Shazam June 2nd, 2014 4:06am

Our leaders and news media routinely describe the Taliban as terrorists. Truthfully though, they are not.

Pumpkin127
06/04/14 8:51 am

What are they? Aren't terrorists people who try to instill terror in others? Like 9/11, bus bombings, shootings, etc.?

curtron basement of the Alamo
06/03/14 8:53 am

It's just a catch-all phrase to scare the American people into making us think we HAVE to be over there.

ScrewU Gone
06/03/14 4:27 am

Getting wrapped around the term is pointless. The Taliban are waging war against the Afghan govt and the US troops assisting them. They are "the enemy" in Afghanistan.

ScrewU Gone
06/03/14 4:29 am

Consider the colossal stupidity of negotiating with the man who was the leader of the Taliban when we invaded in 2001, and agreeing to return his top lieutenants just as we are preparing to leave.

ScrewU Gone
06/03/14 4:31 am

13 years and 3,435 deaths later we leave with the same people in charge as when we arrived. Brilliant.

06/03/14 5:38 am

3G - it's easy to sharpshoot now. Doe example, had the US listened to Pakistan and negotiated the turning over of OBL, or permitting his trial and execution at an intl court, think how many lives and injured soldiers could have been spared.

06/03/14 5:41 am

The fact is, the terms do matter. Downsizing a committer of Democide to a terrorist is ricockulous. Pol Pot and Mao are not anywhere close on scale to Timothy McVeigh. And the Taliban is nowhere near Al-Qaeda. You know what also really pisses me off

06/03/14 5:43 am

About this whole damn thing? We started the damn Taliban's rise to
Power following the ending of the USSRs involvement in AFG. We trained them, armed them, and helped them start the takeover. Now here we are again 20 odd yrs later training, arming

06/03/14 5:46 am

And setting up a new group of savages to run the same damn country. Who gives a damn if he gets his LTs back? Whether they take it back over or the new gov sticks around, does anyone honestly think this isn't going to bite us again when the sons who

06/03/14 5:47 am

Lost their moms, dads, brothers or saw their friends blown up, are old enough to pick up a bomb or a rifle? Do we honestly think that's not the case?

ScrewU Gone
06/03/14 6:18 am

Your facts are wrong. We didn't have anything to do with the Taliban, they didn't even exist until a few years after the soviets left.

duey in a fools paradise
06/02/14 8:31 am

How many politicians execute and keep girls from going to school? Or use that glorious option of honor killing a female because she doesn't, as a 12 year old, like the 45 year old her parents picked out for her to marry? Get real they are terrorists!

duey in a fools paradise
06/02/14 8:33 am

Typical liberal thinking, until they kill you, this kind of thinking is stupid!

06/02/14 7:50 pm

DUEY - calling this "liberal thinking" is a misnomer. This poll was in response to the POTUS releasing 5 Taliban leaders in exchange for our only US POW. I think the Taliban is an organization that commits acts that go everything I would define as

06/02/14 7:52 pm

Human. I think any nation with leaders like this is beyond uncivilized. They're animals. Period. They are however, NOT an international terrorist group. Never have been. I hesitate to call them "Afg domestic terrorists" only because that broadens the

06/02/14 7:55 pm

Definition considerably to include every repressive/torturous regime in the world. In other words, Pol Pot, Lenin, Kim King-un, the king of Saudi, etc. all become terrorists and I think their something worse. However, assume for the sake of argument

duey in a fools paradise
06/02/14 7:55 pm

I was actually responding to rebelfury76 below with his comment. My bad

06/02/14 7:57 pm

They ARE "Afg domestic terrorists." To us, those held in GTO can only be classified as POWs or maybe political prisoners right? We (to the best of my knowledge) do not have a foreign policy (nor have we ever) that advocates the US imprisoning DTs

06/02/14 7:59 pm

from other countries right? That means that exchanging 5 enemy POWs for the one US POW is a completely legitimate action. It also means the remaining 77 AFG POWs should be released as soon as we have a peace treaty in place with AFG right? I hope you

06/02/14 8:01 pm

Can see, what I'm thinking isn't "liberal" or "conservative" for that matter. It's about the rules of war that have guided this nation since its inception. Does that make sense at all?

duey in a fools paradise
06/02/14 8:03 pm

Shazam; I stand by my earlier post. Libs don't like to call anyone a terrorist. You know one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist. It's only words, comparing what these guys do to politicians is as I said stupid.

06/02/14 8:06 pm

DUEY - I agree they're not politicians by any stretch. However, like I said, i think there's things worse than terrorists, and I'd lump them into to that. I don't mind for this argument calling them "Afg domestic terrorists." If we presuppose that,

06/02/14 8:08 pm

Do you agree that as far as GTO and the war in AFG goes, they can only be classified as POWs - not a "terrorist" in the sense of al-quaeda?

06/02/14 8:10 pm

And for the record, REB has repeated said everything I have said is leftwing crap. Your calling him a "liberal" makes me grin like the Joker!

duey in a fools paradise
06/03/14 2:20 am

Glad I could put a smile on your face!

duey in a fools paradise
06/03/14 5:01 am

And the other thing is anyone at GITMO is an ENEMY COMBATANT not POW status. These people have proven they will go back to murdering people. When you don't wear a uniform this is the outcome.

06/03/14 5:06 am

DUEY - look at the history of "enemy combatant." It is complete bullshit designed to give the POTUS carte blanche. A uniform is NOT necessary to be in a country's armed forces under the GC.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlawful_combatant

duey in a fools paradise
06/03/14 5:25 am

You can call it bullshit all you want but believe it or not there is a law that legalizes GITMO.
www.theguardian.com/world/2011/dec/15/americans-face-guantanamo-detention-obama

duey in a fools paradise
06/03/14 5:27 am

As the war ends these murders will be released. Would you want these people in a prison in your neighborhood and imagine the BS court dramas.

06/03/14 5:51 am

DUEY - believe me I am well aware there is a law. Written in 2006. Still complete bullshit. Here's how things should have worked. We should have left them classified as POWs, but brought charges of democide against those who partook at the Hague.

06/03/14 5:53 am

There, they could be tried and if found guilty, executed. We would also then have the ability to hunt down the other committers of democide and tried them as well. Anytime one popped up, grab him and try him. Now we have 70 odd people that we will

06/03/14 5:54 am

At some point let go. Do I want them in my neighborhood? Nope. Did we pursue the wrong strat trying to end around intl law? Yep.

duey in a fools paradise
06/03/14 5:57 am

Good, glad you have an opinion. But even happier these savages were kept in a crap hole on Cuba. I view the World Court similar to the Nobel Committee that hands out prizes, worthless highly political and Anti-American.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his base
06/02/14 7:01 am

They're as much terrorists as politicians are, of we're going by definitions

rons on top of the world MA
06/02/14 5:00 am

Nope! Just scumbags! Shoot little girls because they want to learn. Beat women. very nice group.

skinner Wisconsin
06/02/14 3:42 am

No, they are terrorists. The Taliban routinely uses terrorist tactics by targeting civilian populations within Afghanistan.

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his base
06/02/14 7:01 am

so dis the US military

skinner Wisconsin
06/02/14 11:54 am

They don't do it intentionally to the best of my knowledge. Collateral damage is different than intentionally attacking civilians

06/02/14 7:46 pm

So let's say the Taliban is a "domestic Afghan Terrorist" group. For the US, those held in GTO can only be seen as either political prisoners or POWs right? This means the exchange for the US POW completely OK right? Also, as soon as the war in AFG

06/02/14 7:47 pm

Is ended - say end of year if the schedule is upheld - all of the Taliban POWs should be immediately released right? Or am I missing something?

rebelfury76 F Trump, F his base
06/02/14 8:39 pm

You and I both know that won't happen and it's been "by year's end" for the past five years or so.

06/02/14 8:56 pm

REB - i didn't if it WOULD. I asked if it SHOULD happen.

06/02/14 11:06 pm

SKINNER - i've been reading a lot about this tonight. the correct term is "DEMOCIDE."

skinner Wisconsin
06/03/14 3:43 am

No, I don't believe that's the case. Democide implies they are a legitimate government that controls the country. The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is the government that controls Afghanistan, not the Taliban. Perhaps the Taliban has formerly

skinner Wisconsin
06/03/14 3:44 am

committed democide but I don't believe that's the case presently unless I'm misconstruing something.

Pirate Uses the Tap
06/02/14 3:39 am

Media/TV news is an entertainment venue now. I don't have any sense of getting the truth from them. They play everything up to fear or fake fear.

fredd TrumpLand
06/01/14 10:34 pm

I agree in part. They now sometimes conduct terrorist actions, but that's not all they are about.

Still the bad guys.

krayzewolf New Hampshire
06/01/14 9:35 pm

No. They're terrorists. Plain and simple. You should see what they do to their own.

06/02/14 8:03 pm

KRAZY - read my comments to DEUY above, or SKINNER below. Does what I am trying to say make sense?

krayzewolf New Hampshire
06/02/14 10:05 pm

Still, terrorists. ;)

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/01/14 9:35 pm

Maybe not every last one of them, but they are a kind of blended fundamentalists that basically reject the modern world and use terrorism fairly indiscriminately to promote their vision of a future as a past that never really existed. The bad guys.

commonsense Read another book
06/01/14 9:16 pm

They harbored terrorists.
In the US view after 9/11, when we were hunting terrorists, if you harbored terrorists you were just as guilty.

06/01/14 9:21 pm

Yeah....that's convenient, but inaccurate. They also tried very hard to advert the war, but GWB and Cheney would not be dissuaded. I think we could have handled it better, but honestly, at the time we were all so hurt and pissed, there really wasn't

06/01/14 9:22 pm

Another course. They're not terrorists though. They have never attacked the US in any way.

veritas1 Panda
06/01/14 9:30 pm

The US has aided and supplied arms to countless groups one could consider "terrorists." Does that make the US government a terrorist organization?

commonsense Read another book
06/01/14 9:36 pm

If you are harboring a fugitive, you're in deep sh*t. You may not like that , but it's reality. That's what the Taliban were doing. Harboring/getting in the way.

As for the US being a terrorist, I guess it's all perception. I don't see it that way.

jackietheman Just Stop...
06/02/14 5:17 am

Never attacked the US in any way? They've killed plenty of US soldiers.

ScrewU Gone
06/03/14 4:23 am

They didn't try to avert the war. They were offered the opportunity to hand over Bin Laden for trial and refused.

06/01/14 9:09 pm

Last political Q for tonight. We now return you to your regular broadcast schedule.

06/01/14 9:18 pm

I do not like the Taliban. Truthfully, i think everything the group stands for is the opposite of what I consider "humanity." That being said, they are not terrorists. They have never attacked anyone from US with the exception of those within AFG,

06/01/14 9:23 pm

Blows me away that we're cool with labeling them as such.

bringstheeagle Colorado
06/01/14 9:26 pm

Well I must say that's an interesting perspective sir. One indeed which frankly I haven't considered. Makes me think.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/01/14 9:37 pm

You don't need to attack the US to be a terrorist. Attacking your own people to terrorize them into submission, as the Taliban routinely does, counts as terrorism just as much.

06/01/14 9:46 pm

ZOD - i hear what you're saying, and I want to agree with you. The problem I have is that makes that chubby Korean guy, The king of Saudi, pretty much any dictator or group of dictators. Terrorism is different. Or at least I think the word should

06/01/14 9:46 pm

Mean something different - it's defined differently too.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/01/14 10:02 pm

There is no standard, generally recognized definition of terrorism. I go with the classic: "The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/02/14 12:53 am

Wouldn't that definition make any war a terrorist act?

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/02/14 12:56 am

There is a reason there is no generally recognized definition of terrorism.

The word itself is used to provoke certain feelings, like fear and anger. Politicians have popularized it because of its power to further an Us vs Them dichotomy.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/02/14 12:58 am

By generalizing a complex organization by simply labeling them a terrorist group, we no longer feel compelled to understand them as people with motivations, needs, and desires.

They aren't people anymore. They are the enemy.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
06/02/14 1:03 am

I don't like the Taliban as much as the next guy. However, labeling them as terrorists is not only incorrect, it is a dehumanizing process.

This is why I refuse to call anyone a terrorist. The word is just a dysphemism.

bringstheeagle Colorado
06/02/14 7:13 am

Excellent use if the word dysphemism - I'll have to remember that. Lol.