R3dzombi3 Space, probably
06/02/14 2:51 am

I had to in middle school, but I'm glad I did. It's a great book.

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
06/01/14 5:00 pm

It's the best book I was forced to read in high school :)

moonshot More often I know nothing
06/01/14 3:59 pm

I read Ender's Game out loud to my wife before we were married. We did this in the evenings and it took about a month. It's one of my favorite stories, plus it gave my future wife a glimpse into who I was. I think I've read them all.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 4:38 pm

That's really sweet :-)

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/01/14 2:57 pm

I've read 10 into the series. Should have stopped at Ender's Shadow. I'm glad bmc enjoyed all of them. In an interview Card said he wanted to stop after the first four, but the fans bugged him for more. Now it's +26?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/01/14 2:59 pm

And keep in mind, Speaker was the first book. After it was written, he realized he needed to give a backstory for Ender, so Game came out as a serial in the scifi mags. He novelized them with added stuff about Valentine and Peter.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/01/14 3:02 pm

Game is a rollercoaster ride that the others are not, but it was the next three that reinforced my deep appreciation for Eastern philosophy. They are wonderfully deep.
Not to mention how visionary he was to predict the internet and the ansible.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
06/01/14 3:30 pm

It's a great series. I was also surprised at the change in tone and pace after the first book. I've read everything he's written in that universe except for the last two of the formic war trilogy.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
06/01/14 3:31 pm

But you can't really say he predicted the ansible until we have an ansible.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/01/14 3:36 pm

In essence he (and others) stated Einstein's "nothing can travel faster than light" limit is false. Over 15 years ago they split a photon, and the two halves swapped energy instantaneously although they were 20km apart. Two tin cans on an invisible

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/01/14 3:38 pm

string. That's the start. How it works, they still have no idea. How to use this for communication, they have no idea. But it's the start; getting past Einstein's bias.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/01/14 3:39 pm

And Game being written as afterthought does explain the pace change.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 4:38 pm

The idea for Speaker for the Dead came prior to the novel Ender's Game, but he did not write it until after. I think the content difference is what creates the changed feel, the latter three are more cerebral.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 4:38 pm

I tell people if they like the intellectual aspect of Ender's Game, they will like the original series. If they liked the action of Ender's Game, they will like the Shadow Series.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
06/02/14 6:58 am

I remember specifically in an interview I saw he told of having written Speaker, he needed to write the serial of Game and had those published in magazines. Can't find it now.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/02/14 8:05 am

According to his introduction in my edition of Ender's Game, Card novelized it from the short story after he had an outline for Speaker for the Dead in order to create a back story for "the Speaker". So we are both half right.

jvc1133 61535
06/02/14 2:34 pm

OMG you got that name, shame on me for being so slow, I did enjoy the novel ; )

fernando1999 Texas
06/01/14 2:38 pm

what is the order of the series anyway.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 2:51 pm

Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind - if you mean the original series.

Posco teach me
06/01/14 2:13 pm

Has anyone read farther into the series?

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 2:15 pm

I've read every associated book in the Endersverse - multiple times. I really love the whole lot of them.

Posco teach me
06/01/14 2:19 pm

I loved the first book and I'm halfway through Speaker for the Dead and enjoying it too.

Posco teach me
06/01/14 2:19 pm

Idk if ill enjoy any of them as much as I did Enders game though.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 2:22 pm

Ender's Game is by far my favorite. My least was Children of the Mind, mostly because it feels unfinished. I love the parallel 'Shadow' series. My top three fall chronologically together: Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Ender in Exile,

Posco teach me
06/01/14 2:31 pm

I'm looking forward to this series. I read this, the maze runner, and divergent to see which series I'd read and Ender won by a long shot.

bMyComrade Stumptown
06/01/14 2:56 pm

I haven't read Maze Runner, but I agree Divergent isn't even in the same league - though I did like it.

Posco teach me
06/01/14 3:35 pm

I agree, maze runner was pretty bad though.