firefly5 June 3rd, 2014 2:19am

I'm sorry for doing a poll for this, but I'm looking for an opinion, and this is a diverse enough group to give good results. Have you ever used the Enlightenment desktop environment? If so, what did you think? If not, kindly disregard.

DuckAndCower
06/02/14 9:56 pm

I've only used Mint and Ubuntu. I was pretty disappointed with both, honestly. Guess I'm too comfortable in Windows, maybe.

firefly5 the verse
06/03/14 5:41 pm

I think the last time I used Windows was maybe 2006. I just kept running into issues, and it made me look around. I switched to Ubuntu, and was fine with it, but got bored and tried to venture out.

firefly5 the verse
06/03/14 5:42 pm

I have a Mac that I got for teaching a few years ago, and that's been great. For research, I'm running Mint right now (I got lazy), but am looking to switch to something a bit more... spartan. This isn't a great comp., and I want it to be faster.

DuckAndCower
06/03/14 8:55 pm

The main issue for me was that I couldn't get my girlfriend's laptop's click pad to work correctly with either Ubuntu or Mint, and I found the community was unable to solve the issue. It was kind of embarrassing, and left me disillusioned.

firefly5 the verse
06/03/14 10:14 pm

The touchpad? that is pretty bad. especially because there's an easy fix.

DuckAndCower
06/04/14 2:09 pm

Nah, it's a click pad (touchpad without actual buttons). Too much of a pain to type up the issues here, but if you search for "Ubuntu (or Mint) clickpad issues," you can find a lot of people with the problem.

firefly5 the verse
06/04/14 10:05 pm

That is a pain. sorry for the bad experience.

firefly5 the verse
06/02/14 9:38 pm

Thanks, Zod. I was considering Bodhi Linux, but hadn't heard of this environment, and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it. It's remarkably difficult to find any real review.

One more: have you tried the Haiku distro?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/02/14 10:03 pm

I haven't tried it, but I have heard of it. Isn't that a non-Linux alternative OS? I wonder if I should consider it for my old XP based dual core media computer? Another learning curve...

firefly5 the verse
06/02/14 10:05 pm

I'm fairly sure it's within the Linux framework, but I can't swear to that. seems to be very clean.

RossDMands Miami Township, OH
06/02/14 8:05 pm

Honestly, I think Gnome3 is better. Although, I think it's better than KDE. I haven't messed with many others.

firefly5 the verse
06/02/14 9:29 pm

I've been on KDE since Unity popped up. I'm thinking of trying Bodhi, but I have no experience with the Enlightenment environment.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
06/02/14 7:33 pm

I've never even heard of it!

Don't worry about this poll. I posted one the other day asking how to be a help to my guy. It's a community. For the most part, people are supportive and helpful. The others will get over it. :)

TierasPet
06/02/14 7:43 pm

Nicely said. I agree. I've never heard of it either.

firefly5 the verse
06/02/14 9:28 pm

thanks. I do seem to recall that poll, alynn ;)