TalkPolitics February 12th, 2014 2:18am

What do you believe is more valuable to society in regards to its social structure? (Gender roles, family structure, marriage, etc.) Please explain why in comments.

ajtndfan
02/14/14 1:46 pm

Tradition has it's place as does progression. We need to keep both in perspective and learn from history. Some things need progression but need to be carefully weighed out and understand why we are changing them. Overall for this question I chose Tra

brules666 New York
02/13/14 9:25 am

I think any individual should be able to do what they think is best for their family. 'Gender roles' should not really be a thing. And the fact that people think that the traditional family life is being attacked,

brules666 New York
02/13/14 9:25 am

it's not. It's just a different image of what a family should be. We can't simply all go back to living on farms and having 10 kids.

DaveL
02/11/14 11:41 pm

More info is needed. Not all progressions are beneficial and not all traditions are valuable. This necessarily needs to be determined on a case by case basis.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/12/14 8:28 am

I agree. I was considering specifying, but decided that it would be better if I left it up to my followers to interpret it however they wish. I explain why below. :)

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
02/11/14 10:47 pm

I conceptualized tradition differently than most. Rather than thinking about it as doing the same thing, tradition is there to call attention to a certain aspect of life, or to offer comfort and security, amongst other things. In this idea,

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
02/11/14 10:49 pm

...constantly repeating yourself simply for the sake of repetition can actually be a hindrance to fulfilling tradition. You must ask why and for what purpose does the tradition exist. And, if it's found that the motions made in order to satisfy

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
02/11/14 10:50 pm

...tradition in fact detract from the purpose, then the motions need to be changed in order for tradition to be served.

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 8:49 pm

The family structure is sadly changing which is actually more damaging to our economy than you might think

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
02/11/14 10:45 pm

That's an adorable little assertion without any evidence to back it up.

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 10:54 pm

Wow there no need for hostility. I cannot cite a specific article however I learn a lot of this from the website of a policy think tank called AEI they post very interesting things and several had to do with the nuclear families positive effect on

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 10:58 pm

Here is one such article there is another one I liked better but this is a good one too. www.aei.org/article/society-and-culture/family-matters/#mbl

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
02/11/14 11:05 pm

And you don't think that their political bias influencers their reporting?

I want actual research in a peer-reviewed, well respected journal for statements like this, not opinions of pundits with a political ax to grind.

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 11:43 pm

I realize their is a bias but the family is the building block of our economy politicians and public figures do not prattle on about family for nothing it is very important.

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 11:47 pm

Also I do not really care what you want I was just stating an important element of our economy that is in jeopardy. Please don't make demands of people and dude what's your deal I know we argued on another poll but you do not need to continue to be

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 11:47 pm

Mad we debated and remained at our own conclusions.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
02/11/14 8:31 pm

"Progression" toward what?

kscott516 Masks fail
02/11/14 8:48 pm

Apparently progression toward lack of moral accountability.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/12/14 4:22 am

I considered explaining what I meant by that, but decided to have you guys interpret it as you wish. Whether it be a progression towards social freedom, religious influence on families, liberal/conservative tendencies, etc. I wanted people to then

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/12/14 4:24 am

explain their interpretation and answer. If you would like to see it as moral accountability that's perfectly fine. I was simply hoping for explanations behind people's reasoning regardless of their answer. :)

beanD California
02/11/14 8:18 pm

Things were created the way they are for a reason. That said, there is equality to think about. So I think we need a strong dose of both.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/12/14 4:27 am

Actually any social structure found within the past couple thousand years isn't the same as the first social structure. There was no such thing as gender roles until the beginning of the agricultural revolution, but I think I understand where you're

rickvee Living the dream
02/11/14 8:14 pm

Change for change's sake, is not good.

rickvee Living the dream
02/11/14 9:56 pm

Well, dependent on the age and political association, they might think so.

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/11/14 11:49 pm

Not really changing just to change isn't necessarily good if it ain't broke don't fix it

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
02/11/14 7:32 pm

I'm very traditional. I think we also need to keep things simpler in life

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/12/14 4:31 am

Do you think it would be possible to change into an even simpler traditional social structure? (Just making a question based off of your answer not trying to influence any decision or belief)