MrMilkdud February 11th, 2014 4:45pm

Would you ignore a negative "gut reaction" to something based solely on your inability to explain or justify that reaction?

TierasPet
02/13/14 8:22 am

I used to do that but not anymore. I trust it almost completely.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
02/12/14 9:18 am

I have in the past and it turned out to be I was worrying too much so I brush it off

dahawwl Texas
02/12/14 6:46 am

History has proven my gut is not very accurate. So I try to ignore it.

Rosebud Ohio
02/12/14 1:28 am

I've changed plans over a gut feeling. It's helped more than once.

rcgrant south carolina
02/11/14 2:25 pm

follow my gut. I went against it once and have been paying for it ever since

KatG Liberal in Ohio
02/11/14 1:37 pm

I ignored it once and went on to make the biggest mistake of my life. Lesson learned.

jonfrei the boonies
02/11/14 12:17 pm

My "gut" has /literally/ saved my life on multiple occasions. There are still a couple times I haven't figured out how it was telling me what it did, but I LISTEN - EVERY time...

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 11:41 am

yes, but it was extremely hard. my reaction to a man on a subway very late at night in NYC who happened to look at me as I entered the train.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 5:44 pm

What was your guy reaction and why did you ignore it?

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 6:07 pm

as a woman on a NYC train late at night I was nervous of poss being attacked. however after taking a deep breath and really looking at my situation, not the possibilities, I realized I was fine. other times, my gut and my eyes were in agreement.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:29 pm

When are you going to talk to everybody?

EarlyBird Portland
02/18/14 12:31 pm

All it will do is make it worse.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:34 pm

I really disagree. Unless you're holding back some info, what you've told me doesn't really amount to much. I still think, based off what little I know, that someone was just spouting off and a couple other users believed them.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:37 pm

I think whoever this other user is is just messing with you by telling other people things they're making up about you.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:41 pm

And also, where did the whole "screenshot" thing come from? Were screenshots ever actually mentioned? Because I didn't see any mention of them in what you showed me yesterday.

EarlyBird Portland
02/18/14 12:42 pm

I wish I could believe that md.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:45 pm

I mean actual screenshots anyone saw- not just reported screenshots someone may just be making up.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:46 pm

I think if you're really going to take this as seriously as you are, it's probably worth digging a little deeper.

MrMilkdud
02/18/14 12:47 pm

The only person who claims to have seen screenshots is the original instigator- and you don't even know who they are, much less that they are telling the truth

swervin Maryland
02/11/14 11:14 am

Nope. If I ever get a feeling of a plane crash, I'm getting my happy ass off that plane. I don't give a damn what they have to say about it. I'd rather be interrogated than to be dead.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 10:07 am

Dogs seem to be able to sense ill intent in someone. We must have latent abilities of a similar nature. Also, we have great ability to multi-process and are not aware of it fully.

Trust your instincts often.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:12 am

So is it sufficient for someone to reject some practice, like my last poll re: marrying an adopted child, without being able to fully articulate why they think it's wrong?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 10:26 am

Well, (my gut says) that could fall into the hesitation to approve of cannibalism between consenting adults - the Ick factor. I see that related to Cultural conditioning.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 10:28 am

Same for feelings against homosexuality. There it seems that below the Biblical reasons against, the more powerful underlying resistance to the concept is based on "Ick".

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:45 am

So you feel the "ick" response is unimportant?

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 11:00 am

It's a factor. I recognize it within me and dispel it as much as possible. The only place where I cannot is in relation to eating creatures that extract oxygen from water, but that stems directly from food poisoning as a youth.

For others that

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 11:02 am

don't attempt to understand their "primal" self, they can let it rule their conscious minds and find whatever easy justification to defend their subconscious reservations concerning human behavior. But I can't explain why one should try to impose

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/11/14 11:04 am

Their own personal ick factor onto another human being.

And that is why since finding SoH... Previously I was the most vehemently anti gun. Now, I cannot say that anymore.

Thanks Tony Obama!

EarlyBird Portland
02/11/14 9:56 am

This question brings one thing to mind: incestuous relationships.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:09 am

I think the gut reaction should be treated like a stop sign so we can further examine an issue and decide how to proceed. I don't think it should be invalidated because it can't be articulated. Sometimes saying "it feels wrong" is sufficient.