TalkPolitics June 3rd, 2014 9:42pm

Is sending your kid to a religious school a form of indoctrination?

blitz6799 Chicagoland
06/04/14 6:32 pm

I really feel that the 'public/private schools as indoctrination centers' bluster is a lot of nonsense. I believe more than half of the SOH population is conservative, yet something like 70+% went to public school. In my personal life I, at one

blitz6799 Chicagoland
06/04/14 6:33 pm

time, knew 3 lesbians and 2 gays and we all hung out together (I'm straight). I was the public school student, 3 of them were catholic schoolers, and the other 2 also went to private but I don't know if and what type of religion.

blitz6799 Chicagoland
06/04/14 6:34 pm

So taking my example and the SOH example together, this idea that private schools develop conservatives and public schools develop liberals doesn't appear to be all that successful. Maybe a symbol of effects of parentage?

SugarShaq
06/03/14 11:11 pm

It's called parental CHOICE.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
06/03/14 5:10 pm

Sure and that's part of a parents job

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/03/14 4:44 pm

I went to a Catholic high school. I'm just as atheist now as I was before.

XposeBarak Out There
06/03/14 4:31 pm

Indoctrination-the act of indoctrinating, or teaching or inculcating a doctrine, principle, or ideology, especially one with a specific point of view: religious indoctrination.
I would say that fits the bill.

XposeBarak Out There
06/03/14 4:31 pm

And yes that is exactly why I would send my child to a private school if I didnt live in such a conservative school district.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/03/14 3:16 pm

Indoctrination is unavoidable. Whether you send your child to a public, a private, or a religious school, your child will still be indoctrinated in some form or another.

We just have to try our best to diversify our education.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
06/03/14 3:16 pm

if you don't allow your child to have a different pov from what is being taught, yes

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
06/03/14 3:04 pm

Yes, much like government schools that teach the government religion.

Don't for a second think that public schools don't do the same shit

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/03/14 3:18 pm

What is the government religion? I went to a public school but I am unfamiliar with this faith.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
06/03/14 3:20 pm

The unfailing, unwavering, completely irrational faith in government. You have prayers, idols, priests, everything.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/03/14 3:33 pm

I was never taught to be faithful to the government.

I went a fairly liberal school where the Pledge of Allegiance was not a common tradition. My teachers never mentioned the government outside of History and Government class.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/03/14 3:34 pm

I also have little faith in the government. Therefore, if this religion you speak of was actually practiced in public schools, it is clearly ineffective.

DavesNotHere where am I
06/03/14 3:36 pm

This might depend on different generations. My generation, mostly going to school the 70's, we were not taught that government was a religion. We were taught ( in public school in South Jersey) that the Soviets only religion was government.

DavesNotHere where am I
06/03/14 3:37 pm

Maybe that's changed now, I have not been in a school in 35 years.

fredd TrumpLand
06/03/14 5:03 pm

In RebelReality if you are not 100% anti-government, you must 100% believe that government should control all our lives and you enjoy being a government slave.

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
06/03/14 9:08 pm

That mentality is fairly common among Americans.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
06/03/14 3:02 pm

It depends on the school.

EarthMunkey The Golden Rule. Always.
06/03/14 2:57 pm

It depends.

Yes if you start them off there and your family is religious and want them to learn religious based knowledge.

Doubly yes if one is not religious and it's a secondary school for bad children.

No if the school includes all religions.