Show Of Hands December 19th, 2012 12:00am

Should government funding for mental health services be increased?

anTONIarchist FL
12/25/12 2:56 pm

People deliberately killing others while sober, with mental illnesses is RARE; It's their treatment by society (people are less afraid of criminals!) that leads to manic episodes and murder.
We understand more about MI's now, treatment helps and is absolutely necessary!

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:40 am

Why does it always have to be 'mental illness'? Can't we just agree that there are evil people in the world who enjoy killing others for pleasure? It's not always because they're ill. Sometimes they're just evil.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:37 am

That's a terrible viewpoint. Life is a gift from God. To suggest that it be snuffed before birth is absolutely inhuman.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:35 am

And before anyone gets on their high horse "what about rape, incest, horses, etc." the answer to that is that you execute the rapist. Problem solved.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:34 am

If we forced folks to get married if they got pregnant outside of marriage, we wouldn't have to fund any birth control, because condom stocks would likely skyrocket. But that's besides the point. What's so heinously wrong about expecting folks to be responsible for themselves and any offspring?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:31 am

We want people to close their legs and stop fertilizing every egg they can find until they're married. Eliminating premarital sex would probably eliminate 99% of the problems with abortion and unsupported children. Make marriage mandatory if you knock up your girlfriend (or one night stand).

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/24/12 5:27 am

The question doesn't clarify whether federal state or local is supplying the funding, do I said no. If it asked if state and local funding, I would've said maybe. Federal, no. It's not Constitutionally within the Feds jurisdiction.

bryank21
12/23/12 5:41 pm

Or "No abortions!"
"So you want to fund birth control instead, right?"
"No birth control!"
"So..."

kitty333 West Virginia
12/22/12 3:07 pm

@Mekek.. If parents of mentally ill children don't want to or can't afford to take care of the child then maybe they shouldn't bring it into the world.

ScrewU Gone
12/22/12 5:07 am

When the country was more conservative as a whole we put dangerously mentally I'll people away to protect society. They can't or won't comply with treatment or meds, and most abuse illegal drugs as well. They are fully 90% of the people I deal with as a cop. No amount of money can "fix" them.

DidYouKnow
12/21/12 10:47 pm

Statistically most families with mentally ill relatives dont take care of them. Not everyone can afford to or are willing to dedicate the time to help. Its a little self centered to think that everyone could.

DidYouKnow
12/21/12 10:45 pm

I talk to my friends sometime about their beliefs on issues like this and they contradict themselves right and left just like that. "No abortions? Then would you pay taxes to support the child? No!?!?"

bryank21
12/21/12 7:57 pm

51% of Republicans must like shootings by the mentally ill. No gun control + no mental health funding increase = same results. At least pick one to be for.

EdenCross Garden of Eden
12/21/12 11:49 am

I wish the government actually severely reduced their aiding of mentally defective and impaired individuals. It's up to family to start caring or not.

housemouse
12/21/12 10:54 am

My brother has soapy different special needs, and he doesn't get squat. If there is more funding, he can have a more happy life getting services he needs and wants.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/21/12 10:47 am

and just look what happens as a result - they go off the deep end. I'd bet any money the shooter in newtown suffered from an unaddressed mental illness.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/21/12 10:42 am

I suffer from anxiety so I totally get where you're coming from. we're lucky we live in a time where something can be done about it, and we should be embracing that - yet there are tons of people out there who aren't getting the help they need and deserve.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/21/12 10:39 am

thank you - this is what I was saying. people don't realize that mental illnesses are just as serious as physical illnesses, but they are. just because they're more confusing or harder to diagnose does not change that.

bbkkanderson
12/21/12 8:17 am

The question was mental health not physical and the government, not me. I would figure out how to get money for my family but again that's not the role of the government, it's my personal responsibility.

briannabuckley
12/21/12 7:08 am

Increased funding for mental health care will decrease crime and help people who are suffering. It won't make society perfect, but this needs to be addressed. A mental illness is just like any other illness.

briannabuckley
12/21/12 7:06 am

Mental health issues are typically due to some form of a chemical imbalance. I myself suffer from depression. It's not my fault that my brain doesn't produce sufficient serotonin, is it? Similarly, is someone with diabetes to blame for his/her lack of insulin? Mental illness deserves attention too.

ElizabethL BOS . NC
12/20/12 11:57 pm

Really think there would be a different outcome in this poll if it was conducted before the massacre in Newtown. People only want change when they're faced with tragedy.

jagger
12/20/12 10:30 pm

Republicans have slashed mental health care and loosed gun laws= massacres

nFavOfSecess Texas
12/20/12 10:26 pm

Hell NO.
I work in the healthcare industry translating dx's and procedures into numerical codes for reimbursement.
Doctors ALWAYS try and overcharge or over diagnose or perform unnecessary procedures to get paid more.

Lulzy New Jersey
12/20/12 8:56 pm

Our government cannot use oir money efficiently. We have thrown money at education and it has no impact.

danno9
12/20/12 8:08 pm

I said no but come to think of it everybody in congress should be committed to a mental health facility. It's obvious they live in a fantasy world.

mrken
12/20/12 7:45 pm

Grizzy, u seriously need to stop freaking out. Of course we should not ignore this tragedy or any other like it..

But when controlling liberals, possibly like yourself, blame guns..people like me will always be there to tell u, you're wrong. Lose all the guns and there will still be tragedies!

waterstar
12/20/12 7:01 pm

Our mental health services have been gutted over the last 20 years. Portals of entry need to be easier to navigate and consistency in treatment need to occur. Too often our mentally ill are released from treatment for insurance concerns.

Liberty2016
12/20/12 6:18 pm

Grizzly: throwing money at social programs doesn't always fix them. Spending our money wiser does though.

grizzy Kansas
12/20/12 5:33 pm

If your son's life could be spared; would money matter?

grizzy Kansas
12/20/12 5:30 pm

Dozens of children lose their innocent life because of school shooting each year; is tax reform a BIG problem when these children die, I can't imagine how a post like this gets so many likes. Too many people involved with politics have no soul.

grizzy Kansas
12/20/12 5:24 pm

Would you feel this way if your child; a child that you eat dinner with every day, hugs you goodnight every night, and is so eager to learn from you gets shot by a homicidal maniac. Would you care about the national debt if your child came home in a body bag?

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/20/12 5:23 pm

I said it's not ALWAYS a result of parenting. it can absolutely be a result of parenting, but it also can be caused by other factors such as brain chemistry. nature versus nurture can be really complicated - sometimes it's both.

ElizabethB
12/20/12 5:20 pm

If it means we get to keep our guns I'm all for it.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/20/12 5:16 pm

the only times I've reported comments, I did it by accident. maybe there should be an ask box asking you if you're sure you want to report it, just in case you hit the button without meaning to.

grizzy Kansas
12/20/12 5:09 pm

Are u saying that we should not pay attention to the shootings, where innocent kids get slaughtered; is that not a problem?

eliseml14
12/20/12 4:33 pm

They are the same as everyone else <3

RayX quit
12/20/12 4:18 pm

If somebody were to read the 2700 pages of Obamacare they may find we already increased the spending for mental health.

mjohn620
12/20/12 3:02 pm

Also, you said "in light of recent events". Meaning, directly related to what happened in CT. Adam Lanza's diagnosis had NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HE DID. There, is that simple enough for you? Needing redirected back to your own question is kinda sad. Try and keep up.

mjohn620
12/20/12 3:00 pm

The question is about mental health SERVICES, not research and cures. Believe it or not, those are two separate things. Sorry, that is apparently too much for you to understand. Nice try, though...

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/20/12 1:30 pm

I could go on, too. do you think parents whose kids are autistic or have down syndrome should just take all matters into their own hands? sometimes you need professional help. and even less severe mental disorders need equal attention - they can, and sometimes do, become a huge problem otherwise.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/20/12 1:25 pm

you can't predict what's going to happen when you have a child. yes it's the parents' job to take care of and raise the child, but parents aren't experts on everything. what do you do when your kid is sick and you don't know what's wrong? do you try to cure them yourself, or take them to the doctor?

MrChris80 California
12/20/12 12:46 pm

Id encourage you or anyone to do a quick google search for the blog I am Adam Lanza's Mom. Its about a mom with a severely mentally disordered child who fears her kid is capable of mass murder and she has no where to turn for help.

MrChris80 California
12/20/12 12:40 pm

Believe me, I get that a difficult child in any regard will be a struggle; responsibility & burden will fall to the parents, but it should not ruin their lives as they attempt to give (more times than not, inadequate) care in very rare circumstances.

MrChris80 California
12/20/12 12:33 pm

Yes sacrifices should be made, of course. But with the help of community, programs, government, insurance--however you see fit--a construction worker and a teacher, for example, should be able find & afford care if they have a special needs child w/o being at their wits end, financially & otherwise.

bbkkanders Kentucky
12/20/12 12:10 pm

Increased with what. Did you people forget we are broke. 16 trillion in the hole and growing.

mrken
12/20/12 11:20 am

Story of our nationals political life, republicans are trying to focus on BIG problems (ie tax reform, national debt).....

while democrats are trying to capitalize on tragedy by exciting more ignorance

sad