Praetorianus February 11th, 2014 2:11am

A pregnant woman is stranded on an island. She gives birth to a girl and rears her. By the time she reaches maturity, she has never seen or heard of a man. Would she sense something is amiss in her life?

cowboy Dawns Highway
02/13/14 4:15 am

She will have certain desires.

DavesNotHere where am I
02/13/14 9:02 pm

Can you desire something you've never seen or heard?

LostBrother
02/12/14 4:47 pm

I just died thinking about some 19 year old girl like"mom, where all the d**** at?!"

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/11/14 1:00 am

I'm thinking even in fairly repressive societies where there is no opportunity to observe or be instructed, people figure out how the parts fit together well enough to make more people. There must be some level of instinct, as with other critters.

pcox104 Florida
02/10/14 11:28 pm

Not to be gross, but masturbation and arousal are so innate that I think she would know she needs something for herself.

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 8:20 pm

I doubt it. Maybe if she observed that other animals come in different sexes, & wondered why humans apparently didn't, but I doubt there's anything inate.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 7:27 pm

Why would she? She doesn't know any different.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 8:12 pm

Some people might argue there is an innate instinct, sort of genetic concept of the opposite sex.

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/10/14 8:20 pm

I don't think we'd know that until we found such a person, although I feel like the mom would have told the daughter something.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 8:28 pm

she probably would have a libido but if she doesn't know any human other than her mother, she's not going to experience attraction to some phantom concept of man.

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/10/14 8:42 pm

do you think she'd be attracted to her mother? she wouldn't have the societal stigma against it...

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 8:53 pm

It's possible! But I doubt it. For most people, there is a vast difference between familial and romantic love. She'd already have an established relationship with her by her sexual maturity. I don't think she'd project her sex drive onto her mother.

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/10/14 9:11 pm

I almost want to set up an experiment

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 9:33 pm

I also doubt it, even if it's not the biological mother but an unrelated woman or man rearing a saved newborn. They will usually form a parent-child bonding.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 9:39 pm

Yeah. I don't think the potential for that is increased much by their isolation. She'd be curious about the world beyond her but she wouldn't miss the lack of people because she never had that. There's nothing to replace. (Would be satisfied alone)

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/11/14 4:02 pm

so our need for other people is caused by other people existing?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/11/14 4:07 pm

If you were the first and only person in bathe world, no one having existed before you... Would you think "I wish there were more beings like me?" I don't think that'd even occur to you.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/11/14 4:10 pm

I don't think she couldn't possibly be lonely in the sense that she might want a companion. But she'd have no one to be attracted TO. She may feel sexual urges, but there's not going to be attraction because that would require a recipient.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/10/14 7:18 pm

oh, I honestly didn't consider this from a sexuality POV. I just thought that the genders are nec for a certain peace of mind in the experience of life. sexually, I don't see as how she would until meeting one and losing him.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 7:13 pm

I doubt she'd miss anything. A few children like Caspar Hauser grew up in isolation, too bad nobody asked about their sexuality when they were rescued. Hauser appeared asexual at 16 when he was released from isolation.