Show Of Hands January 7th, 2013 12:00am

A 6-year-old in Maryland was suspended from school for pointing his "finger-gun" at another student on the playground and saying "pow". Appropriate "zero-tolerance" enforcement, or over-reaction?

gonzoboy Arizona
01/14/13 1:43 pm

@dproberts, You are struggling because this situation is NOT balanced. The suspension is utterly ridiculous, and your 17 year olds interests are PERFECTLY NORMAL.

dproberts Illinois
01/13/13 9:14 am

My 17 year was just suspended for 2 days for viewing military assault weapons on line. He wants to join the military when he graduates. I'm struggling with balance between these are the rules and he has an interest...

sarah1911 Poolesville MD
01/13/13 2:58 am

The sound the kid made would show which kind of gun. Not every liberal agrees with the suspension. I live in Maryland and I certainly don't. About God, I wish he were acknowledged in schools again too. No one seems to understand that there are ways of acknowledging God without pinpointing one faith.

meepx22
01/12/13 11:51 am

Kids that young won't even benefit from a suspension. They just look at it as a day off from school. Young kids need all the learning time that is available. Suspending a child for pointing a pretend gun at another child is not a reason to take away valuable learning time.

FastFusion nj
01/11/13 8:09 pm

How do we know if the kid was pointing a real finger gun or a water pistol finger gun. Dumb ass liberals "they take God out of schools - praise abortion - take Christ out of Christmas, and now they are going to punish children for playing with imaginary guns" they make this world a whole lot better

ndkdjsbxodndn
01/11/13 6:38 pm

I cut an artery with a plastic knife during summer camp by accident! Random fact...

ndkdjsbxodndn
01/11/13 6:36 pm

Would you rather kill 20 kids with lives and families and friends and emotions? Just wondering.

ndkdjsbxodndn
01/11/13 6:33 pm

I know a kid in the suspended child's class. He had a history of behavioral issues, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Or, rather, the hand gesture that got the kindergartener kicked out of school.

madison12 Maine
01/11/13 1:30 pm

Thank you ice woman! Finally someone I agree with on this issue!

milkdud2
01/11/13 7:47 am

my friend feels exactly the same way about banning VeggieTales and Mickey Mouse from his kids. If they grow up around that, they might try to talk to real vegetables and mice.
But there are just some crazy people who believe vegetables and mice can talk to them no matter what they watch as kids.

IceWoman New York
01/11/13 7:10 am

If the kid thinks its appropriate to point a fake gun and shoot someone, perhaps he'll grow up thinking its ok to do it with a real one. Stop the action now with severe consequence, and it unlikely to continue into a terrible reality.

XeniaHardwire
01/11/13 5:16 am

How about we don't worry about the fake guns and focus on controlling the real ones.

Romney225
01/10/13 10:27 pm

And people wonder why the call America the nanny country...facepalm

cairochris
01/10/13 7:36 pm

This is a gross overreaction. It was a kid fooling around on a playground. Kids do all sorts of stuff. Maybe talk to the kid and recommend he not do that if you really want to send a message. But disciplinary action? Unnecessary.

rabblerabble Utah
01/10/13 5:32 pm

You represent one if the biggest tragedies, IMO.

rabblerabble Utah
01/10/13 5:30 pm

Who is mad at the kid? Do you punish kids because you're mad? I would hope they could learn something about the incredibly serious nature of handgun. Something designed and built to put holes in you.

rabblerabble Utah
01/10/13 5:24 pm

If the theist idea of afterlife could be proven nonexistent, would their neutral (and sometimes promotional) views on violent murder and war change in any way?

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
01/10/13 3:56 pm

This is the kind of redundancy that happens in everyday life. It is completely harmless and stupid of the staff. Especially at 6 YEARS OLD!!! A student shouldn't be suspended at six years old!!!

superdave
01/10/13 10:38 am

It is far from pointless! This is typical of the progressive liberal mindset! This is who and what u elect!

PhilliesSuck
01/09/13 8:03 pm

They're kids. How can you be mad? We used to do this as kids

luluforever06
01/09/13 7:47 pm

I live in Maryland and I know for a fact that elementary school teachers have done the same thing, and have kept there jobs, and you wonder we're the kid gets it from

BladeNut MA
01/09/13 6:50 pm

wow…bitch please…

FastFusion nj
01/09/13 6:16 pm

Was the finger loaded ? And was it a registered finger with a finger lock on it?

susanr Colorado
01/09/13 4:04 pm

Disagree about the "indoctrination camps," but I think the finger-fun thing is pretty stupid. I'm just saying it's kinda pointless to complain about "liberals" when almost all of the Democrats right here agree with everyone else here on this point.

superdave
01/09/13 3:58 pm

Point being more children are killed via abortion than any weapon

superdave
01/09/13 3:57 pm

Susan the finger gun incident is a result of the progressive liberals and their radical ways.... Must public education is nothing more than indoctrination camps....

susanr Colorado
01/09/13 3:21 pm

What people are clapping & cheering? 90% of Democrats voted inappropriate on this. If you're going to be exasperated about the 10% that didn't, you should probably feel the same way about the 4% of Republicans who voted that way too; it's in the same ballpark.

superdave
01/09/13 1:22 pm

Let's see..... Planned parenthood touts over 333,00 babies aborted in 2011.... Liberals clap and cheer..... 27 kids killed by crazy man, ban guns.... For the life of me I can't figure you people out!!!!! Which is a bigger tragedy?!?!?

mac007 Mars
01/09/13 9:35 am

If that was my kid I'd put them in a private school or home school them. Why keep them in a school that doesn't embrace common sense? ????

Nuggs
01/09/13 6:23 am

I hope the kid he was playing with is safe and heathy. Gun control is no laughing matter. Poor little guy must have been scared to death when he pulled out his finger gun.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
01/09/13 6:06 am

Of course this is appropriate! We should be killing childhood imagination and fun. We should also get rid of plastic knives from the cafeteria.

(Sarcasm, by the way.)

jdengel
01/09/13 4:45 am

Star fox is a strictly Nintendo based game. Originally released on super nes, which is probably older then you.

Ummmmm
01/09/13 4:41 am

I think it depends on the situation. If it is in a city with gang problems. And the 6year old is around gangsters and copying their behavior. Then yes. It's good to let the kids know as young as possible that guns and violence will bring bad consequences.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/09/13 1:18 am

I'm implying that Dems tend to be hyper-sensitive about stupid stuff that they have no reason to get all hopped up over. Case in point.

HGolightly California
01/09/13 12:18 am

We all did this, common

Jmhf
01/08/13 9:56 pm

expa you need to quit your useless whining. i guarantee from the way you responded that you also call people racist 24/7

AnnieM The Island
01/08/13 7:54 pm

then that child needs to know that his/her parent(s) will stick up for him/her and for what's right in general.

AnnieM The Island
01/08/13 7:54 pm

Dreamit, I don't disagree with you about parents and school officials needing to work together, but if a teacher or any school staff member is guilty of obvious injustice towards the child or of behaving in an unprofessional manner towards him/her, …

susanr Colorado
01/08/13 7:45 pm

Probably not, since not all the students in that one school apparently haven't been expelled.

JPolgarFan
01/08/13 7:08 pm

You said "I'm not surprised that dems...". Implying something negative about democrats in general. Derp.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/08/13 7:01 pm

I said 2-1 compared to everyone else. Which is true. I was observing the data, and making an informed comment on it. Turn down your sensitivity knob a little. It's too high right now.

rinarae Ohio
01/08/13 5:32 pm

He is 6 for crying out loud!!! If it was a 10+ year old, I could see them getting suspended, but not a little 6 year old!!!

JPolgarFan
01/08/13 5:16 pm

........ " "

I have a quotation fetish.

JPolgarFan
01/08/13 5:15 pm

In other words, I am a "dem" and I voted against it. My party does not represent all I believe. That must be "surprising" to "you" though......." "

JPolgarFan
01/08/13 5:13 pm

It's ignorant because you clump a bunch of people together as "dems" as though that small minority of "dems" who approved it represent the ideal of all "dems". Hence, you are ignorant. It's called stereotyping I believe....

ZANDER1390
01/08/13 5:00 pm

And knowing today's teachers, the teacher in watch probably have him multiple "nice" warnings because teachers can't tell at kids that young any more. You just called a six year old stupid, that's kind of sad.

ZANDER1390
01/08/13 5:00 pm

How can you say this about a six year old? Honestly, kids Gould be shown discipline Infact a good spanking belt to the butt or the occasional washing of the mouth is spectacular, but a six year old playing with his friends on the playground and in the moment of excitement not listening?

ZANDER1390
01/08/13 4:56 pm

Seriously people just because some kid points his finger at someone in the shape of a gun does t mean he will become a serial killer or something, it's the ones that aren't social an actually kill things like cats that you are supposed to be worried about;)