CDFL February 11th, 2014 2:08am

Do you think the American populace is thoroughly educated on evolution?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/11/14 12:20 am

Outside of Kansas, Ohio, Kentucky, Texas, and a few other pockets, yes, assuming they made it through at least the eighth grade before giving up on school. Whether they "believe" something as close to devil worship as science is another question.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 11:08 pm

American population, yes. Just not a good chunk of SOH users. I'd say the vast majority understand evolution on a basic level. I've never spent much time anywhere rural though, so I'll acknowledge I could be sadly wrong.

m00lightshadow the moon has returned
02/10/14 10:26 pm

I don't think it is at all I know schools here don't teach much on it.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 11:12 pm

That's crazy to me. I grew up with it being taught in science class. There was no alternative. Not even in Sunday school. I didn't know anyone actually believed in creationism until a guy in my high school religion class said his parents did.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/10/14 10:47 pm

If evolutions is a theory, religion is a delusion. At least evolution has empirical evidence supporting its conclusions.

Alkan
02/10/14 10:16 pm

No, half of the bible thumpers are arguing points that prove they don't understand evolution.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/10/14 10:49 pm

Did you hear none other than Pat Robertson called that guy from the evolution debate in the creation museum a moron? Even he believes that evolution was a process that took millions of years.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/10/14 10:50 pm

I was pretty surprised to read that.

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 8:24 pm

*Clearly* not, based on many comments I've seen in polls here.

sojourner present
02/10/14 7:35 pm

When Texas bd of education keeps pushing for disclaimers or insisting alternate theories (which aren't real) must also be considered. When they insist on teaching evolution as a

sojourner present
02/10/14 7:35 pm

theory of questionable validity what do we expect the general population to think? Many kids are taught to doubt evolution in our schools.

Mattwall1
02/10/14 8:54 pm

Dear Texas, you claim to be a great state. I suppose, if one wishes to add a series of curses between "great" and "state" that may be true. Not all texans are bad, not even close. Like other people, you have good and bad people. But the government of

Mattwall1
02/10/14 8:55 pm

the state of Texas, as currently is, especially in relation to education and science? I daresay that I feel pained when looking at the future students produced. Many I'm sure, are bright and intelligent. But when a state's board of education tries to

Mattwall1
02/10/14 8:56 pm

undermine the teaching of something such as evolution, I cry foul, not over party, not over state, but over concern of humanity, knowledge, and our future. I apologize for seeming harsh Texans, and many Texans are great people. But such a government

Mattwall1
02/10/14 8:58 pm

and such a board of education, whether it be in your state or any other, is not something with which any person should put up with. I'm not meaning to incite violence, so please don't take this as a call to arms, rather take this as a call to the

Mattwall1
02/10/14 8:58 pm

brain, a call to the voting booth, and a call to science.
Sincerely,
A concerned American

EarlyBird Portland
02/10/14 7:21 pm

C'mon, the American populace isn't well educated on anything.

DeusOrbus Stay Positive
02/10/14 7:24 pm

I would beg to differ on that one.

DeusOrbus Stay Positive
02/10/14 7:26 pm

That was directed to Praet, not you EB Goddess.

Mattwall1
02/10/14 7:27 pm

trust me praet, they aren't. when my own history teachers admit I know more of them, thats not a good sign, and when you see people, either here or in real life openly denying basic historical fact, that isn't being knowledgable

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 7:20 pm

Science education in general is deplorably inadequate. I've heard. 20% still believe the Sun revolves around the Earth. In TV quizzes,, the science questions are ridiculously basic compared to other topics.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 7:21 pm

Asking which is the biggest planet in the solar system is on a level with asking what sport Babe Ruth played.

DeusOrbus Stay Positive
02/10/14 7:11 pm

They don't know shit.

02/10/14 7:10 pm

I saw one of the dumbest comments I've seen on evolution in the app today. But I've seen plenty, which makes me answer this question with a no. There often is a lack of basic understanding

02/10/14 7:14 pm

Person A: how'd penguins make it to the ark/survive the flood. B: maybe there weren't penguins before the flood. A: so you're saying they evolved from something else after? And you believe in evolution? B: yes, and of course I do. Only...

02/10/14 7:15 pm

...macroevolution is disproven. Anyone with a brain: so macroevolution is disproven, but penguins evolved from some animal on the ark within a few thousand years?

02/10/14 7:16 pm

I've also seen the good old "Why are there still monkeys if we evolved from them?" question on here, where the person asking really thinks they gotcha good with that one. The answer being because we're not playing Pokemon, moron.

02/10/14 7:17 pm

I'm in a ranting mood and could go on about the idiocy in saying evolution happens but macroevolution doesn't, but I'll refrain from it

Mattwall1
02/10/14 7:20 pm

face desk followed by face computer, face granite, and 2014 special edition face putin effigy

02/10/14 7:26 pm

Thanks for feeling my pain. I seriously think half of Americans got their education on evolution from Pokemon

02/10/14 7:37 pm

Wow, he replied again. Apparently, penguins evolving from a bird ancestor (a species evolving to another species) is not macroevolution...wtf...

02/10/14 7:43 pm

So no this guy is changing the definition of macroevolution because he realized it doesn't mean what he wants it to

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 9:33 pm

Oh hey kiddo, how's the Pokemon game going?

Should we tell the nice people how you admitted you had no understanding of the material discussed? Here's your quote:
"Susan- can you enlighten me? What does that mean?"

When do you graduate HS?

02/10/14 9:39 pm

You're actually hilarious. I was asking her as a joke, because what you said didn't make sense. Your comprehension skills are atrocious

02/10/14 9:43 pm

And if you're memory is as sharp as your logic, I'll remind you that you said penguins evolved from another species but macroevolution doesn't exist. Which is hard not to laugh at, yet still be disgusted by the stupidity of such a statement

02/10/14 9:43 pm

your memory* before you feel like a genius for correcting my typo

02/10/14 9:49 pm

Please, keep making a fool of yourself. I can barely wait for your next response

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 9:53 pm

LOL, you lying fool. You didn't ask her as a joke! You said, "can you enlighten me? What does that mean?" If you were making a joke you would made some stupid comment like you've done here and say, "What's he saying?" Keep ignoring the age question.

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 9:55 pm

My comment about penguins was that they evolved from an ancestral bird. That's NOT macroevolution since penguins are still BIRDS. Idiot! I hate having discussions with kids that haven't even had basic classes yet.

02/10/14 9:56 pm

You're actually retarded, her comment was a joke. Because yours made no sense. You said macroevolution doesn't occur, but penguins evolved from another species. Keep ignoring that. Why do you care so much about my age?

02/10/14 9:59 pm

I'm the idiot for actually knowing the definition of macroevolution? Birds isn't a species. Evolving from an ancestral bird is a change is species, otherwise known as macroevolution, by definition

02/10/14 10:00 pm

You're telling someone they haven't had basic classes when you can't read and understand a simple definition...now that's funny...

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 10:13 pm

I don't know how I can simplify it any further for you...I don't think anyone can. "Macroevolution" simply means "large changes over time". There is no clear delineation (know what that word means?) on what changes are considered large. In any case,

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 10:14 pm

discussing something that you as a kid have not learned yet is futile. Enjoy gym class tomorrow. Good night.

02/10/14 10:17 pm

Except there's a very clear, established definition. Enjoy being a borderline retarded douchebag for the rest of your life.

02/10/14 10:18 pm

All this coming from a person with difficulty reading. Seriously, good luck in life. I'm an atheist, but I almost hope god exists just so there's someone out there helping you, because you need it.

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 10:38 pm

"Birds isn't a species" <--- no wonder everyone calls FL residents' rednecks! You can't even use proper grammar. LOL!

Before you make yourself even more of a fool, I didn't go to high school in FL. The school system's are terrible. You're exhibit A.

kscott516 Masks fail
02/10/14 10:40 pm

Good night, child. Have mommy tuck you in tight!

02/11/14 4:43 am

Way to detract, this entire time, away from how retarded your arguments are. Again, have fun being a douchebag in life, I'm sure it will get you far.