StilettoMiss June 3rd, 2014 3:23am

Conservative Logic: "I want to dictate who you're allowed to marry based off of this book from the Iron Age that I pick and choose from at random. I also want to tell women what to do with their bodies. When you disagree, you're persecuting me!"

vin woof
06/03/14 4:23 pm

Women do need to take responsibility. Get those tubes tied bitch

jackietheman Just Stop...
06/02/14 8:41 pm

Women's right to choose? How about a babies right to LIFE!

inge MIA
06/02/14 8:44 pm

It's already against the law to kill a baby. Didn't you know?

jackietheman Just Stop...
06/02/14 8:49 pm

I guarantee you everyone calls the "fetus" a baby as soon as they are pregnant.

Statek Im from the Internet
06/02/14 8:58 pm

And I call my sperm babies
Does that change the fact that they're not? Nope

inge MIA
06/02/14 9:34 pm

I didnt, actually.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
06/02/14 9:36 pm

my wife didn't either. It took a few weeks.

jackietheman Just Stop...
06/03/14 5:21 am

Your heart is beating 18 days from conception...

Maj Worth Economist
06/03/14 7:51 am

I don't have problems with fetus. It's a potential person, not a complete one - there are many hormones and biological triggers that the mother's body has to input before that heart beat becomes a sentient creature.

Maj Worth Economist
06/03/14 7:54 am

The word I don't like is parasite. That one just irks me no end.

jackietheman Just Stop...
06/03/14 8:53 am

I'll give you that. A life would be like 1.00 and unborn baby is like .75. A baby should not be aborted unless danger to the mother, rape, incest. (Now I am missing something, I do nt know about the morning after pill, I believe it's ok but not sure

blockey
06/03/14 8:58 am

Heartbeat doesn't make something a live human, to whoever said that it starts 18 days in. I'm too lazy to go back and check who said it, but you're ignorant.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
06/02/14 8:34 pm

Guess I'm not a conservative, I don't believe any of that, even thou I'm a catholic and do believe the bible, you should be able to marry who you want, and it's your life not mine, I will not tell you how to live it!

Statek Im from the Internet
06/02/14 8:38 pm

Sadly, you're not the majority

2katz I live in Nebraska
06/02/14 8:26 pm

Why are you doing this?

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
06/02/14 8:34 pm

*shrug* because sometimes you can't do much else but shake your head at how insane the world around you is becoming

swervin Maryland
06/02/14 8:26 pm

Liberal logic: we believe in freedom of choice, except when it comes to smoking, light bulbs, plastic bags, and what cars you can drive.

Oboette17 Senioritis
06/02/14 8:36 pm

(Don't forget guns)

Statek Im from the Internet
06/02/14 8:40 pm

Second hand smoke can ruin lives, there are new lightbulbs which are a lot better but it was kinda stupid to do what they did with the old ones, buy whatever car you want, and idk for sure what they're doing with guns anymore..

Statek Im from the Internet
06/02/14 8:40 pm

And plastic bags?
Looks like they're quieting down with the guns, but idk

06/02/14 8:46 pm

STAT - if you do your research and read the studies, you'll find not a single proven case of second hand smoke mortality/morbidity (illness). The lightbulb issue to me is a scary thing. Read the disposal label sometime, and then find out what people

06/02/14 8:47 pm

Do with them. I can tell you in my town there's no "florescent bulb disposal" program. Most folks throw them in the trash.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
06/02/14 9:15 pm

Shaman, really? It's pretty well known that second hand smoke is dangerous.

06/02/14 9:19 pm

STAT - not only have I read all the studies WebMD cites in that article, but many more as well. They ALL go one of two routes: 1) they identify the chemicals found in cigarettes that cause cancer or some other ailment, test passive (second hand)

06/02/14 9:22 pm

Smoke, find it, measure how much is there, turn that amount into # of cigarettes, and then say the risks are equal to a person who SMOKES that much or 2) is an animal study. One exception. There was a study done I believe in the mid-80s. The

06/02/14 9:24 pm

Researchers compared non-smoking women in California and FL whose husbands did not smoke with women in OH, MI, and PA whose husbands that did. The OMP group had significantly higher cancer rates, therefore secondhand smoke kills.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/02/14 9:25 pm

shazam try Home Depot. They advertise nationally that they'll accept the bulbs for recycling, so I bet all their stores do. That's where I take my 2-3 year old dead "20-year" CFLs. What a crock of schwazaa...

06/02/14 9:26 pm

The problem - often pointed out by critics - is the higher incidences aligned with what at the time was called "the rust belt" where lung cancer was higher bc of factory pollutants. There WERE critics in the scientific community at the time, but this

06/02/14 9:29 pm

Study aligned with the politics that were just going after smoking in general, so that group didn't get much press. As a rule, whenever a politician says "all scientists says..." I immediately think s/he's lying until I actually go and read the

06/02/14 9:31 pm

Peer-reviewed studies. Sometimes their right, but more often their not. Sooooo....here's a few for you to read.
tinyurl.com/pqct7js
tinyurl.com/maesw9y
tinyurl.com/nwgo3jd
tinyurl.com/kzz6785

06/02/14 9:33 pm

The one I REALLY wanted to send was the most recent published in the Journal of National Cancer institute. It's not open access though, so can only link the synopsis:

m.jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/12/05/jnci.djt365.extract

06/02/14 9:35 pm

I have read the full report, and will keep looking for the pdf. But the Forbes article does a good job on summarizing. And this is the last point. EVERY study that follows large groups of non-smokers living with smokers and compares them to NSs

06/02/14 9:38 pm

Living with NSs (no smoke in home) find no statistically significant difference between incidences of smoke caused illness/death. These studies are wicked hard as they have to follow a ton of people (50K+) for more than a decade. Look, I don't care

06/02/14 9:40 pm

If people do not want to be around secondhand smoke - i think that's 100% reasonable and fine. I don't like to be myself. What I find crazy bad though is the politicization of science. It NEVER leads to good. 2H smoke is a massive example of that.

mamaof2plus2 Illinois
06/03/14 5:13 am

Whether it is harmful or not, it is still disgusting.Just as you have a right to summon I have the right to not, and when you smoke around me you take away my right to not have it in my lungs. Separate smoking sections don't keep it out of the air.

mamaof2plus2 Illinois
06/03/14 5:14 am

So, if you allow the smoker to smoke he is impeding on my rights, so how does one proceeded from there?

Diknak Ohio
06/03/14 5:40 am

hahahah second hand smoke isn't dangerous. Wow, that's hilarious. I bet if we were having this conversation 40 years ago, you would be siding with the people saying smoking wasn't bad for us.

Diknak Ohio
06/03/14 7:02 am

I'm not going to argue that it causes cancer because I haven't done that research, but it certainly triggers asthma attacks and it is harmful to developing fetuses. Not to mention that it is just plain rude to pollute the air of others around you.

Statek Im from the Internet
06/03/14 7:05 am

It's worse than having someone willingly choose to fart in your face over and over