Diogenes February 7th, 2014 3:45pm

Anti-Subway activism forced the company to change their bread recipe. Odd that it only exists in the US Subways as other countries have banned the ingredient. (Note, Subway is not the only fast food place implementing this practice.) Ban it globally?

KatG Liberal in Ohio
02/07/14 5:26 pm

Your answer on the right made me giggle

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:19 am

Wait! What? Bread was banned from Subway? Some people are just fucked in the head. Subway should of told them to go fuck themselves.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 11:11 am

No cowboy. Read the link. It's from USA today and therefore really short. An ingredient in their bread is used only in the US but not in other countries because it's basically plastic.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 12:09 pm

And there's pink slim in McDonald's chicken nuggets.... If you don't like it, don't fucking eat there. It's that simple. This kind of stuff really pisses me off.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 1:47 pm

So you did read the article!

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:02 pm

It is not basically plastic, just because it's used in the production of yoga mats. When heated with yoga-mat polymer it breaks down into several gases (nitrogen, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide & ammonia), which get trapped in the polymer & create

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:03 pm

bubbles, creating the "foamy" nature of the yoga mat (according to Wikipedia).

The chemical may or may not be hazardous (all I saw today was that in MASSIVE amounts compared to what's used in bread, it may cause asthma), but

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:05 pm

I absolutely HATE it when the media takes one bit of a science story and twists, misinterpretes, & misrepresents it all out of proportion. I am SICK of seeing headlines about yoga mats & shoe soles. It's crappy journalism.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:05 pm

Is Subway forcing people to eat their plastic bread? No? Ok.

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:08 pm

Apparently I wasted my breath, or at least my typing fingers.

It. Is. Not. Plastic.

But if it were, would you want to KNOW that there was plastic in your bread, at least?

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 10:12 pm

Susan, I could be scientific and explain the breakdown of polymers to form bubbles and actually thought about it. I chose not to as I felt it would be wasted on anyone but you and RJ.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 10:12 pm

For all intents and purposes, it is an ingredient banned in foods in other countries.

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:15 pm

Haha! OK. I tried to explain it in someone else's poll, too.

Yeah, I know it's banned elsewhere. That doesn't necessarily mean we're the wrong ones. I'm all for less processed food, so flour, water, salt & yeast seem like all you really need.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:15 pm

My point, Susan, is that a minority of people getting something banned is NOT capitalism. If you don't like a product, don't buy it. That's my overall point.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:17 pm

America wasn't formed to be like other Nations. We make our own path.

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:19 pm

No, I understand your point, and I wasn't contesting that. I'm just saying that if you don't know there is something in their food that you might not want to eat, you really don't have the knowledge to make an intelligent choice about whether to

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:20 pm

buy from them or not. You're just at their mercy.

Prior to today, did you know that chemical was in their bread (& probably a lot of other commercial bread as well)?

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 10:29 pm

It can be found in several McDonald's products. I choose not to eat fast food altogether and avoid processed foods as well. It's proving more difficult to accomplish with time.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:30 pm

No, I didn't know but If you want something done right, then do it yourself. Making your own bread isn't that difficult. Everyone knows that homemade food is the best. When you rely on chain fast food to feed you, you get what you pay for.

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:35 pm

Diogenes - I almost never eat at fast food places; most often when I do it's at a locally owned Mexican place. And I buy mostly actual ingredients, little processed stuff, too. I don't see it getting harder, though. Where do you see that?

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:37 pm

cowboy - I agree with most of that. I generally eat one meal a week that I don't cook myself, from scratch, & that one is usually pretty decent. But that doesn't mean that I think it's OK for food producers to use stuff that people wouldn't want

susanr Colorado
02/07/14 10:37 pm

to eat, if they *knew* it was in their food.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:41 pm

That is the risk that they take. Lazy ignorant people have no right to complain about being lazy and ignorant.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:50 pm

Farmers know where their food comes from. Homemade bread, fresh cow milk, brown chicken eggs, fresh chicken, pigs, and grain feed cows. Clean living! The old fashioned American way. The way I was brought up. I knew where my food came from.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 11:13 pm

And fresh vegetables from our garden. Any left over overs were canned and put in the cellar for the winter. We didn't waste anything. Our craps were feed to the pigs which feed us. Ignorant people want to risk their lives for convenience.

EarlyBird Portland
02/07/14 10:08 am

I ❤️ Subway and think I'll simply agree with you, rather than read the article.
I trust your judgment.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
02/07/14 9:53 am

But make sure they keep the melamine in the milk. Need that undigestible plastic calcium boost!

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 11:09 am

Classic!

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/07/14 9:37 am

I didn't read the article but Michelle O is now involved with Subway.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/07/14 9:38 am

You should read it. It's quite disgusting.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/07/14 10:00 am

I liked you better on the prayer poll.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 12:10 pm

Of course Mrs. Obama is.... What a dumb fucking Cunt.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
02/07/14 9:12 am

It's great that they've responded that way.

jvc1133 61535