Show Of Hands November 9th, 2012 12:00am

When you try a product for the first time, do you usually buy a national brand, or a store brand/private label?

dabrat East Coast
11/09/12 8:34 pm

Try the national or originator first then test others

mammamia
11/09/12 8:23 pm

I usually go indie. But if I really can't decide which product is better I go with mainstream.

sydwel
11/09/12 6:45 pm

Usually whatever is cheapest, unless it is food, in which I am rightfully pickier.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/09/12 5:56 pm

Yes @praet1965, though I may not be a Made in USA 'purist', I do give weight to our own products. My last two purchases were my Jeep (Ohio), and Cannondale bike (Pennsylvania). Solid products and mutually beneficial.

praetorianus65
11/09/12 3:39 pm

For me it's more important to buy American than whether it's a local or national product. I recently bought a garrity flashlight. Made in Madison CT. Much more expensive than the usual made in China but appears so rugged you probably can run it over with a truck and it would still work.

jonski New York
11/09/12 3:32 pm

I work in a privet labor food factory and we produce a high quality product

Strength
11/09/12 2:56 pm

I can taste the difference between main brand soda and store brand any day. Sometimes I'm ok with the store brand drinks but they're mostly inferior rip offs.

Zulsoras New Hampshire
11/09/12 12:35 pm

Check the ingredients... Also store brand is sometimes a national brand..

11/09/12 10:22 am

Brand name because sometimes it is just better. Like Kraft Mac and cheese is significantly better than the off brand stuff and I would have never liked it had I never tried brand name. If I like brand, ill look for a cheaper alternative to try.

snafu Washington
11/09/12 9:54 am

I do try store brands to save money but most times I end up not liking the product.

snafu Washington
11/09/12 9:48 am

I tend to buy brands, not because I'm shallow but because in general I do think brands are better quality than the store brands. Canned stuff, cold meats, cotton balls, etc I might buy the store brand if its cheaper but hair care, oatmeal, TP, etc I'll always buy the nicer brand.

winner
11/09/12 9:05 am

Depends, if its food I buy the store brand. Everything else I but the national brand.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
11/09/12 9:03 am

National brand because they usually market the item in a way that makes me want to try it. Then I'll try the store brand for comparison, and use it if it's comparable.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/09/12 9:02 am

@Eowyn, @Zod, concur on Kirkland. Even if it's a first time 'trial' purchase, I just trust it.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/09/12 8:58 am

National brand(s), unless it's wine!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/09/12 8:54 am

Totally agree. Every brand makes compromises to deliver a competitive product, but Kirkland seems to be uncompromising on quality. I've never been disappointed with any of their stuff.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/09/12 8:50 am

National brand unless I've read credible reviews from sources that usually match my preferences that lead me to start with something else. I'm going to try more than one brand anyway, but without any other information, I'll try a brand I trust first. Kirkland, if it's available.

Eowyn
11/09/12 8:36 am

National, unless we're dealing with Kirkland Signature. Their stuff is amazing.

11/09/12 8:29 am

Always try the National brand first then try its cheaper counterpart. Simple, if the cheaper one is the same as the more expensive one unquestionably then I will continue to buy/use the cheap one. Who cares about a name brand if their very similar? That's being too "high maintenance" if u ask me.

EarlyBird Portland
11/09/12 8:19 am

I always go with a good national brand, at least to start with.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
11/09/12 8:15 am

Interesting question. When I try something for the first time. Hmmmmm

scalzi04
11/09/12 7:52 am

I just can't trust the store brands. They're always crap.