Maynard February 10th, 2014 4:24am

In your opinion, is the field of Psychology an Art or a Science?

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 9:26 pm

I never took a class in it but from what I hear (so this could be completely wrong) it is hypothetical and mostly theories so a little of both.

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 9:32 pm

But that can be said about many of the sciences, as well. There's a lot of speculation in Astronomy and Particle Physics.

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 9:33 pm

Well like I said I'm just going off of what I have heard (which is a bunch
Not high schoolers opinions who hate the class because of the amount of work they have to do in it)

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 9:36 pm

My bad ha. I'm coming down on you like you have. No, we do a lot experimentation. The issue we currently have though, is we're a different type of science; we speak in probabilities, rather than certainties.

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 9:38 pm

There are just some aspects of human behavior that can be a tad bit unpredictable sometimes, so until we can get these parts down, we'll still have issues with being wholly recognized as a science.

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 9:45 pm

To me I always considered some aspects (like dreams) a science behind the art of interpretation

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 9:49 pm

Well, that kind of stuff was done by Psychoanalytical psychologists, like Frued, and we have pretty much thrown all his theories out. We follow the same rules as biology and any other science, as that we emphasize that theories be falsifiable.

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 9:51 pm

I have always been interested in science and chemicals but one thing that I always hated was physics with all the theories and hypothetical situations.

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 9:58 pm

I love it though. If I could go back, I would have gone to college for particle physics or chemistry. What did you major in, out of curiosity?

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 10:01 pm

I'm starting college next year but I will be going in for business. I just wish I knew where I will be going

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 10:07 pm

That's always stressful. At least with a business major in mind, most, if not all schools have a business program; it really opens up your options.

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 10:10 pm

Sadly those options are an issue! I applied everywhere! From as far south as University of Alabama and Emory all the way North as Fordham and Holy Cross

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 10:12 pm

It's been a long time since I've had to, but how long do you usually expect to wait before receiving an acceptance letter or a rejection one?

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 10:15 pm

April 1 I will hear from all my colleges

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 10:20 pm

You think you got a good shot any of those schools?

MJSeals J.D.
02/09/14 10:24 pm

I have gotten into Fordham, Alabama no question, Holy Cross I'm expecting to get in, Emory im not sure but I also have gotten into Loyola MD which I liked so im not too nervous, I just want to end the process!

Maynard Londor
02/09/14 10:26 pm

No doubt. It's so nerve wracking. I'm doing the same thing right now, applying for graduate programs in clinical psych.