ajpreyes June 2nd, 2014 8:55am

All men are responsible for perpetuating and thus responsible for eradicating rape culture.

ajpreyes Laveen
06/02/14 10:53 am

Another sobering message I've seen is "Instead of telling me not to dress slutty who don't you teach your sons not to rape." Our culture is one that encourages men to have sex, from TV to movies and especially song lyrics. Most of these encourage ...

ajpreyes Laveen
06/02/14 10:55 am

the use of drugs, including alcohol, to lower inhibitions so the men can get some/theirs/what they deserve from women.

ajpreyes Laveen
06/02/14 10:48 am

An analogy I read in a different article was, "Here's an orchard. Some of the fruit here will make you sick or even kill you, but the rest are amazing. Sadly there's not a reliable way to tell the difference." Would you eat from that orchard?

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
06/02/14 7:29 am

I have a huge issue with religious fundamentalism. But, part of the issue with confronting fundamentalism is the fact that once I, as an atheist, begin harshly critiquing their actions, moderate and even liberal religionists come out of cracks and

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
06/02/14 7:31 am

...defend religion in general, stating, "We're not all like that." This gives the fundamentalists cover and softens the criticism and the damage of fundamentalism keeps going, defended in part by the moderate "Not All Like That" religionists.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
06/02/14 7:33 am

In the same way, when there is an active conversation that begins regarding rape culture, it is perpetuated in part by the "Not All Like That" men. It changes the conversation from an open, needed critique to equivocation and milquetoast statements.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
06/02/14 7:36 am

If I stand up and stop interrupt the conversation to point out that "I" am not like that, I become part of the problem.

Instead of this, I will try to stand alongside women and not offer cover for inexcusable behavior.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
06/02/14 11:02 am

you have exactly embodied what he was talking about. thank you cite.

Axl752 NY
06/02/14 6:45 am

That's like saying all Muslims are responsible for terrorism.

TierasPet
06/02/14 6:50 am

I agree.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
06/02/14 5:45 am

that is a powerful essay. it actually empowers men to take control of the perception of themselves.

while I agree with the essence of what he says & encourage all men to take control of their own image using his suggestions, to separate it from

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
06/02/14 5:50 am

"all men," I'm not quite sure I would go so far as to classify every man as a part of rape culture. even if it's how it functions, saying that all men are responsible for the consequences of the bad apples feels a bit like victim blaming. it would be

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
06/02/14 5:54 am

wonderful if all men could truly be made to understand the diff in how both sexes approach the world. offenders are solely responsible for their offense, this at some level sounds like it is making the case that all men have a responsibility for it.

ajpreyes Laveen
06/02/14 10:59 am

I'm an open gay man. Yet I've been accused of sexual harassment against women in the workplace in the past. Not because I did anything harassing but because the employee felt I had. That happened because of rape culture. It's really not just ...

ajpreyes Laveen
06/02/14 11:02 am

... about the men that abuse women. 1 out of 3 women have been victimized by men. At my birthday party that means 7 of my friends had been, statistically. The real number is higher since most abuses aren't reported.