nicolebliss31 June 5th, 2014 12:53am

Is it better to home school or public school an Autistic child?

jestana My Minds Eye
06/06/14 8:38 pm

Non-public school specializing in autism. The social environment has helped w breakthroughs.

AussieGirl Oz the Land of Wonder
06/05/14 7:37 am

The child needs experiences with socialization and social skills that the family can't provide in the home. Ultimately the child must learn to function in the larger society. I'm an SLP with a lot of experience working with children on the spectrum.

nicolebliss31
06/05/14 7:56 am

There are special programs our library has three times a week for children of special needs. My son can not talk and I had to take him out of early education because it wasn't working. Since working with him at home and taking him to these events he

waterstar
06/05/14 7:58 am

I worked with severe / profound autistics in a middle school public school setting. The severity of their disability required a self contained classroom but the placement in a public school allowed for them to experience controlled social situations.

waterstar
06/05/14 8:02 am

…it also allowed regular ed students to come into my classroom. As far as home schooling? No thanks for this population. The support services are essential and parents would be overwhelmed. I loved my SPL … always so willing to try anything!

nicolebliss31
06/05/14 8:07 am

I no longer get support services from the public school/county. I had to end them because my son couldn't handle it. He started showing signs of regression

waterstar
06/05/14 8:29 am

Nicolebliss, you must do what works for your child. The kids I worked with thrived in a rigid scheduled environment, reduced noise, fluorescent lighting…

waterstar
06/05/14 8:29 am

…sensory integration, and lots if picture communication. They were allowed time to do their 'thing'. Only when they felt safe could we start the learning part.

Newtothis
06/05/14 7:26 am

Well, it really depends on 1) How sevearly autistic the child is, 2) How well the parent is in dealling with the child, and 3) if the school has a good program for the child. Sevearly autistic+prepared parent=home. Mildly autistic=school.

nicolebliss31
06/05/14 7:59 am

Severely autistic. He can not talk. He will scream for things he wants. I had to take him out of early education because he wouldn't stop hitting kids. Since being home and going to special social events he has been making improvements.

Newtothis
06/05/14 8:05 am

As the child of a pair of teachers, keep him homeschooled and provide social situations for the child, but only if you are trained to work with autistic children. otherwise, send him to a school for autistic children.

nicolebliss31
06/05/14 8:09 am

We don't have a special school for autistic children where I live. I do have training working with special needs children. As a teachers aide that is what I did.

Rosebud Ohio
06/05/14 6:36 am

Home, unless there is a public school that excels at managing difficult situations and working well with children's individual quirks nearby.

usernamehere Raise a little hell
06/05/14 5:56 am

There are some great public school special ed programs. It depends on both the kid and the nearby schools.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 10:45 pm

I'm sure that depends on the kid, I'm not sure there can be a one size fits all answer. If the kid is able to adjust to the public school environment, that would be my choice.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
06/04/14 10:40 pm

Homeschool, but make sure the child has opportunities for socialization as well.

nicolebliss31
06/05/14 8:03 am

Our library has social events three times week for special needs children. I take my son to every event. He don't like being in a class room with a lot of kids. I had to take him out of early education

jestana My Minds Eye
06/06/14 8:39 pm

Thanks for the follow. I love the community here!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/04/14 10:15 pm

It's better to homeschool ANY child.

firefly5 the verse
06/04/14 10:03 pm

I'll be changing my vote back and forth for a bit here. count MI as purple.

TierasPet
06/04/14 7:02 pm

I would say homeschool if you can.