Show Of Hands December 23rd, 2012 12:00am

Have you ever attended a Christmas Eve candlelight church service?

susanr Colorado
12/28/12 12:14 am

I think I went once with my brother and his family, to their church. I don't think the church I went to as a child had a candlelight service. I don't go to church now, except for weddings and funerals.

mustaches4
12/25/12 10:19 pm

I go every year. This year I almost set the church bulletin aflame. I should not be trusted with fire. (In my defense I did this whole trying not to ignite my 6 year old sisters pigtails on fire.)

38041 Georgia
12/25/12 12:46 pm

@tommy I don't smoke, but my wife and I did split a bottle of champagne one year before going. That was a slightly jollier service.

tjm120 TARDIS
12/25/12 7:19 am

That's a lot like blaming people who voted for Romney or theNRA for Newtown.

raccoon1 SoCal
12/25/12 1:45 am

I'm just telling you what happened to me. There's nothing for you to believe or disbelieve. The more Bible reading I did, the more my heart changed. My politics followed. Making political choices based on my personal convictions. As you are.

SugarShaq
12/25/12 12:40 am

Agree with tlaney, no way can a true Christian stand on the side of pro abortion.

omniku dot com
12/24/12 9:01 pm

Me too! Was beautiful!

milkdud2
12/24/12 8:29 pm

Just got back actually.

satiricalnick meh
12/24/12 8:22 pm

Ya damn faithless liberals!

emsies Seattle
12/24/12 8:05 pm

I haven't even been to a church service...

Goldiemol dry side of WA
12/24/12 2:54 pm

Serving the poor, the weak, the less fortunate, those who are sick...are those who you are talking about? Don't see them served in or country really by either.

Goldiemol dry side of WA
12/24/12 2:52 pm

Actually I was not talking about abortion. But also not everyone is Christian so they may think that as a right.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
12/24/12 12:35 pm

Goldiemol, nowhere in the Bible does God give anyone the right or the OK to murder their unborn child (that's the "right" to which you were no doubt referring). Rather, he condemns violence against the defenseless. Sounds pretty Republican to me.

chickadee
12/24/12 11:35 am

Much more "me", and I became a member there last month. And my parents also found a church they feel more welcomed in. And tonight my dad is coming with me to visit my new church for Christmas Eve! I've never been to a Christmas Eve service there, so I don't know what it's like, but I'm excited!

chickadee
12/24/12 11:33 am

Our church voted to leave the denomination. My family was among the few people who voted to stay. But earlier this year, I started looking for a new church, mainly just because I moved out of my parents' house, and I wanted to go somewhere a little closer. Luckily, I found a place that I love that's

Goldiemol dry side of WA
12/24/12 11:17 am

I personal can't believe that. The Bible is misconstrued to make it fit the republican view. I'm an independent who votes more liberal. I also won't use my religion to vote against something that I personal won't do but would take away rights from people. I'll let God judge not judge for him.

raccoon1 SoCal
12/24/12 11:04 am

For me, the dem/rep split on this question: was raised democrat. Age 26 became Born again Christian. Rep views lined up better w Bible than Dems. At the time.

ladyniner81 I hate people
12/24/12 10:59 am

I used to go to my mom's church every year till she got sick.

moonshot More often I know nothing
12/24/12 10:44 am

Can you just imagine the size of the tornado that must have created God? That must have been one heck of a junkyard!

raccoon1 SoCal
12/24/12 10:43 am

My church too. Evangelical free church. Candlelight service is held every Sunday before Christmas. Very beautiful.

moonshot More often I know nothing
12/24/12 10:09 am

I only go to church for weddings and funerals.

Zaramoth A Damn Commie
12/24/12 9:44 am

Unfortunately yes, nothing against those who believe, but it was just a big waste of time for me.

Grocker
12/24/12 8:38 am

Our diocese left over that vote.

JanuaryLove
12/24/12 8:34 am

I'm so sorry you don't have your lifelong church home anymore. Keep looking until you find a new church to call home. I have a friend in a very similar situation. It's difficult to start over, but sometimes it's for the best. I wish you well.

WanderLost over the rainbow
12/24/12 7:50 am

I wish our Christmas eve mass was candlelit! But that's only Easter.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/24/12 7:44 am

Who you are right on. Jesus said you would know His followers by their fruits. Westboro produces evil.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
12/24/12 7:38 am

I have. Looking for a church that feeds my soul.

Goldiemol dry side of WA
12/24/12 6:58 am

Does anyone remember the results of the question of are you Christian from awhile back? Just wondering how they compare. I've only ever been to Christmas eve services that light candles. I've been to a few denominations/nondenominational churches. Our 4, 7,and 10 pm services will light them.

okcougar
12/24/12 6:53 am

Our church doesn't do them, but every year it seems that we end up staying up way to late on Christmas Eve wrapping presents and we end up catching most of the midnight mass from the Vatican.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
12/24/12 6:28 am

It leaves you with the Yule log and all of the Yuletide celebrations, the tree, the wreaths, the lights and decorations, the food, the gift-giving, the family time, cards and well-wishes, everything to do with Santa, most of the music, Boxing Day, and pretty much everything else except the Nativity.

38special
12/24/12 5:59 am

Wow, I feel sorry for people who say they have better things to do. The music is beautiful, the churches are decorated, and people are so genuinely happy. I would think you might want to go just to see what it's about it. Shouldn't we be tolerant and open to new experiences.

gtgconfused
12/24/12 5:46 am

Growing up, wasn't given a choice. I'd sit by Granda and eat the candy he kept in his pocket for me.

christine1986
12/24/12 5:42 am

Every Christmas Eve when I was a kid. And after we would be allowed to open one gift before bed. Lol. Maybe I'll see if my hubby wants to go tonight. He's religious, I'm atheist. Then we can all open a present tonight. Hehe. ????????

ltsmith WV
12/24/12 5:22 am

WBC is not Christian, they're a disgusting cult.

SugarShaq
12/24/12 3:02 am

Make sure you leave ALL "Christian components" out. I think that leaves you with reindeer, maybe

SugarShaq
12/24/12 2:53 am

An excuse that hurts no one but your self. " let there be peace on earth and let it begin with ME. Let there be peace on earth, the kind that was meant to be...with God as our father, brothers all are we. Let me walk with my brother in perfect harmony."

SugarShaq
12/24/12 2:45 am

No stars/angels allowed. No gifts to represent the wise men. No red/green to represent the blood and everlasting life, including trees and wreaths. No lights since they represent He is Light of the World. No candy canes as they tell the story! And don't forget that Santa is Saint Nick.

ayeyguy Arizona
12/24/12 12:43 am

What was the vote about?

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
12/24/12 12:30 am

I am a Christian, and I consider Westboro Baptist Church to be a cult, not actually representative of Christianity.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
12/24/12 12:30 am

I've been to an Easter candlelight service, but not christmas eve. our church used to give everyone a candle in a plastic cup. one year my brother was an altar server and he got bored so he started tilting it from side to side melting the cup. my mom was so annoyed/embarrassed.

chickadee
12/24/12 12:13 am

Yes. Every year. Even as a one month old baby. Even the year my mom was released from the hospital on Christmas Eve.
Except this year. We stopped going to the church I've spent my entire life in because of controversial church vote in October. This will be my first Christmas going somewhere else.

adam2890 Denver
12/24/12 12:06 am

I accidentally caught my Silent Night song sheet on fire at a candle light service when I was five. My dad had to stomp it out where I dropped it catching the carpet on fire lol!

jiffymix
12/23/12 11:18 pm

It is boring. I've never thought of getting baked beforehand though. That's a great idea!

dadstad Texas
12/23/12 11:02 pm

My favorite Christmas memories are of candlelight service singing silent night and hugging my wife and kids. They are grown and I would love to re-live those days as they raise their own families.

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
12/23/12 10:14 pm

The Christian component of Christmas?