146787456777 .......
06/01/14 10:18 pm

there exists a double standard in animal abuse. all animals are not treated equally. are we charged every time we squish a spider? or shoot a deer during hunting season? of course not. but if you smash in a puppy's head, as cited in the posted blog,

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 10:20 pm

its considered a chargeable offense. there could be many explanations for why american society holds this double standard, but I think the most likely is familiarity. Horses, dogs, cats. these are pets. they are familiar, they share our lives

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 10:21 pm

most people of american culture would consider bludgeoning a puppy more sickening than shooting a deer for the same reason.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
06/02/14 1:00 am

Well said. That double standard is exactly why some of us have realized that ALL sentient creatures deserve protection from abuse. If a superior alien race found us, we'd want them to consider our lives as valuable and consider our well-being too.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
06/01/14 9:56 pm

I love how people get all picky and choosy about when it's okay to cause injury/death to an animal (fur vs. meat vs. circuses vs. testing vs. just for the heck of it), but then they refuse to acknowledge that morality is subjective.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
06/01/14 9:58 pm

And yes, I realize that those viewpoints not logically incongruous, but it seems unlikely that someone would think there's an invisible rulebook somewhere and that they of all people somehow know how to decipher it.

brookesmom
06/01/14 9:15 pm

Most definitely. Only a sick or evil individual would hurt an animal for pleasure.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 9:52 pm

But what you consider sick and twisted someone else might fund normal. Isn't this just legislating to stop acts you don't like?

brookesmom
06/01/14 9:53 pm

No. Cruelty and torture is never okay.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 10:06 pm

But again, you are claiming something is torture when someone else might not. I'd suggest you check out the link in my stand alone comment below.

brookesmom
06/01/14 10:20 pm

I did. I still stand by my statement. Just because someone's beliefs call for them to brutally kill an animal does not make it alright.

Wert A picture of my package
06/01/14 8:32 pm

Of course. Absolutely. Like there's any question, whatsoever.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 8:11 pm

alexjliu.wordpress.com

Interesting blog about shamanism. The Hmong (SE Asian culture) are routinely arrested of animal abuse for sacrificing animals. Shows how much of an issue these laws can create.

chickencookie
06/01/14 8:07 pm

Yes. Right now abusers (when caught) get minimal punishment. Horrible abuse for innocent creatures and nothing to stop them from doing it again. .

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 8:13 pm

If I buy a chair, it is mine and I can take a hammer to it if I want. You can't stop me, it's my property. If people truly to own animals, why should they be treated differently?

chickencookie
06/01/14 8:18 pm

Hammers aren't living creatures. You can also buy a bride and if you beat her it is abuse.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 8:25 pm

But the 13th Amendment states that I don't actually "own" the bride. Does the same level of "ownership" apply to animals? Because that has huge ramifications.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/01/14 8:26 pm

Just recently, a man got jailed in Key West for hitting his dog. He went to jail the same way you'd go when hitting a person.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 8:43 pm

Same sentence? I'm deeply troubled by that.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/01/14 9:04 pm

Yup, first degree misdemeanor though I don't have the local crime report for that.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/01/14 7:48 pm

Not sure, but what I don't understand is why you can be charged with cruelty to animals if you hit your dog, but terrible documented abuse in factory farms isn't punished.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/01/14 7:58 pm

The main problem I see with those laws is not only this double standard but also that they decide some animals are more worthy than others. Yes, some are higher developed, but where draw the line? And what about hunting? Fishing?

goalie31 Byzantine Catholic
06/01/14 8:01 pm

hunting you typically make it a fast...hopefully painless death. You use it for food. Animal abuse is beating up a defenseless animal for sadistic pleasure.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
06/01/14 8:07 pm

What about hunting for pleasure? That takes the food aspect out of it.

goalie31 Byzantine Catholic
06/01/14 8:09 pm

typically if you hunt for pleasure you still take the game back and sell meat, pelt, antlers, etc...

Praetorianus Fair enough.
06/01/14 8:29 pm

Well, if humans are taken as example, then abusing someone physically is a lesser crime than killing someone. Why would the logic be different for animals? It's bye bye meat, hello veggies.