons screw politicians
06/10/14 8:21 am

So they have no electricity generated by traditional means. They eat only organic. Recycle their poop. Nothing with or made with petroleum. Neat!

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/09/14 11:42 am

Interesting from my first reaction to reading the comments... How resistant to tornados are windmills?

SmileyMoM Lab Rat Vampire
06/09/14 10:22 pm

I think that nothing is resistant. Google photos from after the tornado. But I think the have worked hard to rebuild the town to be the safest possible. For example basement storm shelters are required in all homes and buildings.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/09/14 11:04 pm

Just amazed that I recognized the tu form vs the Ud ending.

The Mrs and I took some community ed classes a while back. Some of it stuck. Particularly the difference between año and ano.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/09/14 11:05 pm

Whoa!! Major major reply fail. Sorry...

2katz I live in Nebraska
06/09/14 11:30 am

Would be an interesting place to visit. But it would probably be like living with the Homeowners Association from Hell.

SmileyMoM Lab Rat Vampire
06/09/14 10:23 pm

That could be. I don't really know anyone who has rebuilt there.

SmileyMoM Lab Rat Vampire
06/09/14 11:20 am

I have lived all my life about 100 miles from Greensburg. I so remember the storm we had that weekend.
Now Greensburg is coming back. It is more expensive to build there to the "green" codes that they now require. Is it worth it?

yorkie62
06/09/14 9:02 pm

I live in Stevens CT. I drive through to Wichita & KC. It'll never recover in my lifetime. There's just not enough jobs out here.

SmileyMoM Lab Rat Vampire
06/09/14 10:13 pm

Greensburg is middle of no where small town flatlands Kansas. Also home of The Worlds Largest Hand Dug Well. And no I don't think there a lot of near by job opportunities. It's more people live around because it's home.

SmileyMoM Lab Rat Vampire
06/09/14 10:16 pm

Many of the families that lost their homes and everything they owned could not to afford to rebuild to the standards of Greensburg now. They relocated out in the country or in a near by small town or they left all together.

SmileyMoM Lab Rat Vampire
06/09/14 10:18 pm

And is there enough about the green movement to bring people into Greensburg?