Praetorianus February 10th, 2014 6:16am

A good friend tells you he thinks he's a pedophile but has decided to abstain and stay away from children, thinking it is wrong and telling you he has his urge under control and will seek therapy. You would...

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/13/14 12:13 am

I have no use for that person. I hope they get help and get it under control, but it isn't something I can just set aside. There are plenty of other people on the world, I don't need to associate with this one.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/12/14 7:46 pm

I know the cure to pedophilia. It involves a hammer and a plastic bag....

duey in a fools paradise
02/10/14 9:52 am

After reading the comments I guess you want me to say I would be supportive and try to help any way I could. Reality though? I would highly recommend he gets professional help if he didn't he would be off my Christmas Card list amongst other things.

kjs Minnesota
02/10/14 7:47 am

I would keep a very close eye on him and make sure I watch him around kids, especially mine. He wouldn't 't be allowed anywhere near them.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/10/14 7:27 am

I will always be supportive, my friend. Speaking generally, of course.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 8:07 am

Or specially. I came very close but could settle for being a male cougar. *wipes sweat from his brows*

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/10/14 9:24 am

Good thing. I'd rather have you in Key West than in the FSP system.

NYevo NY
02/10/14 5:46 am

If i truly believe that he is seeking help, i'll be supportive, but this is a one time shot. Like the person said before me, i'll be the first to turn him in and testify

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 6:25 am

This is a hypothetical scenario, assume he really wants help and didn't molest any child. This question is designed to test whether you are supportive or condemn him under all circumstances.

NYevo NY
02/10/14 4:13 pm

I'm pretty sure I'd be supportive in that scenario, but in all honesty, it would likely change the relationship to some extent i suppose. I have a friend that i support currently that has a major gambling issue.

NYevo NY
02/10/14 4:13 pm

I cant help but have that on my mind when a mutual friend of ours asks us to go Vegas

Liberty 4,032,064
02/10/14 5:27 am

As long as he controls himself, I'll be supportive.
If he ever harms a child, I'll be the first one to testify.

Skarface Banned
02/10/14 4:42 am

Pedophiles and child molester are often used interchangeably, but I'm glad that this poll made the distinction.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 4:53 am

Finally somebody with smarts. The LGBT community in Munich held an evening seminary in 2000 about pedophilia. A handful of pedos spoke out and they seemed nothing to be demonized, they suffered because everybody hated them. All said they...

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 4:54 am

...also hate people who rape children. I saw no monsters.

cyanospool The Deep North
02/10/14 4:06 am

Okay, so they have a fetish that involves violation of others' rights which is extremely wrong to act upon. Doesn't mean they aren't human beings who are capable of improvement, self-restraint and rehabilitation. Having such a conflicting . . .

cyanospool The Deep North
02/10/14 4:06 am

. . .desire is probably not "fun" for most who have it. And because of its (justified and morally correct) societal regard, it's got to be extremely difficult for someone to even admit they have a problem. Being supportive encourages more people, who

cyanospool The Deep North
02/10/14 4:07 am

. . .might otherwise hide it out of fear and let it consume them until they act on it by impulse, to be comfortable seeking help. Then maybe, just maybe, we'll see a reduced number of rapes/child-molestation because would-be-rapists are dealing . . .

cyanospool The Deep North
02/10/14 4:07 am

. . . with their problems like adults.

Torfin Never Behind
02/10/14 1:53 am

But I would also keep my distance

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/10/14 12:57 am

If he's being honest, it sounds like he understands himself and is going about things with sanity. I'd be supportive. Kinda wary, but if he's already a good friend, supportive. I'd be lying if I said it didn't creep me out though.

angryathiest seeing double
02/10/14 12:16 am

Let him know that if he acts on those urges I might kill him.

Rosebud Ohio
02/10/14 12:14 am

As long as he continues to work towards keeping himself under control and never acts on his urges we'll stay friends. However I remove him from the babysitting list...

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/09/14 11:36 pm

Odds are they need you, and if they are self aware enough that is a good sign.

Maybe give them a present of a taser to use on themselves if the urge gets too great.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/09/14 11:39 pm

This outrageous insensitivity deserves an unfollow. Goodbye.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/10/14 12:26 am

Apologies praetorianus. The just was meant as harmless. The first part of my comment is genuine. If they are willing to be this honest with you, they do need you as a friend.

I thought I have joked around with you enough for you to know the last..

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/10/14 12:29 am

part of my comment is in no way serious or a reasonable suggestion. It was a poor attempt at humor admittedly.

If this is a real situation I truly apologize. You are a very complex and fascinating user. Thanks for following me as long as you had.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
02/10/14 12:31 am

If a taser prevents their urges then it's better than a kid being molested or raped.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/10/14 12:38 am

Praetorianus, I do thank you for not also "ignoring" me so I am able to participate in your polls. I'll save my "humor" for other forums.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 4:59 am

Refollowed, I'm glad you accepted the slap on the wrist. This is one of the few topics where I think people demonize other people too much. I don't know if pedophilia is a mentall illness or not, but (see comments above), the so afflicted suffer.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 6:22 am

@Abolitionist: unfollow.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
02/10/14 6:37 am

Who gives a fuck? You aren't going to hurt my feelings. I don't want pedophiles following me anyway. And Ill unfollow back because don't even know why I was following your stupid ass polls anyway.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/10/14 7:13 am

Sweet. Many happy returns NOT, you miserable piece of dog turd.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/09/14 11:18 pm

I'd keep the friendship, I mean if I had a son or daughter I'm not sure I'd trust him around them but generally I'd be okay with it.

droo Santa Barbara
02/09/14 11:18 pm

I don't see any reason to dump him.