Zod February 11th, 2014 4:23am

Saipan has become a popular birth-tourism destination with Chinese mothers seeking to have their babies born as U.S. citizens. Is this a problem?

Happy Hong Kong
02/13/14 12:49 pm

If the moms are smart enough to figure that out then their kids could become valuable members of society.

Maj Worth Economist
02/11/14 9:53 pm

Really, there's a lot we don't know. What happens to the roughly 300 children annually born? Do they go back to China? Does dealing with so many births impede the health care of the natives? Is this creating jobs in Saipan. We really know nothing.

HotelCompany sight picture
02/11/14 7:03 am

American citizenship should mean something other than a legal status. Giving away that which was purchased with so much blood to those who don't hold that sacrifice as sacred waters-down our inheritance and leaves it unreserved for the children.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/11/14 6:45 am

I would do anything for my child. I understand why these women do this, hope for a better future here. I'm not sure is restrict it, they'll find other ways.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/11/14 6:26 am

Not just Chinese mothers but other nations too. Some actually giving birth on the plane and depending where they are in flight that determines what country they were born in. Not right. What kind of mother travels so close to due date anyway

rons Thanks America
02/11/14 6:09 am

We have to change the born here birth laws.

Happy Hong Kong
02/13/14 12:47 pm

So only those with Native American blood could be considered citizens?

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/11/14 5:22 am

Although I like that anyone born here is automatically a citizen, it is highly unethical to travel to American soil just to give your kid that birth right...

But I don't know a good solution, restricting citizenship is a slippery slope.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/11/14 5:23 am

Maybe the citizenship shouldn't be automatically granted to those born to non-citizens in the US territories outside the 50 states?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/11/14 1:04 pm

I actually think the citizenship of the child should be determined by the citizenship of the mother, regardless of where the birth takes place. We and Canada are the only developed countries in the world that grant birthright citizenship.

steelcity Pittsburgh
02/11/14 4:30 am

Are these babies being born there to avoid the birth rate laws and subsequent forced abortions?

Skarface Banned
02/11/14 5:05 am

Those laws aren't in effect anymore.

Liberty 4,032,064
02/11/14 4:17 am

It's a problem is they use said citizenship to receive welfare. Otherwise, no.

alek12 Orlando
02/12/14 10:45 pm

Are there any studies or reports to show that?

Liberty 4,032,064
02/13/14 4:40 am

Are you saying that you need a study to tell you that the federal government gives out various forms of welfare?!?

alek12 Orlando
02/13/14 10:25 am

No but I need some proof that these people get any. I've never heard of it. I know people here get it.

Liberty 4,032,064
02/13/14 11:13 am

I don't know the answer to that, but the opportunity certainly exists.

macabregenius In Purgatory
02/11/14 4:16 am

This is why we should cut our territories loose.

bethanyq Ess Eff
02/11/14 2:13 am

It makes me feel for those women. Traveling on the verge of giving birth would be extraordinarily taxing, painful, dangerous, etc. They must be incredibly desperate to resort to such measures.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/10/14 10:42 pm

Saipan is close to China, allows a 45 day visit without a visa, and is part of a U.S. Territory. As such, a baby born there is automatically eligible for U.S. Citizenship. Some seem to think the citizenship tourism thing isn't good for us.