PartyJustin February 12th, 2014 1:24am

A new scientific report shows camels weren't domesticated in Israel until the 10th century BCE, however the bible depicts ancient Israelites using camels as far back as 2100 BCE. Does this detail reflect at all on the fallibility of the bible?

jvc1133 61535
02/12/14 5:00 pm

No, you accept it for what it is, you don't like it fine, don't bother me

cyanospool The Deep North
02/12/14 12:21 am

Both scientists and historians need to check their work. Extrapolating a whole historical timeline from one book is a huge task and it's possible to make mistakes. Science makes mistakes all the time as well. We can't say who got it wrong from this.

kscott516 Masks fail
02/11/14 8:56 pm

I don't see that showing proof of anything other than they found bones showing signs of carrying heavy loads in the 10C BCE. Does it mean they'll never find older bones with the same characteristics? Not at all. Only simpletons fell for this smoke

kscott516 Masks fail
02/11/14 8:56 pm

and mirrors trick.

DaveL
02/11/14 11:46 pm

Agreed, not finding older bones isn't proof of absence of domesticated camels any more than the lack of fossils between ape and man is proof that man didn't descend from apes. It just means we haven't found them, and MAYBE they don't exist.

RichardRahl1 Jesus is King
02/11/14 8:02 pm

No, it shows how science can't predict anything in the past with accuracy!

Mattwall1
02/11/14 8:09 pm

uh sarcasm??

cyanospool The Deep North
02/12/14 12:18 am

Or there's been an error in reconstructing the bible's timeline. People, scientists and historians alike, are fallible and it's not as if we can determine which side made the error without both fields thoroughly checking their work.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/11/14 6:38 pm

It does, but it is just one of many inconsistencies. It works better to think of it as an idealized story than a factual history. It's like when I say something was obsolete a hundred years ago, I mean last month. It won't change many minds.

Mattwall1
02/11/14 6:34 pm

If I may, can I see the article/report? I already don't see the bible as factual so I admit I don't see it was perfect anyway

DavesNotHere where am I
02/11/14 6:40 pm

There's an article about it in the New York Times and Time magazine. Scholars believe that the authors of the stories just put in the camels because they were domesticated at the time of the writings.

Mattwall1
02/11/14 6:41 pm

makes sense, the armor of goliath looks more like a greek of the time the story was written than a philistine from when it is said to have taken place. I just assumed one article inspired this poll

droo Santa Barbara
02/11/14 6:32 pm

Satan put that there to trick us, be careful.