cairo2 UVM
12/06/12 6:47 pm

I will say, given the area U2 is from and the climate there that they evolved in, how can you expect them to not be political? I mean, a number of their biggest early songs were about events in their own region. Of course they will write about their area and what people there will connect to.

cairo2 UVM
12/06/12 6:42 pm

There is also a faction of rock, led by groups like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, that focus on the creative side and rarely do political songs. Sweet Neocon is the only song I can think of by the Stones that is political, for example. Non-election Springsteen generally falls in this group too

cairo2 UVM
12/06/12 6:39 pm

For a pretty big part of rock, this is true. What's interesting here is Bruce's songs are generally not political. Born in the USA is arguably an exception. His political side is much more separate & generally only shows through at election time. U2 has politics in their music as well as their lives

anjwest
12/06/12 5:02 pm

I'm glad of all the differences we may have, most of us can agree on this.

cairochris
12/05/12 10:43 am

If you want deeper Springsteen go with "Darlingtin County," "Working on the Highway," or "Johnny 99."

cairochris
12/05/12 10:42 am

How can you mention Bruce without noting "Darkness on the Edge of Town," "The River," "War," "Badlands," "Hungry Heart," "Thunder Road," Tenth Avenue Freezeout," and "The Promised Land?. If you want newer stuff go with "Outlaw Pete," "The Rising" "Waiting on a Sunny Day," or "Working on a Dream."

cairo2 UVM
12/05/12 10:16 am

Here's the thing here - many kids have heard him because their parents listen to him. And, because of the baby boom and tech advances that happens easier now more than ever. That's how I did - my parents had his '75-'85 Live at MSG CD, and we used to listen to his 3 hour concert on long drives.

cairo2 UVM
12/05/12 10:12 am

Bruce's Super Bowl act in 2009 remains one of the better ones in the last decade, even though the length of his usual shows couldn't show through in that format.

cairo2 UVM
12/05/12 10:08 am

Not Paul McCartney or Styx/Foreigner/Kansas...the list goes on.

cairo2 UVM
12/05/12 10:06 am

Both these guys are great. I've seen them both live. But it is Springsteen's endurance and athleticism on stage that separate him from the pack, in my opinion. No other concert I've seen has been 3+ hours with same effort like his - not the Stones, Dylan, U2, Santana, Don McLean, Joel & Elton...

cairo2 UVM
12/05/12 10:02 am

Actually, he had planned to sit out this election, so he may well sit out the next one.

cairo2 UVM
12/05/12 10:01 am

As much as I love Bruce, the Shakespeare of rock has to be Bob Dylan.

CindyInTx
12/03/12 6:13 am

Bruce is tone deaf. Way overrated.

HolyBabble Mississippi
12/01/12 7:50 am

I agree, these people have strange taste. I thought for sure Bono would easily win this poll.
Bruce is WAYYYY overrated and sounds like an old vacuum cleaner when he sings.

jagger
11/30/12 8:01 pm

You people crying about these guys and their politics have forgot that politics is a big part of what rock n roll is.

misterzero West Virginia
11/30/12 5:39 pm

Bono is annoying. Just sing and shut up otherwise.

swasden Springville, UT
11/30/12 2:09 pm

At least Bruce doesn't run his mouth about some obscure "crisis" every time a camera is turned towards him.

cws
11/30/12 2:04 pm

Cool to know that Springsteen and bono don't have any talent thanks for the cool input see you around!

Rdub1987 South Carolina
11/30/12 11:38 am

This is America and Bruce is American. Bono and U2 bore the crap out of me. He is more of a humanitarian than a musician.

rastamonsta
11/30/12 8:16 am

Why not?
People 21 and under who are able to vote, mostly voted for obama. Bruce sang at a couple Obama events and openly supported him. I'm pretty sure he gained some younger fans along the way.

happylife
11/30/12 5:50 am

Jagger-- that is true but ppl can have different views & still appreciate one another. I'm saying recently he has become extremely vocal in his views & I've personally had enough

happylife
11/30/12 5:08 am

Yes they have but jagger people can have different views and still appreciate one another-- I'm saying recently he has become extreme in his political vocalizations & I've had enough

cairochris
11/29/12 10:55 pm

Bono is great, but Bruce is The Boss. He's called that for a reason, and having seen him 3 times in the last decade I can say it is well deserved. The guy just doesn't wear out, and he is probably still more athletic than most Americans.

cairochris
11/29/12 10:51 pm

False. 3 hour+ concerts with no breaks on a routine basis. The guy is the iron man of rock. You can see the sweat pouring off him and he just keeps going. Very athletic too (watch his 2009 Super Bowl act). I doubt there are many people in his age group who can jump off pianos and do knee slides...

connor102 Washington State
11/29/12 10:26 pm

Have you ever been to one of his concerts. I went to one last night.... ROCKED MY WORLD!!

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
11/29/12 9:38 pm

Bruce = overrated.

jagger
11/29/12 8:44 pm

We will take bono and Bruce the republicans can have hepatitis infected kid rock

jagger
11/29/12 8:43 pm

Who's your music career going I'm sure better then these untalented fools

jagger
11/29/12 7:44 pm

Happy his views have been all over his music for decades

happylife
11/29/12 6:31 pm

That's the prob-- he's a democrat. But not just a dem- which would be fine w/ me.we don't have to agree on everything but I don't want to hear him stuffing his views down everyone's throats

gmw
11/29/12 2:40 pm

Both make ok music...they would be better if they stuck to music and shut the hell up about everything else...why do we care what some super rich musician thinks...just entertain us...

MadCow True GOP
11/29/12 2:27 pm

I'm not buying that 70% of kids under 21 even know Bruce Springsteen is, let alone prefer him.

kateXcore Dark side of the moon
11/29/12 1:40 pm

Neither. They both have no talent and are extremely overrated.

jagger
11/29/12 11:41 am

You must not,of been listening to springsteens words over his career it's obvious he is a democrat

jagger
11/29/12 11:39 am

Cheese- they dont make em like that anymore today's music is,garbage

kenzieaudra07 Kentucky
11/29/12 11:34 am

Bono is to girly, this is 'Merica

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
11/29/12 10:48 am

I used to love both of their music, but since Bono turned into a self-righteous preaching doucebag, I can't even listen to his music 4he same way anymore without feeling like vomiting. Besides, my sister saw Bruce 5x and is gonna see him again, and says he's incredible in concert..

bulldog
11/29/12 10:29 am

Ditto! U2 sells out stadiums for multiple nights in a row. That's telling you something.

irgenious
11/29/12 8:35 am

Easy choice..ANY ONE but Bono

redrocker Idaho
11/29/12 7:05 am

After seeing the results here and the vote between Led Zeppelin & Queen, its obvious that this crowd has skewed & strange music tastes.