usernamehere June 1st, 2014 10:36pm

Women: Do you work in a traditionally male-dominated profession?

Iamamerican California
06/03/14 3:24 pm

I retired from the Loss Prevention Department as a District Investigator for a large retail grocery chain. It was and still is mostly men.

marie333
06/02/14 10:20 am

I'm a software product manager, so yes, but the male/female ratio is getting more balanced as the years go by.

DrCarpenter Florence, Italy
06/01/14 8:30 pm

I'll (hopefully) be a history professor, so yes.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 7:55 pm

I don't believe so. I don't know about customer service, but the majority of healthcare workers in my experience are female.

BrittneyBunny Maryland
06/01/14 6:55 pm

Stay at home Mom. Most of the people around me are the exact same.

TreeHugs Oregon
06/01/14 6:42 pm

I'm a fishery biologist turned systems/database administrator. Mostly men in both.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
06/01/14 5:55 pm

When I worked,I work for a company that developed parts for the Gov. Military arms. Like the sensors for the Apache for 13 years. I took a buy out & used part of it to go to a trade school to become an esthetician did the girl thing for 11 yrs

kspells TheOtherOtherside
06/01/14 5:57 pm

Working with all men paid more, had better benefits & better management. I was not prepared to work with women. It was a hard adjustment.

Kris Humidity Central
06/01/14 5:30 pm

The military...hmmm.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 4:44 pm

Hm. The last part of my working life was in medical research. Some decades ago the majority of researcher were men (with a lot of laboratory assistants being women), but it's been more even now for a couple decades, I think. My professional

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 4:45 pm

society was about half men & half women, with women in about half of the executive positions. Others have commented (previously) that women still don't hold as many academic positions, but in my personal experience they were well represented

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 4:46 pm

up to the department head level, but my institution had *some* women there, too.

thewheel
06/01/14 4:29 pm

I'm currently starting linguistic studies (which, to be realistic, probably won't start a linguistic career) Anyway, linguistic fields as a whole have almost an even number of males to females. Translators actually appear to be females more often.

alynn Somewhere wonderful
06/01/14 4:01 pm

Currently, yes. However in the past 10 years in the industry I have noticed a significant shift.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
06/01/14 3:49 pm

I'm going into computer science. Statistically 20% of people in my field are women, but in my experience, it's about 10%.

tokala
06/01/14 3:42 pm

I have in the past. Army and Corrections. I'm working on a degree now that will give me a better paying office job. I'm going to be so bored.