Abolitionist June 4th, 2014 9:20pm

A recent study by the Annenberg Public Policy Center titled found that Stephen Colbert is doing a better job of educating the country on serious issues like campaign finance than coverage from actual cable news shows on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/05/14 3:21 pm

I don't watch him because, we'll, I don't watch hardly any TV. I do read news sites from Fox, WSJ, msnbc, and Yahoo almost every day. I also listen to NPR on the radio practically every day. I think I'm well informed.

Colorado303 Future Seattle Resident
06/04/14 6:05 pm

And he's hilarious at the same time. I'd watch his show over any news channel anytime

Pirate Uses the Tap
06/04/14 5:40 pm

I can not stand to watch network news, I mean the nursing home news and entertainment show as I call it.

EarlyBird Portland
06/04/14 5:54 pm

That's great :)

RoDe Latinus wordsus
06/04/14 5:21 pm

I don't see this as being that bad. I think were all aware of what a poor job FOX, MSNBC, and CNN are doing, at least someone is doing a good job. And at least that someone is taking over the Tonight show, where his views will have far more exposure.

Jack14 Massachusetts
06/04/14 5:15 pm

The really sad part is that I know this is true without being shocked.

CalTexHawk spiral arm
06/04/14 4:10 pm

There must be an underlying assumption in the study that his viewers understand his sarcasm.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/05/14 3:22 pm

Is he a purveyor of hyperbole for entertainment and shock value? I can appreciate that.

fredd TrumpLand
06/04/14 4:08 pm

This is why I don't watch cable news. They're all awful.

MrWolfe Nashville
06/04/14 3:26 pm

I said 'pathetic' simply because the cable news shows are so bad, but it's not sad.
Humor is a great learning tool to use. Think about teachers you had in school that made a subject fun because they made you laugh... no different

Abolitionist Voice of the people
06/04/14 3:34 pm

That study also showed what every other study has showed; fox viewers are the least informed out of ALL network viewers.

06/04/14 4:18 pm

That's not true, abo. The article clearly states that cnn viewers knew the least about this topic.
Also, this study was only about what viewers knew about campaign finance reform. That's hardly a general intelligence test.

06/04/14 4:18 pm

"Talk radio, newspapers and Fox News correlated with slightly increased knowledge about campaign finance. But CNN and broadcast channels correlated with decreased knowledge."

Abolitionist Voice of the people
06/04/14 4:48 pm

Study after study shows fox viewers are less informed than any other cable viewers. I'm sure MSNBC is close but right now fox is leading in misinformation.

06/04/14 4:50 pm

This study doesn't show that, abo.

MrWolfe Nashville
06/04/14 4:58 pm

It's not that hard to find independent, non-partisan sources with controlled surveys which conclude that Fox viewers (especially exclusive ones) are less informed across the board, with MSNBC not far behind.

06/04/14 5:08 pm

That's beside the point.
I'm simply pointing out that Abo misrepresented what this article said. End of story.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
06/04/14 5:34 pm

I love how milk drizzle debates. Says bullshit, gets proved wrong, still walks around like he's a righteous genius. Lol anyone can read your comment and the argument you were trying to make. Our point? It's a fact fox viewers are the most ignorant

06/04/14 5:38 pm

Abo, I was simply pointing out your misrepresentation about this article.
This isn't a debate. The article clearly doesn't say what you claimed.
You were wrong, just admit it for once.

06/04/14 5:39 pm

I haven't made any claims outside of what this specific article says.

06/04/14 5:41 pm

So, just for fun, what have I said here that you believe is "bullshit"?
I've only stated obvious facts.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
06/05/14 5:28 am

The article says fox viewers are the least informed on campaign finance laws. I replied to Wolfe saying this study is consistent what all the other studies say: fox viewers are the least informed cable viewers. You said that isn't true, you're wrong.

06/05/14 5:32 am

That's false again.
Go find the quote I posted.

06/05/14 5:33 am

I'll post it again for you:

06/05/14 5:35 am

Tell me where it says in that article that fox viewers are the least informed.
Post the quote.

06/05/14 5:40 am

Fox is specifically mentioned 3 times in that article. First along with all networks to say Colbert outperformed them in this metric.
Second in my quote.
Third in a statement claiming fox's viewership among younger viewers is down.

06/05/14 5:41 am

You're just restating your lie without supporting evidence hoping people will take your word for it.

But anyone with two brain cells will read this and realize your comment was false.

Just admit for once that you were wrong.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
06/05/14 5:53 am

This is why arguing with stay at home dads isn't good for a working man. You have 3 replies for every one and you completely distort everything I said. My point- fox viewers are the dumbest news viewers in cable land. Find something to disprove that.

06/05/14 5:57 am

This article doesn't say that, abo.
You said it does, but it doesn't.

You were wrong. Just admit it.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
06/04/14 2:28 pm

at least someone is teaching them something useful

MJSeals J.D.
06/04/14 2:22 pm

I guess that means campaign finances laws are a joke!

Abolitionist Voice of the people
06/04/14 2:24 pm

Yes. It also means the corporate media is doing it's job; dividing the people while ignoring real topics.