Mattwall1 June 4th, 2014 1:50pm

Fossil fuels such as oil and coal are important energy sources and should be kept. Diversifying energy consumption to include greater amounts of other energy sources, such as nuclear, solar, etc. shouldn't be attacked because it isn't oil or coal.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
06/04/14 10:31 am

I agree. Why limit our energy production? Why not pursue all of the above. We need cheap energy now. Solar and wind are still a long ways from high-efficiency/low-cost.
Why not use coal/oil/nuclear now while continuing to better wind and solar?

Mattwall1
06/04/14 11:13 am

I agree with you on that.

ProfDG I Want Truth
06/04/14 10:23 am

I believe that each energy source has place where it is best utilized. I don't, however, think it should be dictated by the government. For example, in Arizona everyone would benefit from solar panels because it's clean and cost effective.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 10:03 am

Yes it should be kept! Duh! But looking ahead is good. We should invest in cleaning up oil and coal.

fredd TrumpLand
06/04/14 8:54 am

Well I think there should be plans to phase out or clean up coal as soon as possible. A well as being the highest carbon emitter, coal pollution kills. It's that simple.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 7:26 am

Why keep any inferior and demonstrably harmful source if alternatives that are better in every way except generating profit for a handful of large corporations?

Mattwall1
06/04/14 7:39 am

Logistics. It's one thing if after a long period, they're eventually no longer used. But as soon as some want? I'll be honest-I'm not sure it's feasible

Diknak Ohio
06/04/14 7:41 am

necessity. The technology isn't available to (realistically) power the country with solar and wind. And nuclear takes a LOT of red tape at the moment.

Diknak Ohio
06/04/14 7:42 am

dirty fuel should be phased out, but it will have to be done as others gain efficiency.

06/04/14 8:01 am

How naive! Do you honestly believe that any mainstream energy source, be it solar, wind, or nuclear, won't be controlled by large corporations making huge profits? Of course they will. Coal and oil corps are not going to just go away.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 10:05 am

Give it a hundred years or so and it will be gone!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 12:29 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the tallow and whale oil companies felt their product was irreplaceable at some point too - probably a year or two before they shut the doors forever.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 12:33 pm

Alternatives look more attractive on cost alone when the cost of traditional every goes up, and that can happen tomorrow by simply ending the subsidies and incentives those legacy energy companies currently use to keep cost low and profit high.

06/04/14 12:35 pm

Oil companies don't receive subsidies.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 12:49 pm

Yeah, they do. But I won't quibble over semantics. End their special tax breaks that aren't "subsidies" (wink wink) if that makes you feel better:

www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/oil-subsidies-renewable-energy-tax-breaks

06/04/14 12:56 pm

A subsidy is a payment from the govt. A tax break simply means they PAY less to the govt.

In any case, renewable energy companies receive three times as much in "subsidies" so...

06/04/14 12:56 pm

www.forbes.com/sites/davidblackmon/2013/01/02/oil-gas-tax-provisions-are-not-subsidies-for-big-oil/

Oil companies also receive the same or less tax breaks as every other industry out there. The difference is the total $ amount is larger bc

06/04/14 12:57 pm

oil and it's subsidiary products are used on a much grander scale. Keep chasing that boogeyman!

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 12:59 pm

Doesn't GE get special tax breaks and a dozen other companies.

06/04/14 1:12 pm

Every business out there gets tax breaks. It's nothing special. They go after oil companies because the $ figure is much larger but that's because their product is much more permeated into our society. They simply sell more in revenue. What do you

06/04/14 1:12 pm

think happens to oil and gas prices (as well as stuff made from plastic) if the tax breaks go away? Prices go up. Simple economics.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 1:18 pm

Careful, Bush and Halliburton will appear any minute. But Halliburton jumped on the Obama train a fews years back!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 1:31 pm

I'll buy that when "every business" gets a depletion allowance, for example. Energy companies get special treatment, not to mention the free use of our military to protect "our" (their) "interests" overseas. It could (and should) end today.

06/04/14 1:45 pm

A depletion allowance is an IRS tax deduction for depreciation. Again, every company has the ability to depreciate assets. It's not out of the ordinary. Blame the IRS, not the oil companies. You have misplaced aggression. As for foreign oil, I bet

06/04/14 1:47 pm

you're against new drilling here, yes? Simple supply and demand. If we can't get oil over there and no new wells here, then supply drops while demand stays the same or increases. Prices go up. Do you not see how you blame one specific industry when

06/04/14 1:48 pm

EVERY large company gets the same or BETTER treatment? Solyndra was given $525M in tax dollars that was lost. Just lost. They bailed out GM and now, I believe, $10B will never be returned. Awesome, right?

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 1:56 pm

Don't forget the $173 B for Fisker the $110k car company for the rich and A123 battery.

06/04/14 1:58 pm

Yes, great example rons. What was that supposed to accomplish?

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 2:02 pm

Nothing but government wasting our money on their energy projects where they could use it to research methods to clean and scrub existing fuels.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 2:30 pm

I'm against expanded drilling anywhere, but especially here. That is an environmental preference. I am also against ALL subsidies, that is an economic preference. Yes, tax reductions ARE subsidies:

www.investopedia.com/terms/s/subsidy.asp

06/04/14 2:34 pm

So then you are ok with gas prices going up $1 or more per gallon if we end their tax breaks? We would also have to eliminate tax breaks for every industry because it's not fair to only do that to oil companies. Cost of goods will skyrocket.

rons WOKE is sick
06/04/14 2:45 pm

When your retired who needs a gas guzzler anyway. Just need a bike and some wood for keeping the house warm.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/14 3:22 pm

You make it sound like you don't think I'm paying that already. So are you. That's the thing about subsidies, everybody pays for them. Whether it's cash just handed to them, or taxes they avoid that get made up by others, it isn't a freebie.

Liberty 4,032,064
06/04/14 6:52 am

I agree, as long as it isn't forced.

Kay41 the Midwest
06/04/14 6:51 am

Off topic Matt... but I just saw your tag line. Are you for sure not going to school next year?

Mattwall1
06/04/14 6:54 am

When I put that up, I was told I was beyond doubt going on a gap year. Now I honestly don't know since my mom has begun doubting whether any gap year programs she's looked into are better than me going to college

Kay41 the Midwest
06/04/14 6:57 am

Well, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. You are more then ready and mature enough to start school next year. In fact, I would bet that you will be more successful than 99% of incoming freshmen.

Mattwall1
06/04/14 7:13 am

Thanks Kay. Although that makes me the 1% still. Oy yoy yoy

fredd TrumpLand
06/04/14 8:55 am

Hmmm forcibly deferred? By your parents Matt?