bMyComrade June 2nd, 2014 3:49am

Should organizations which create special jobs in order to hire people with developmental disabilities of varying degrees be required to pay minimum wage for those jobs?

Pumpkin127
06/04/14 8:19 am

They should pay the workers as much as they can, but unfortunately those kinds of organizations don't always have enough money to pay everyone enough.

swervin Maryland
06/04/14 5:25 am

Why would you pay someone minimum wage if they are doing a job worth more than that? It seems silly to force someone to make minimum wage...

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/04/14 12:38 pm

That's not the point, the point is many jobs for the handicapped make less. And is that acceptable given circumstances.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/03/14 9:11 am

No. The job itself is an act of benevolence. Let it pay less and commensurate to the actual work provided.

Injectable Mojave Mo Problems
06/03/14 9:44 pm

You're suggesting that they can't do the same amount of work, and having worked with DD people, I know this to be false in many cases. They don't need handouts, they need opportunity. Unfortunately many people assume they can't based on appearance.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/03/14 10:01 pm

If they can then pay them the same. If they can't then pay them less. Gov shouldn't dictate it.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/03/14 10:01 pm

And the job is benevolence. They can always hire a Mexican who will do more for less.

itsOkay no longer answering here
06/03/14 10:17 pm

And in my original post I said for them to be paid commensurate to the work they do. I never actually suggested they would do less, but I allowed for it.

nicolebliss31
06/03/14 8:12 am

No a lot of people with disabilities get ssdi. you are allowed to work as long as you don't go over what you get for ssdi a month

waterstar
06/03/14 6:03 am

People with developmental disabilities often need support in their jobs from task training to social skills. Few competitive employers would accept DD people without some type of assurances that they would not be burdened with this additional expense

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
06/03/14 2:38 am

Required to pay minimum wage? No, the job itself determines its rate of pay. It may be worth quite a bit more than minimum wage.
If ur asking if it should pay minimum wage or more then yes of course.

thursday Kansas
06/03/14 4:14 am

Now I have to change my answer.

DrMrsTheMonarch NYC
06/03/14 1:54 am

Why would anyone be exempt from minimum wage?! Everyone needs the basics of food, electricity, etc, as well as the ability to buy basic household items, clothes, etc. A disability doesn't change these expenses and in all likelihood would create more.

TomM
06/03/14 4:41 pm

If they are disabled to a degree where it gives a disadvantage in a job, they would likely eligible for social security disability. That still allows limited income, which fits this case as far as I know.

CalTexHawk spiral arm
06/02/14 6:21 pm

Damned fine question. I have no idea what the answer should be.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/02/14 12:27 pm

Extremely good question by the way.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/02/14 12:27 pm

No the clients received federal and state benefits. Those places cannot afford to pay them at the minimum wage. And quite often their job performances are extremely slow. I have worked in a sheltered workshop. And assisted-living.

catpillow Florida West Coast
06/01/14 11:32 pm

I did a residency in a state residence for the retarded in Texas. Most couldn't function in the outside world. The facility gave them jobs in the gift shop, laundry, etc. and paid them a small amount. They were proud of their jobs and happy.

catpillow Florida West Coast
06/01/14 11:35 pm

Then the state told them they had to pay minimum wage. Since they didn't have the funding to do that, they ended all the jobs. It was really sad.

I think this was a special case where they should have waived the minimum wage.

Maj Worth Economist
06/01/14 11:59 pm

I tried to look up what you're talking about. I didn't find it, but I did come across this: www.texasemploymentlawblog.com/2013/07/articles/legislation/disabled-workers-legally-being-paid-far-below-minimum-wage/

Maj Worth Economist
06/01/14 11:59 pm

Some of those wages... Are not wages.

catpillow Florida West Coast
06/02/14 1:16 am

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_state_supported_living_centers

It was one of these-in Richmond. Residents there were retarded and often multiply handicapped. They were quite well cared for by the state, but not employable in the outside world.

catpillow Florida West Coast
06/02/14 1:25 am

When I came there, it was the early 1980’s so things may now be different.

Maj Worth Economist
06/01/14 10:11 pm

People with developmental disabilities are still people. If you don't want to pay them, then don't give them lots of hours. But if you're going to be a job creator, you should follow the rules of job creation.

Pauln95klkkk
06/03/14 4:21 pm

They are people whose living expenses are probably being met by other public aid. The job is to give them a greater sense of worth. In some cases the value of the work may be negligible, therefore 'the'minimum wage is not practical.

Nik
06/03/14 6:57 pm

Pauln95, I KNOW exactly what these people get from SSDI, can you live on $850/month? My brother that just passed away last Wednesday got that. Rent, food, utilities etc... On $850?!?!?

Pauln95klkkk
06/03/14 8:06 pm

Nik, I am sorry to hear of your loss and to answer your question, I couldn't live on 850/mo. I am sympathetic to meeting welfare needs, but think it is unrealistic to force employers to pay more than value produced. If we do, we will see

Pauln95klkkk
06/03/14 8:06 pm

Pauln95klkkk
06/03/14 8:07 pm

These employment programs for disabled and challenged people will be eliminated.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
06/01/14 10:07 pm

What is the function of a minimum wage? If it's intended to help make sure that people get their basic needs paid for -- which I'm pretty sure it is -- then of course it should be maintained. People with disabilities aren't any less expensive.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
06/01/14 10:08 pm

In fact, I'm pretty sure the opposite is true. So giving them less money than you give a 'normal' high schooler (with lower overall costs on their caretaker) is simply cruel.

jestana My Minds Eye
06/03/14 6:26 am

I know a small business where the mentally pack items into boxes by hand. They are slow but faithful in the work. The business would close if forced to pay min wage.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/01/14 9:23 pm

It seems like they are already doing a lot creating the job. Like Rob said, maybe there should be some minimum, but I don't know that it should be the usual minimum wage for a job that isn't the usual minimum job.

monkey678 Towelhead
06/02/14 10:57 am

So exploitation of the disabled is something you advocate?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/02/14 11:50 am

No, like I said in my comment, I think some minimum should probably exist. That would be to prevent what many do as a good and kind thing from being used as exploitation by the inevitable few who are less scrupled.

jestana My Minds Eye
06/03/14 6:29 am

Monkey-some people cannot produce $8.00 hr in value. The business owner is almost always greatly appreciated for just creating any job opportunity. How much can an owner afford to pay to
Have 5 towels folded per hour?

jeffrey306 steel town
06/01/14 9:21 pm

Great question. Most employers that provide these jobs are socially conscious. They're not forced to do so. A lower pay level could lead a business to create jobs for challenged workers then fill them with able-bodied people and less pay.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 9:23 pm

It's not that the wages are attached to the job, rather to the person - so an able-bodied/able-minded person wouldn't qualify for that lower wage exception.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
06/01/14 10:10 pm

I'm actually deeply offended by this notion. If you have a job that a developmentally disabled person can perform, it's good of you to put a person in that position. But to pay them less than you would pay another person for doing the same job is BS.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 10:14 pm

The types of jobs specifically give to help the disabled are different and usually created by speciality organizations. Often these programs don't pay at all, so I think those that do are special. A local org in Montana hires those with developmental

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 10:16 pm

disabilities for jobs which they could use a machine to do. Giving them a job and a sense of accomplishment. These programs are rare and are not the same as normal employment. This program reserves these jobs for those living on government disability

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 10:17 pm

Many of those with these disabilities can't function in a normal environment and need special care, which some organizations link with skills development. But they will never be truly self sufficient.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 10:20 pm

Another program hires those with disabilities to do what they would otherwise have volunteers do (sorting donated clothes). It's more charity, so should it still qualify as wages? That would limit their ability to help people who can't do much

fredd TrumpLand
06/01/14 10:35 pm

Hmmm, you've convinced me, bMy. Changing my vote.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 8:53 pm

I know of a few organizations which specialize in hiring people with developmental disabilities to help them live better lives. But I'm not convinced these organizations should have to pay minimum wage, which I otherwise support.

TomM
06/03/14 4:41 pm

Agree and great question.

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
06/01/14 8:52 pm

Maybe *a* minimum wage, but not *the* minimum wage.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 8:58 pm

I think that makes sense. Something which compensates for the work done, so they aren't being taken advantage of.