droo June 3rd, 2014 3:27am

Are Christians persecuted and discriminated against in the United States?

vin woof
06/05/14 4:37 pm

More common is the opposite. Christians discriminating on Muslims

Sweetmmlus south county
06/03/14 10:52 pm

Everyone gets discriminated in someway by someone. There's always someone who doesn't like the way someone is doing something and has to put their 2 cents into it.

BryanK OK
06/03/14 2:47 pm

No. They're just upset that their beliefs do not dominate every aspect of society anymore.

DavesNotHere where am I
06/03/14 1:44 pm

No, but they do most of the persecuting and discriminating themselves.

Mattwall1
06/03/14 4:39 pm

How so?

RepMorris Pennsylvania
06/03/14 4:43 pm

Being forced to comply with mandates contrary to their right to freely practice their religion and an attempt to silence any Christian voices in schools.

DrReid Ever present.
06/05/14 8:30 am

You mean attempts to push back against the enshrining of Christianity as a state religion?

suppressedID keep Summer safe
06/03/14 8:30 am

Keep telling them they're victims.

Spartacus AUSTIN
06/03/14 5:20 am

Persecuted, lol you poor christians. This is America dammit.

rons WOKE is sick
06/03/14 5:18 am

Normally by the news media.

TRJake Pendragon
06/03/14 3:20 am

*Looks at party filters*
Looks like more than just a few people have a persecution complex.

krayzewolf New Hampshire
06/02/14 10:58 pm

LOL, not in America.

Mattwall1
06/02/14 10:49 pm

No. In some other countries, yes. In the United States? No. I honestly find the claim absurd.

MisterE Conservistan
06/02/14 10:31 pm

They are probably one of the least persecuted groups.

Tariq88 Utah
06/02/14 10:25 pm

Christians I would say rarely. Again I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

06/02/14 10:05 pm

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 5:10

^^^This is the reasons Christians feel they are persecuted here in the US, because it's a free trip to Heaven.

06/02/14 10:07 pm

Clerk at the check out said, "Happy holidays" and BAM, free heaven for you, you poor persecuted martyr.

Your inappropriate Christian privilege was not offered? BAM! Heaven.

getupbaby South City
06/03/14 6:04 am

That is awesome.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
06/03/14 11:28 am

This made me super smile :)

RepMorris Pennsylvania
06/03/14 7:16 pm

Being persecuted does not grant you access to heaven.

comppete Las Vegas
06/02/14 10:05 pm

Yes, especially since the liberals have been in power. But, it will turn around soon enough.

06/03/14 4:43 pm

Most Democrats are Christians, just like most Republicans are Christians.

Wait. It's almost as if the vast majority of this country identify as Christians.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 9:37 pm

I really wonder how many politicians are Christians, but actually aren't.

06/02/14 9:27 pm

I say yes. Christians are still the majority here, but that is being threatened. When we become the minority our society is officially screwed

HayleyS looking up.
06/02/14 9:29 pm

Why are you afraid of being a minority?
Are you saying that we treat minorities poorly?

Mattwall1
06/02/14 9:30 pm

So because there is a growing number of non Christians, that means Christians are being discriminated against and persecuted?

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 9:31 pm

How is it going to be screwed? Have you noticed a positive correlation between nations with lower crime rates and more atheists? Statistics have.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 9:35 pm

When backed into a corner. The raccoon will show it's teeth and lash out. My friends, the raccoon will hurt us all until it is put down or in this case, shown that it's not really threatened simply because it's not big and bad anymore.

06/02/14 10:21 pm

Christians failing to be relevant and keep their membership attending is now discrimination.

Should we force people to attend church?

Hey, I know. Let's let the free market decide. You sell getting up early on Sundays, packaged with self-righteous

06/02/14 10:22 pm

...men telling everyone they are broken and shameful, and that somehow the earth is 6,000 years old, and I'll package sleeping in on Sundays, a rationale moral and ethical system, and sexual liberty.

Let's see who wins.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 10:23 pm

Christians practicing their faith is a right. Christians putting down the little guy, especially because they are scared to be in the position the other guy is in is discrimination

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 10:26 pm

Cite, who was that an argument for? A rational moral and ethical system is what we need

kscott516 Masks fail
06/03/14 4:51 am

Lol, so there's a direct correlation with lower crime rates and atheism?

06/03/14 5:15 am

Wow, just wow. What a sad mentality.

06/03/14 6:17 am

We agree that it is a sad mentality, but likely disagree as to whom we would target with that sentiment.

kscott516 Masks fail
06/03/14 6:20 am

There are direct correlations to higher crime rates in relation to poverty, fatherless homes, and lack of education.

DavesNotHere where am I
06/03/14 1:46 pm

Bluerum, who's going to take your place soon enough?

DavesNotHere where am I
06/03/14 5:21 pm

I mean your place as the majority. You said Christians won't be the majority. Who will be? Muslims?

06/03/14 5:33 pm

It might not be one group, but the collection of everyone else

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/03/14 8:57 pm

Why does it matter what others believe? Do we not have the constitutional right to believe what we wish? Or is that right only guaranteed to one group? If Christians are no longer the majority it's not as if society will break down and crumble.

06/03/14 9:33 pm

It's already crumbling as a result if less Christians and the way of life that leads

06/03/14 9:34 pm

By what metrics would you say the US is crumbling?

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/03/14 9:50 pm

Well 9/11 happened because if all them queermosexuals and us not praying enough.

Mattwall1
06/03/14 9:59 pm

Blue-so what you're saying is that society is crumbling because there are more non Christians, effectively implying Christians are better citizens, more moral, etc?

DavesNotHere where am I
06/04/14 2:38 am

The good ol' days when Americur was mostly Sunday kind of people. Let's see, you had Jim Crow, women suffrage, no voting for minorities, slavery.... Yeah, bring em back.

06/04/14 5:18 am

Nice Talk, that's exactly what I mean. I just live when people use extreme pointless examples that have nothing to do with the conversation.

06/04/14 5:19 am

And Dave, you make me sad, you don't represent that name well

DavesNotHere where am I
06/04/14 6:10 am

You're clueless. I was making fun of your stupidity. What I said should make you sad. I'm not into Christian superiority.

06/04/14 7:05 am

So because I have a different opinion than you regarding the outlook of our society, I'm stupid. Have to love the open mindedness there.

Mattwall1
06/04/14 7:12 am

You have the right to your opinion. But if we started telling you "oh yeah society will only be saved when non Christians are the majority" with a large implication that only non Christianity were moral and good for society, you'd be upset to. And

Mattwall1
06/04/14 7:12 am

Rightly so

06/04/14 7:41 am

The examples that were used were extreme and I'm pretty sure understood that they are not what I meant either. And I don't think that all nonchristians are immoral. That's too general

06/04/14 7:49 am

No, they are not extreme examples. They were the reality of life in the time period you so desire for return to. To state that the country is crumbling, then to ignore the massive progress (with a long way to go in most aspects) gained through the

06/04/14 7:51 am

...is plain stupid. It's ignorance and confirmation bias of the highest order. "If you ignore all the bad stuff, it was a great time, and if you ignore all the good stuff, now is a terrible time." <---That is basically your point and it is stupid.

06/04/14 7:53 am

It is not that you have a different opinion, it is that the opinion is demonstrably false coupled with the pathetic attempts to defend the position that bestows upon you the appellation of "stupid". So, stop whining about being "open minded" and

06/04/14 7:54 am

....evaluate your position with something more recognizable as "critical thinking". Then, we can talk.

06/04/14 8:30 am

The lack of a sense of community in our society, the mentality of younger generations, the me mentality, the live and let live ideals, and the lack of strong family values. These are what is pulling society down.

06/04/14 10:51 am

So you would prefer the opposite of "live and let live", so interfering with the personal lives of others? I am of the strong opinion that this is a major positive, not even close to being a negative.

And we have a sense of community; it simply

06/04/14 10:53 am

...does not conform to the 1950s model. It's is digital and/or facilitated by the digital world. We can build strong affinity groups, rather than simply hope we find someone we like at church. In my opinion, this is another positive of society.

06/04/14 11:11 am

It doesn't have to mean interfering in others lives, more being involved in others lives. Live and let live is too broad and people use it to be able to do what ever they want and tell others to butt out. I don't think that's good. And digital is ok,

06/04/14 11:12 am

But it's not the same. Just because some of our community dynamics have changed doesn't mean they are all good. Technology has helped and hurt society.

06/04/14 11:37 am

What, exactly, is this "whatever you want" that is so troubling to you? Murder is illegal, as are theft and rape. What crimes have been legalized that you think are degrading society?

06/04/14 1:05 pm

It's not just one thing it has a lot to do with how we live everyday. There might be some legal aspects to it, but a majority don't fall under the law. Our standards for how we live, how we expect our kids to live, the bar is lowering it's sad

06/04/14 2:14 pm

What, in specific? What bar has lowered? What expectations of how we live our lives has changed for the worse that has caused the the US to crumble?

usernamehere Raise a little hell
06/02/14 9:08 pm

Yes, but it's not exactly widespread. Atheists, on the other hand, are treated like shit.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 10:16 pm

Article 6 section 8 of North Carolina's constitution:
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office:
First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."
There's like 5 other states like that too I believe. Some not allowing an

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 10:17 pm

an Atheist to be a witness and you don't know how they are being persecuted? How easy do you think it is for an Atheist to go public and be voted into office? Entire faith systems make their members loath this group of people.

06/02/14 10:24 pm

Think for a moment about what you know about me. Go read some of my other posts on this poll. Then, tell me if that's the part of User's post I question.

usernamehere Raise a little hell
06/03/14 5:30 am

There are certain people who are total dicks to Christians for no reason, and who belittle and harass them at every chance. By definition, that's persecution. It's far outweighed by all of the BS atheists have to put up with, though.

06/03/14 6:20 am

I would put persecution at a much higher level. I won't even describe the treatment of atheists as persecution.

usernamehere Raise a little hell
06/03/14 7:05 am

That's probably a better way to view it.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/03/14 9:09 pm

User, are you sure there's no reason?

jayfreeman
06/02/14 9:07 pm

They should be!

bringstheeagle Colorado
06/02/14 8:59 pm

No: I'm a Christian and I don't think so.

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:44 pm

For those Christians who believe their life here in America is one of martyrdom and persecution. More than 75 percent of the United States identifies as Christian; 57 percent believe in the devil, and nearly 8 in 10 Americans believe the Bible to be

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:45 pm

either the ?inspired word? or literal word of God. Not only do you live comfortably in the nation's largest supermajority, but you are able to violate the separation of church and state where other religions can't, nearly every U.S lawmaker is Christ

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:47 pm

ian, your Bible is held in oath at the Supreme Court, your prayers are held in our schools, your saying are on our dollar bills, your God is in our pledge of allegiance, your parental approval ratings as potential spouses for their children are off

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:49 pm

-the-charts, you are believed by most of America as the only people who can have legitimate morals, you can use an Iron-Age book of fairytale myths to decide who marries whom and which women does what with her body, and you aren't considered terroris

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:50 pm

ts when you follow the rituals and practice in your holy book.

Need I say more? You are persecuted in other parts of the world, but you RUN this nation. You are the norm, and anyone who isn't one of you us looked down upon and hated and feared.

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:51 pm

And if you want a link to the statistics which I copied and pasted, here you go.

america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/3/christians-persecutioncomplex.html

06/02/14 9:24 pm

You are quoting that news site, what a joke

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 9:26 pm

I understand a lot of people have a problem with Al Jazeera, and I don't even know where *I* stand with them, but if you want the SAME statistics and even MORE similar statistics, a quick Google search will suffice.

HayleyS looking up.
06/02/14 9:36 pm

That was a really recent survey done that I heard about the other day. It doesn't have all the statistics drooski was referring to, but I figured I would share it anyways.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 10:45 pm

Don't worry Bluerum. No one is telling you that you can't have your religious opinion and worship how you choose. However, we do intends to point out that there is wrongful discrimination and we will make sure that you can't legislate by your

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
06/02/14 10:47 pm

religious opinion. We are not a theocracy. We are (should be) a secular nation with separation of church and state. We shouldn't discriminate against anyone based on religious beliefs. That's called bigotry

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/02/14 8:41 pm

OHT - read mine below. Are we saying the same thing?

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/02/14 8:37 pm

In general, broadly, and systemically, i'd say no. Are there pockets of discrimination and prosecution? I'm sure there are. Anyplace any group is in the minority, P&D are sure to follow. Being a Christian in any scientific group that considers any

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
06/02/14 8:40 pm

theory of intelligent design or creation to be rightwing wackery......I'd say P&D is likely there. Atheists here on SOHs are REALLY quick to jump on Christians and demean their beliefs. Can't say I would be surprised to see something similar outside.

Statek Im from the Internet
06/02/14 8:36 pm

You're delusional of you think they are in a country where the president is a Christian and it's hard to find someone in "power" who isn't a Christian

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:38 pm

It's nearly impossible to find someone in power here that isn't a self-proclaimed Christian. In fact, check all U.S Senators and Representatives and what they have *stated* their beliefs are and I guarantee nearly all are "Christian". Why? 61% of Ame

droo Santa Barbara
06/02/14 8:38 pm

icans say they'd be less likely to vote for an atheist presidential candidate, and 53% would refuse outright.

But who trusts statistics anyway.

06/02/14 9:25 pm

You think our ores us a Christian? Ha

inge MIA
06/02/14 9:50 pm

Who are you to say he isn't a Christian?

06/03/14 5:18 am

I don't know many people that believe his act to be Christian, it's a show that is half heartedly put on just so he could gain and keep the presidency

Statek Im from the Internet
06/03/14 5:21 am

There's also a problem when a country will elect a less qualified "Christian" than a more qualified non Christian

06/03/14 6:21 am

I agree it was bad we elected him and I agree he beat a non Christian

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
06/02/14 8:31 pm

The power of imagination...

kermie gaytopia