BamaGirl June 2nd, 2014 11:57pm

Common core - more positive or more negative? In comments, please tell me, why? Applicable outside links are welcome.

tenletters New York
06/03/14 9:07 pm

Here's the thing - I took the common core English exam today. I was impressed. I was expecting this stupidly easy test and while i didn't find it difficult at all, the standard it set was very respectable. I do think there are some kinks to work out

tenletters New York
06/03/14 9:08 pm

With implementation at lower grade levels and the like, but all in all, it was a good standard. Much higher than any ELA or Regents exam I took. Higher than my English final last year (it was laughably easy).

tenletters New York
06/03/14 9:14 pm

However, at the lower grade levels is where common core gets super icky

EarlyBird Portland
06/03/14 3:16 pm

I've not heard one good thing about it.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
06/03/14 1:42 pm

I really don't have any idea but I'd love to hear Cite's opinion.

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
06/03/14 1:29 am

If you actually read it you'll see it's positive. The problems that have happened are due to the textbooks that the schools picked and, around here, lack of effort by the teachers.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/02/14 7:38 pm

Terrible. Kids, parents and teachers hate it.

usernamehere Raise a little hell
06/02/14 6:20 pm

Negative. I've taken the PARCC and it's total BS.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/02/14 5:54 pm

Glenn Beck explains its dangers in his new book "Conform."

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/02/14 7:23 pm

Thanks, Tom. I have to vote tomorrow, so I don't have time to read it before then, but I will check it out later, just for my own edification.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/02/14 8:26 pm

I downloaded it today on my Kindle app and read the Introduction in about 5-10 minutes. It was inspiring just by itself. I have to finish reading Stephen Mansfield's "Killing Jesus," which is much better than Bill O'Reilly's bestseller, first. :o)

jvc1133 61535
06/02/14 5:46 pm

Cause I'm old hate government and change,
If it's broke you better fix it right core won't do

pedwingeorge Benson IL
06/02/14 5:45 pm

It puts everyone on the same level and it also has some socialist propaganda in it

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/02/14 5:39 pm

I'm neutral on it. I think people just follow the crowd too much in their hatred/love of the idea. Although it isn't perfect, a semi-uniform system isn't a bad idea really.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/02/14 7:21 pm

That has kinda been my stance, especially since I don't have kids, but several local political races, even those not for the board of education, are focusing on it, so now I am forced to take a stand.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/02/14 7:25 pm

Haha, well, my stance is somewhat biased. Full disclosure: I'm kind of upset with our school district. I pay $1,200 a year to the district and they're handing kids iPads instead of guaranteeing other, more important things.

NotHomeYet formerly fgw0369
06/02/14 8:08 pm

My list is long...a. Control of education should be in the hands of the local city govt. Parents, teachers, cannot have any effect if at a national level. b. CC is more testing less learning.

NotHomeYet formerly fgw0369
06/02/14 8:09 pm

d. Some material has shown to be bordering on indoctrination towards progressive ideas. e. teachers are not able to adjust material to suit the students or their learning styles

NotHomeYet formerly fgw0369
06/02/14 8:14 pm

Somehow I lost "c"...there is also a ton of metadata being collected on our kids. I can only presume who the highest bidder will be and how it will be used in the future to market to them....

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
06/02/14 8:58 pm

Justin - I'm willing to bet that those iPads weren't paid for with your tax dollars. More than likely someone in the district wrote a grant specifically for technology to obtain those for student use, or a parent organization raised funds for them.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/02/14 9:00 pm

Oh, they most certainly were paid for with my tax dollars, though it was partially a grant too. Without recalling the specifics, I believe the grant was contingent upon the school paying half the bill. In any case, the grant came fron the state,

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/02/14 9:02 pm

where I also pay taxes. Although technology is extremely beneficial to the learning process, there are serious prioritization concerns here. I have no kids, so I'm sure the parents of the district would like for me to stay out of their education.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
06/02/14 9:03 pm

I just know that in my experience working with schools, even when the school has to foot a portion of the bill, when it comes to technology of this kind the school will get the money from fundraisers. New tech isn't built into many budgets anymore.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/02/14 9:04 pm

Fgw, you do raise some valid points, but I think your concerns are a bit overblown. Education is a difficult topic. I would love to see more testing and accountability, but then we fall into a trap of teaching the test. It's a find line we tread.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/02/14 9:05 pm

That may be true Party. Perhaps I'n disgruntled that I pay so much towards a school each year and have no say in how they use the money simply because I don't have children. We're all invested in their futures.

NotHomeYet formerly fgw0369
06/03/14 6:46 am

Business, may I suggest you do some more homework. Even teacher unions in Chicago and NY are coming out against CC. The negatives may outweigh the positives.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
06/03/14 3:31 pm

Just to make things confusing (Party... Justin... Who's replying to who now??), I don't know a ton about what's in CC, but I like the idea of consistency and a common foundation to build education upon.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/03/14 5:34 pm

Ha, i like how you imply I have not researched this in the least. Truth be told I have, and I really don't care much what teachers' unions say about it. Frankly, unions are a detriment to the industries in which they're found as they often have

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/03/14 5:35 pm

competing interests. As the super-intelligent PartyJustin mentioned, there is a real need for consistency and improvement in education. I can probably speak for him as well, correct me if I'm wrong PJ, but neither of us think CC is the solution

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/03/14 5:37 pm

to all of the problems we face in education. It is perhaps a step in the right direction even as it has flaws. Arkansas, for instance, is 48th in education. Here it is almost heresy or blasphemy to support teaching evolution in schools. Haha, there

BusinessJustin Tamriel
06/03/14 5:39 pm

are real problems that CC is addressing, but it is at the same time still flawed. We should not accept CC as the answer, but should evaluate what works with it and what doesn't and make decisions based on that, not just write the whole program off.

Casper Deep inthe Heart ofTexas
06/02/14 5:32 pm

We give way too much authority to the Feds.
We need more choice & more competition.
There are plenty of better options.

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/02/14 5:10 pm

As a former teacher, I don't like it. Some standards have been lowered (my older son's 2nd grade writing standards were harder than my middle boy's). Some standards are beyond the typical scope of age & others aren't taught. .

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/02/14 5:10 pm

My 5th grader wasn't taught the standard algorithm for double digit division, but instead a whole bunch of other methods. Unfortunately, 6th grade only uses the algorithm. I taught him at home.

imanag My heaven on Earth
06/02/14 5:11 pm

Assignments have no instructions, so parents are confused. I had more inquiries for my tutoring business than I could take, thanks to Common Core.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/02/14 7:17 pm

I have noticed A LOT of parental-type friends posting homework & asking for help & a lot of it didn't make a lot of sense, even in my best subjects. :)

tenletters New York
06/03/14 9:13 pm

That's something I dislike and something that needs to be remedied. With math there's rarely one right way to approach a problem. Understanding how to adapt to each problem shows much more competency than blindly memorizing an algorithm

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/02/14 5:02 pm

I honestly don't know & I need to know more. Everything that I currently know is negative, but I am trying to be open & fair.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/02/14 5:02 pm

It just project "Head Start" reconfigured for all students.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/02/14 5:03 pm

I honestly know very little about Head Start. I never impacted a family member directly, so I know nothing about the curriculum or plan.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/02/14 6:25 pm

Think "lowest common denominator."

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/02/14 7:14 pm

Meaning the focus is on the slower students?

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/02/14 7:44 pm

Precisely.

tenletters New York
06/03/14 9:10 pm

Not really. I thought itd be super easy too, but it was actually a respectable standard. It was by no means anywhere near AP level, but it was actually a decent test.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
06/03/14 10:06 pm

Ten, I'm worried about you. :)