2katz February 10th, 2014 9:42pm

Tea Drinkers: ChickenCookie is a tea snob, and now so am I and it's all her fault. Do you explore different whole-leaf or herbal teas from around the world or are you happy with a bag of Lipton? (Share your stash and habits in the comments.)

02/14/14 7:00 pm

CC, have you tried the Summer Rose? Black tea with rose petals and rose flavor. It's just beautiful!

02/14/14 8:19 pm

OMG and the Blood Orange herbal too! I also had a cup each of the plain Rooibus and the Honeybush. I can see me drinking a lot of these in the evening. Then the only thing keeping me awake will be having to pee all night.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 4:45 pm

I used to drink Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger or Morning Thunder when I had to get up very early on Sunday mornings for a staff meeting before Church. They were good, but I'm sure they had a lot of caffeine. As a diabetic, I have to avoid caffeine

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 4:49 pm

now. I still like Lipton Sugar-free bottled Green Tea, but I add a packet of Truvia to sweeten it. I don't drink it often because of the caffeine. I'm afraid I've never tried any of the "snooty" teas! :-p

02/11/14 6:52 pm

Does the caffeine mess with your glucose? I haven't been aware that was an issue for diabetics. I'm borderline type 2 myself but I don't think caffeine changes anything for me. I'm discovering great no caffeine herbal teas. Do you like spearmint?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 7:15 pm

I love spearmint! Tell me about it!

Caffeine apparently messes with the oral meds for type 2 diabetes (Metformin). At least that's what my doc said. I also can't have alcohol for the same reason plus the fact that I take Lyrica.

02/11/14 8:42 pm

One of the samplers I got has Lemon Grass, Chamomile, Peppermint and Spearmint. The chamomile was ok. The Lemon Grass is wonderful hot or iced. I made a mug of both of the mints so I could compare them, thinking I'd like one better but I love ...

02/11/14 8:46 pm

... both of them. The peppermint leaves a cold less-sweet taste in my mouth for a long time, and it's got a bite. The spearmint tastes sweet on its own and is mellower, no bite, but a nice refreshing taste. These are loose teas, mostly whole ...

02/11/14 8:46 pm

... leaf, and stronger or more flavor than any mint tea bags I've had.

02/11/14 8:48 pm

I don't think either of those Celestial Seasonings teas you mentioned have ANY caffeine. That's why herb teas are so popular for a lot of people.

Rosebud Ohio
02/11/14 12:43 am

I love the fancy teas. I'll drink bags, loose, homemade, homegrown, powders... I just love tea!

02/11/14 9:43 am

Me too. And now ChickenCookie has turned into a teamonster after I looked at the Adagio tea site. LOL. Im having a blast with a bunch of samples from there.

NDAmerican Florida
02/10/14 7:12 pm

Has to be Lipton sweet tea, well crap it just has to be sweet

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 6:24 pm

Teavana's powdered Matcha green tea is my ultimate favorite. I also like their Monkey Oolong black.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 6:25 pm

Oh, and snicker teas!

02/10/14 6:45 pm

Wow. $25 for two ounces. Do you have a date for Valentines Day? Ive always wanted to go to Le Grenoulle

I worked at Teavana for 5 years. Ask me anything

02/10/14 6:57 pm

Matcha in the jar or the one behind the counter? Not a fan of Green tea. They always pushed us to sell gyrocomdo (cant spell).

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:34 pm

The can. I got some monkey picked oolong and my ultimate fav is the Gyokura Imperial green.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:34 pm

I believe that is what you meant to spell. :)

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:38 pm

I still keep Lipton brewed tea in the fridge.

02/10/14 7:39 pm

Monkey can rebrew 4 times i think. When we sold that you did the happy dance. Cant drink green tea lowers my bp. Black tea lowered my cholesterol. Teavana overpriced. Check put
Adagio.com. Got 2katz to try it. Loves it. The holy grail at Teavana

02/10/14 7:41 pm

Was MPO - Gyro- silver Needle and Jasmine Pearls. One of the great benefits was drinking free tea all day long. Also got 40% discount. Do you have cast iron teapot?i do. Also have porcelain set but i just use infuser

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:43 pm

Is that price by the dry cup, or am. I misreading the price?

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:45 pm

I love off the infuser. If I drink the oolong! I place it in that bronzed tea filter. I usually get two big cups from it.

02/10/14 7:46 pm

Not understanding. 2 oz MPO $25. However because it is such high quality u can rebrew up to 4 x. Is that what you meant?

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:48 pm

I don't ha pave an iron kettle. My Father has two antique iron serving sets. Does the kettle's type make a difference or are you just bragging? ;-0

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 7:49 pm

Regarding confusion, prices at asiago. How do they compare to Teavanas in that respect?

02/10/14 7:57 pm

Cheaper. The quality teas of course are still expensive. I but celylon black - a pound will last me 3 months at $19. At Teavana 2oz was about $5.00. Cast iron is only good if u drink tea for hours. They say it makes tea taste better. BS. I never use

02/10/14 7:58 pm

Mine. It takes longer because u have to preheat pot. I cant be bothered

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/10/14 8:03 pm

Holy Sh!take mushrooms! How did you learn about Adiago?

02/10/14 8:09 pm

I came across a tea chat forum. Someone mentioned it. I used them even when I worked at Teavana. Aagio also has a points program and they give you a free sample of your choice. You can by a sample which makes 5 cups to try. I put my order in today

02/10/14 8:13 pm

I will get it tomorrow since i live in Jersey. I love it. I am trying an herbal which i normally don't drink my ceylon &a flavored black. I tried
Chinese black tea in the fall that was very expensive but wow you can
Tell the difference. So smooth

02/10/14 8:24 pm

Check it out. If you understand french check out Mariage Freres tea. You will be amazed how many kinds of MPO they have. Perhaps different flushes u don't know. You can get it here at Dean and Deluca. Comes in nice tins.

02/10/14 10:20 pm

Let me get in here. Dio, I've ordered 3 times now in the last 10 days. I'm having a blast with several samplers. Tonight I discovered that the light oolongs exist.

02/10/14 10:20 pm

The Jade oolong is just amazingly fragrant, I had ordered this afternoon but was able to add more to it.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/11/14 6:23 am

Sounds deliciously intriguing. Thanks for sharing, 2Katz.

02/11/14 6:40 am

Hey Dio. You are up early! Stay away from Teavana. If you are gonna go big go cheap

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/10/14 5:41 pm

I'm not a fan of hot tea, so I only drink it as medicine, but I do have quite a variety of those. For iced tea, I generally stick to black tea.

02/10/14 6:14 pm

Thats what I used to tell my customers. If you drink tea when you are sick and it makes you feel better - why not drink it every day when you are well

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/10/14 6:37 pm

My problem is I don't care for hot liquids at all. No hot coffee, no hot soup, no hot chocolate... I make myself do it when I am sick.

02/11/14 9:35 am

With all the samples I've been trying, I've also been refrigerating them to see how they stand as iced teas. I'm surprised to learn that some get bitter upon cooling, others are wonderful. Since I'm an all-day sipper, the cold tea is important to me.

02/11/14 10:25 am

Cats do not store unused not brewed tea in fridge. Not like coffee

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
02/11/14 10:40 am

Cookie, I'm confused. We have always keep our tea in the fridge. ?

02/11/14 10:43 am

CC, No, I'm talking about refrigerating the rest of the brewed tea after I've tried it hot and seen how many steepings I can get. I have a few small jars in there now labeled with the tea name and I sip some every time I go by. A long time habit.

02/11/14 10:44 am

Take it out. The moisture kills it. Needs to be stored in air tight tin. This does not apply to Lipton and such and of
Course not brewed

02/11/14 10:51 am

Cats if you are rebrewing same day - do not refrig it. Just keep it on counter in infuser covered. You can refrig it to use next day. I would not keep it in fridge longer than that. I never put in fridge as i make by cup and drink all one day

02/11/14 11:35 am

CC - what happens if I refrig. rebrewed the same day? My whole purpose is to have it cold, and I dont usually have ice. (no space for ice in freezer...) how would it be better to refrig the next day instead?

LadyA Earth Explorer
02/10/14 3:54 pm

I'm still on the traditional loose leaf teas I brought over from Fortnum & Mason's in London.

Besides that I am quite fond of quince and peppermint teas. I also sometimes brew hot water w. fresh ginger.

02/10/14 10:23 pm

I love fresh ginger too. I have a chunk in the freezer I shave a little off of sometimes. I also use candied ginger, minced, it's quick to put on a cup of tea. Oh and it's great in cole slaw too.

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 3:42 pm

I've been more adventurous in the past, buying only loose teas, whether black, green, or various herbals. More recently I've fallen into the habit of teabags, although I still like nice varieties of all 3 types I mentioned. I'm wanting to go back

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 3:42 pm

to loose tea, & planning to purchase at the local tea shop.

02/10/14 3:47 pm

I wish I had a local teashop other than the mall one. They are very helpful and sometimes make you taste before buying. I have to go to NYC for that.

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 4:05 pm

Ours is just a little place. I've only been in it once, when my daughter & I ducked inside from blustery weather. They have an espresso bar & serve tea, but also sell bulk teas. From the chatter with customers while we drank our lattes, it

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 4:07 pm

sounded as if the employees knew their stock well. They also have a relatively inexpensive line of imported (from somewhere in Asia, I think) bags & textiles; I mean to go back if I'm looking for a bag. It's a nice little place.

02/10/14 4:11 pm

Thats why I know so much about tea. We were trained and tested. We were watch and learned as we worked. We had required reading. It really was a great job - i loved every day until the last few months I was there.

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 4:12 pm

That sounds like a fun job!

Something unhappy must have happened near the end, I'm guessing.

02/10/14 5:46 pm

It really was a fun job and we got to know our customers. Some came weekly, some monthly. Russian customers loved their tea and spent $ hundreds at a time. There were people who would spend $900 just on tea !

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 6:04 pm

Wow, that's a lot for tea. I would not have been one of your big-spending customers. Not that I don't love tea, I just have never had big bucks.

02/10/14 10:30 pm

I love comparing things. Today I made a small cup of each of the 4 oolongs that were in the sampler, 2 dark and 2 light green. And found a new love of my life --jade oolong. OMG!!

02/10/14 10:31 pm

After I have it hot then I see how many more steepings I can get, usually at least 3. I put these in the fridge and sip on them throughout the day.

susanr Colorado
02/10/14 10:49 pm

I've never had jade oolong. I'll look for it!

02/11/14 6:01 am

Cats all teas are re-steapable except herbals and Roibus. High quality black can be but not the lower end. Ooling will increase metabolism.

02/10/14 3:47 pm

Haha. You should try mates. Same amount of caffeine - more flavorful

02/10/14 10:33 pm

And no dead rat breath afterward...

02/11/14 9:27 am

@Rob - have you ever had a mug of peppermint tea, maybe with a little honey? It leaves a sweet yummy kissable mouth for quite awhile. Spearmint does too but not as much. I like lemongrass too. Now what's this about Austin? ;-) Hmmmm???? News?

02/11/14 10:26 am

Peppermint is good for colds and Rob is not quite so cold these days...

DaveL
02/10/14 3:31 pm

My fav is a tea I got in Ukraine. It is the whole top if the tea plant, with flower placed in a clear pot. It looks like it is alive in there, like a sea urchin or something. I have a friend who travels to china each year and brings back amazing

DaveL
02/10/14 3:31 pm

Tea. And a new tea set each year.

02/10/14 3:42 pm

How nice Dave. Is that a blooming tea? Usually white teas. Nice friend you have bringing you tea sets each year!

02/10/14 10:35 pm

I've seen those, they are beautiful. I would love to have a glass teapot but I bet I'd break it.

02/11/14 6:05 am

Yeah. I would stay away from glass. They are only good for blooming teas so you can see the flower.

02/10/14 3:16 pm

Oh darn it! Now you have blown my cover as a closeted tea snob.! FYI I cannot drink Lipton etc anymore and have been known to bring my own tea and infuser to restaurants.
#abnormalbehavior

02/10/14 10:38 pm

I will now start taking little stashes with me to restaurants and to the coffee shop where I meet friends on Saturday mornings. ...

02/10/14 10:40 pm

I'll just pay for the hot water and bring out my fragrant stuff. The jade will perfume the whole place!

Rosebud Ohio
02/11/14 12:48 am

That's funny chicken. I was telling my husband this past weekend, I can tell when it's a really good restaurant because they have good teas.
But it's also half why I despise Starbucks- they burned my tea every time I tried ordering one.

02/11/14 5:55 am

I never understood why many places from I Hop to a fancy non chain steak house my husband will get a full pot of coffee and i got a teabag sometimes on the table already and the waiter beings me a cup of lukewarm water

02/11/14 9:19 am

That's true, CC. Do you say anything about the water? I think from now on I'll be sure to say the water has to be steaming hot. I don't mind paying their price for tea even if I bring my own but this now becomes a teaching opportunity! More converts!

02/11/14 10:48 am

Cats - herbals/ Roibus boiling water brew 5 min. Green/ white not boiling -1-2 min
Oolong 3 min. I do my black 3 min

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
02/10/14 3:15 pm

I'm not a tea fan..

02/10/14 3:17 pm

Well me and Katz can do one of those interventions..

02/10/14 10:06 pm

There are at least 4 tea houses listed there in Orlando. You should take some nice young lady to one if them.
www.teamap.com/states/state_FL_Reviews.html

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
02/10/14 11:58 pm

I'd be more likely to take a young lady to one if there was one in the Austin area.. ...

02/11/14 11:41 am

No excuse now, sweetie. CC and I will expect a detailed report. On the tea, of course.
www.teamap.com/states/state_TX_Distance.html
This is the Austin area.

02/11/14 12:39 pm

Katz you need to go to a high tea. You would love it. Leave Rob alone. He has a lot on his mind

02/11/14 2:11 pm

CC, I've been to High Tea at the Brown Palace in Denver. It is so classy and elegant.
I thought this was a cool piece on the modern hip Tea Rooms: www.teamuse.com/article_011002.html

02/11/14 2:20 pm

Yes. That is where I found Adagio. Look for Teaberrys in Jersey. Thats where I go

02/10/14 2:48 pm

I've long been a tea nut with a whole china cabinet of different kinds. Now ChickenCookie has pointed me to a whole broader level of tea exploration with higher quality teas and more purposeful sampling and preparation.

02/10/14 3:45 pm

I ordered more today. You are contributing to my bad habit! Would love to talk to you off line about this because people are getting sick of us lol. You know where to reach me. I will let you know how my new teas are. Check out "foxtrot. Relaxing.

02/10/14 10:44 pm

That's why I started this poll. People will eventually move on but you and I (and anyone else interested) can keep commenting and we'll get notified as long as we comment in a thread that we were already in.

02/10/14 10:44 pm

Foxtrot is one I ordered today too.

02/11/14 10:31 am

This morning's tea is Assam Melody. Nice but I'm becoming more interested for awhile in exploring new paths. But I'm discovering the difference milk and/or honey makes with the black teas. I like this a lot.

02/11/14 10:37 am

I know I don't have the finely developed taste and aroma senses you do but I am keeping notes and trying to learn. Maybe I'll start a tea journal. I also read others' descriptions. So much diversity in how people experience them. So interesting!

02/11/14 10:37 am

Assam is a bit stronger. I wish they would label the "strongness" of all teas. Like Irish breakfast is something I would never drink again. If you add milk put it in as you brew not on top when its done. When I worked in the tea shop all teas were

02/11/14 10:40 am

Labeled according to how light or heavy they were in taste. Assam was one of the strong ones. You might want to invest in a white tea which is healthier than green tea If you notice some teas are labeled "not available". This is because of when

02/11/14 10:42 am

When they are picked etc. Roibus and herbals are really not true "teas" and not made from tea leaves. The more processed the tea the more caffeinated it is. White is just picked and dried. That is why it has no caffeine/ more expensive/rarer

02/11/14 11:46 am

Interesting about putting the milk in while brewing. Is that so as not to cool down the brewed tea? I heated the milk. Now that I think of it though, I think the Indians do brew their chai with milk. I LOVE that made from scratch, not bags.

02/11/14 11:48 am

Whites: I tried the White Symphony and just thought it was weak and not impressive. I need to make all 4 white ones together to compare and taste them more thoughtfully. Maybe I didn't make it strong enough. It was the first one I did.

02/11/14 12:32 pm

I don't like their white selection. I need a bit more flavor. Fredd from here is British and told me about the milk.

02/11/14 7:38 pm

I'm sipping the PuEhr Chorange, not prerinsed. It's delicious. I didn't expect to like it.

02/11/14 7:45 pm

You like everything. Didn't get my tea. Tomorrow.

02/11/14 7:48 pm

No, I really didn't like the PuEhr Poe. Or the White Symphony. Are you watching SOHOA it's on right now.

02/14/14 7:01 pm

CC, scroll to the top, I started a new comment thread.