peacechik February 11th, 2014 8:26pm

I've come to realize that at my high school there is a major lapse in history knowledge amongst my peers. In your experience, are history curriculums understated?

catpillow Florida West Coast
02/12/14 10:05 pm

Most curricula when I was in school were boring memorization of dates and names that made the most interesting times dull. I doubt much has changed.

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/13/14 9:19 pm

Nope. Not at all. Only one more thing: everything is based on points. My teachers say things like "do this assignment because it's worth 10 points".

Maynard Londor
02/12/14 11:35 am

From experience in high school, history (Expectially what really happened in American history, and some of our more damning qualities) and science are definitely under taught, but that just may be how my high school was.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
02/11/14 3:42 pm

I think we are at a time when, what we thought we knew, has been proven wrong.

Mattwall1
02/11/14 3:34 pm

my teacher admitted I knew more about history than she did. enough said

Mattwall1
02/11/14 4:04 pm

ok, i slightly misread the question. part of it is the attitudes of the students, but the curriculum could be better

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/11/14 7:52 pm

Are you a history enthusiast? Otherwise I'd be a bit worried. I don't mean to sound like a brainiac but in class, there were seniors who had never heard of Indian reservations. Note, the kids in this class had been in ap us history

Mattwall1
02/11/14 8:10 pm

I'm a history enthusiast. and yeah I've seen similar things myself.

Mattwall1
02/11/14 8:38 pm

whats your favorite period?

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/11/14 9:22 pm

Mmm... I would have to go with the Cold War period since American history in general is my favorite. I also find pre World War One pretty interesting because of the fall of the tsar and the rise of Germany. How about you Matt?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 1:44 pm

Basically, every curriculum is underrepresented. I honestly believe the summer break is too long.

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/11/14 1:55 pm

I really like the idea of having a year long school year with week long breaks throughout. It would probably make concepts more effective.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 2:06 pm

Exactly! Maybe in agrarian families there could be exceptions, but all would benefit. Maybe take a month off during the coldest weather, and a month off during the hottest.

Granted, some of our ancient schools are sweltering then, but still...

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/11/14 7:52 pm

Yeah...maybe it would be a bit difficult for schools that couldn't afford air conditioning for the summers...

Keldeo Laverre City
02/11/14 1:34 pm

History curriculums are great here. The students? Just no interest in learning. I say this all the time on education polls, it's society's "School sucks" attitude.

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/11/14 1:54 pm

Totally can see that. I mean we have okay textbooks and all but we have basically breezed over some of the less popular history topics and instead repeat the same American revolution thing year after year.

peacechik approaching.infinity
02/11/14 1:56 pm

Oh. And my school has a weird tendency of staying on one topic for long periods of time. One year, we spend about three months on the holocaust alone.