CSApride June 9th, 2014 12:04am

Who would you vote for in 2016 if these were the candidates

musiman28 Cotton country
06/08/14 6:42 pm

Biden is the Palin of the democrat party.

EarthMunkey The Golden Rule. Always.
06/08/14 7:41 pm

True True. The dude is no public speaker. =)

06/08/14 6:33 pm

Look at conservative elections like Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and Dwight D. Eisenhower compared to when moderates ran such as Bob Dole, John McCain, and Mitt Romney

06/08/14 6:35 pm

Since when were Nixon and Eisenhower strong conservatives? They were pretty close to centrists.

06/08/14 6:40 pm

Nixon was on the right wing in the political spectrum if you look at it, and Eisenhower I believe was pretty conservative since republicans after WWII became the conservative party

06/08/14 6:43 pm

The Republican Party has always been the conservative party but America was much farther to the left fiscally during the mid 20th century. So what they considered conservative would probably be liberal at this point. If you look at what Nixon and

06/08/14 6:44 pm

Eisenhower did as president you will see that they did a lot of things that can be construed as liberal, such as Eisenhower's highway project or Nixon creating the EPA.

06/08/14 6:45 pm

In the 18th century the republicans were leaning further left and democrats were conservative. In the 19th century the political parties switched views except for some outcasts before they swapped views like woodrow Wilson and Calvin Coolidge

06/08/14 6:47 pm

I've heard that theory but I don't believe it. The GOP has always been solidly pro business.

06/08/14 6:55 pm

Democrats in the 1800s were more for states rights and less federal government. Also for strict interpretation of the constitution, while republicans were opposite, then everything changed when FDR died

06/08/14 6:55 pm

06/09/14 3:47 am

While it is true that Democrats were much more adherent to the Constitution during that time I would argue that both parties were. The difference was that the Democrats were fiscally liberal and supported by populists while the Republicans were

06/09/14 3:48 am

Fiscally conservative and did everything they could to help businesses or to revert to a laissez faire economy. The main difference is that before the New Deal the mainstream political spectrum was much farther to the right.

RINOTom Peoria, IL
06/10/14 10:18 pm

Exactly, skinner. I'll die before I acknowledge that modern day Republicans carry the legacy of a bunch of racist Democrats. Dems have always been for the working man and the Party of Lincoln has always been pro-business. Period.

06/11/14 4:52 am

Well I would argue that Republican policies also help the working man but I see your point

Torfin Never Behind
06/08/14 6:31 pm

Talk about having to hold your nose to vote.

06/08/14 6:09 pm

Rand Paul. I think he would be a great president and I agree with him on many issues. Of course I would in real life be concerned about his electability.

06/08/14 6:25 pm

How so?

06/08/14 6:27 pm

He's seen by many people as a fringe candidate. He may have difficulty appealing to moderate and independent voters who are vital to deciding elections

06/08/14 6:28 pm

Yes but many tea party and libertarians would vote for him

06/08/14 6:30 pm

And if you look at past elections you'd see the major conservatives win big while moderates never get their, look at Ronald Reagan's elections compared to Bob Dole in 1996

political Georgia
06/08/14 6:31 pm

Electability has little to no effect on which person I will support, but I do see how you can worry about your guy getting elected. Of course, you want the person you voted for to win.

06/08/14 6:33 pm

Meh, Tea Partiers are good for getting out the vote but there aren't too many of them and their support is declining. Libertarians will just vote for the LP candidate. Our problem lately isn't that our candidates are too moderate it's that the

06/08/14 6:34 pm

elections simply were not ours to win. It's tough to beat an incumbent.

06/08/14 6:41 pm

True but the libertarian party is said to be millions of voters by 2016 along with a couple million in the tea party. The libertarian party is also getting larger so it's vital to gain their support. The libertarians and tea party probably make up...

06/08/14 6:44 pm

... 5% of voters in 2016 if you add that to the 47% of the voters in 2012 for republicans that would give republicans the majority and if you look at history 95% of the time the majority wins

06/08/14 6:46 pm

But we can't assume that everyone who voted for Romney in 2012 will want to vote for Paul in 2016, these are two very different candidates. Additionally many tea partiers did vote for Romney.

06/08/14 6:49 pm

But many will, it's not like moderates will vote for a democrat, in 2012 I thought Romney was way to moderate for me but I voted for him, same with many other republicans, so they'd most likely do the same for conservatives

06/08/14 6:50 pm

That's the thing. Romney was the best candidate for you because he was closer to your end of the spectrum than Obama. With moderates and independents it's different. If let's say Hillary Clinton is closer to their end of the spectrum than Rand Paul

06/08/14 6:51 pm

then they will simply vote for her over Paul

06/08/14 6:54 pm

Well Hilary Clinton and joe Biden are liberal nut jobs, a lot of democrats say they're too far left for them including to my friend who's pretty liberal

06/08/14 6:58 pm

Rand Paul is like a modern day Reagan, he will find a way to get the votes of democrats and moderates because he's very popular, and he's one of the few non-corrupt, and non-idiotic politician

06/09/14 3:48 am

I hope you're right but I'm skeptical

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/08/14 5:38 pm

I really don't like Rand. He aligns more with my views, but I just could not bring myself to vote for him.