Show Of Hands February 6th, 2014 3:12pm

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has said that Apple should produce an Android phone. Agree?

Toxic
02/07/14 7:50 pm

I don't know I would kinda like to see them try.

Obamaican
02/07/14 2:22 pm

Apple IOS is like PALM OS to me, very limited and constricting. Android is more like windows and multi-tasks very well. I've replaced all my desktop machines with Android TV now and there is very little I miss from Win or Mac, IOS could never do it.

dralgo Ann Arbor, Michigan
02/07/14 1:26 am

Bad idea. That will dilute Apple's brand.

Redwallr hyrule
02/06/14 11:28 pm

No apple just no

MissN The Experiment
02/06/14 10:48 pm

Nope, that's already been done before, try again..

dabomb
02/06/14 10:30 pm

Androids feel cheap both on the outside & when you use them. Their app stores will never come close to Apple's. To make an android phone would be to take 3 leaps backwards

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/06/14 10:42 pm

My old android was just as good as my current iphone5, had apps I can't get in iTunes, and didn't have the worst battery know to man. I hate this piece of crap.

ken08106
02/08/14 7:46 pm

Dabomv you obviously never owned an android. They're several years ahead of apple and use standard technologies like usb connectors.

Its a bad idea for apple bc their product wont compare to samsungs an it'll make them look stupid.

dabomb
02/08/14 11:02 pm

Actually I have owned one plus plenty of other people have said that they just don't like the feel of android. & Samsung has copied so many things from Apple which has allowed them the opportunity to try to get ahead.

dabomb
02/08/14 11:03 pm

I bet within the next year most Samsung phones will have finger print scanner capability. I know Apple wasn't the first to create a phone with that feature but they will be the ones to popularize it

bridges2012 Oxnard, CA
02/06/14 10:25 pm

Why would Apple try to create an Android phone? Hasn't that already been done?? What Apple should is make flash available on iPads, iPod Touch's and iPhones!

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/06/14 10:44 pm

For real- I hate not being able to use flash so stupid.

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 11:27 pm

Try the app "Photon." Its a web browser that lets you view websites with flash.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/07/14 9:51 am

Yeah and I've used Iswifter in the past but it's annoying to not just be able to use flash. Just greed on the part of apple, wanting people to use their software.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/07/14 9:52 am

Which of course just results in us using alternate browsers, so it doesn't even benefit them in the end and it's been this way for years.

avscupquest Bronco
02/06/14 9:52 pm

The could call it the idud.

llamallama98
02/06/14 7:36 pm

Teddy Roosevelt disapproves of monopolizing the market

isusd5
02/06/14 7:34 pm

I said no but I'm guessing that he's better at making these decisions than me...

wilgeno Saint Paul, MN
02/06/14 6:56 pm

It would have better hardware and they'd fix the Droid OS bugs. But google and Samsung would file a lawsuit for something.

02/06/14 4:53 pm

I don't think apple would ever make an iPhone that ran Droid OS. If they did that, what incentive would there be for people to buy the iphone at all? They could just buy a cheaper Droid phone

02/06/14 4:57 pm

Androids are not cheaper by default. My GS4 is the same cost as my iPhone 5, and is in the same classification. However, there are more Androids (not Droids, that's a phone brand not an OS) and thus more price ranges and qualities.

02/06/14 5:08 pm

You're right. I forgot that there were some pricy Androids. I am actually interested in using one. Just haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm extremely reliant on my iphone for work and fear having issues in the transition

02/06/14 5:09 pm

I'd recommend the HTC One, Galaxy S4, Nexus 5, or Note III, if you wish to try one out.

02/06/14 5:12 pm

This is very specific. Can you assign favorites to email contacts so that they get their own ring or vibrate when they email?

02/06/14 5:14 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I really lime my iphone, but am no blind supporter like i used to be. I've used apple products for 13 years and they've been pissing me off a lot lately

02/06/14 5:17 pm

Yes, you can do that, and that is the most basic thing you can do. I can virtually control every aspect of my phone, even the way it looks (of course, I'm rooted, but even without root the customization is endless).

02/06/14 5:24 pm

Yeah the Nexus 5 is like $300 without contract. To put it in perspective, the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S4 are about $700 full price.

02/06/14 5:24 pm

oops meant to put that below

02/06/14 5:26 pm

Hmmm. You've given me a lot to think about. Thank you. I'm still on contract until at least May, so I have time to research. I'll start with the specs on the few you've suggested. Thanks again

02/06/14 5:30 pm

Oohh. One more question. I'd like to keep using iPhoto in my airbook for photos. Do you know if an android smartphone will be recognized as a camera by iphoto when i plug it into the airbook so that i can offload photos into iphoto the way i do now?

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/07/14 12:07 am

@NY. It depends if you are using a micro SD card (some Androids have this option) or if you plug it in. The SD will automatically go to iPhoto, if you plug it in you will need to drag the photo folder to iPhoto. There should be guides online too.

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/07/14 12:09 am

Another option is that if you have a Google+ on your phone, photos will automatically go to the Google+ website where you can view them on your computer. You could also use a cloud-sharing program like Dropbox.

02/07/14 5:18 am

Not to make lite, but this could be a deal breaker. When any camera, or iphone is plugged into my computer, iphoto recognizes it and asks if i want to offload photos. It manages thousands of photos between my wife and I. I really should find out

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
02/06/14 4:48 pm

No I like what Android is doing and I'm afraid Apple would just muck it up.

joe1111111
02/06/14 3:05 pm

Just because he was the co-founder of Apple doesn't mean he has good ideas. It was Steve Jobs that made the company successful, not him. His statement has no more merit than anyone else who has started a company and then abandoned it very early.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
02/06/14 3:49 pm

The woz was just the chief engineer, wasn't the visionary.

pedwingeorge Benson IL
02/06/14 8:20 pm

if you read the book about Steve jobs you would see that jobs was the one to sell the stuff woz was the inventor along with the help of some of his friends

whitepuppy Happy Birthday
02/06/14 2:36 pm

Umm what? It would be an improvement though because they would be building on a superior platform+hardware would be a step forward. I would not buy it though. It would be super expensive and apple would probably restrict what you can do on it

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 1:56 pm

I totally agree. Rather than diluting their superior product, an Android device is probably what the 5c should have been. And the solution to all of the inevitable annoyances? Upgrade to a real iPhone - it's just a few hundred dollars more.

02/06/14 3:53 pm

I don't know where you get this misconception of Android, maybe from the older ones, in which case I'd agree Apple products are superior. But anyone who so vehemently professes Apple is superior these days is either uninformed or a blind fanboy.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 4:34 pm

I have a friend with a Galaxy3 about the same age as my iPhone5. Hers is a nightmare. I went in to the store with the HTC One in mind and with no allegiances. After trying them all, then much later spending a day comparing mine to hers, no contest.

02/06/14 4:37 pm

I have a friend with an iPhone 5 that crashes every time she uses it for more than two hours, does that mean every iPhone is like that? Of course not, c'mon Zod you're smarter than that. The iPhone 5 is better than the S3 but not the HTC One at all.

02/06/14 4:39 pm

I have an iPhone 5 as well, and my Galaxy S4 (I have too much tech for my own good) is far behind my S4, even before I hacked the thing to do anything I want and look exactly the way I want. I hate Samsung's version of Android and HTC's so I rooted

02/06/14 4:41 pm

the phone, installed a custom boot loader, installed a zip file for a ROM of my choosing (there are literally thousands) flashed it and now I'm running pure Android (the OS on the Nexus 5). You cant do much other than browse the web and make calls

02/06/14 4:42 pm

with an iPhone. I have a mini computer in my pocket while you have a pretty little gadget that hass the size and equivalent specifications of a child's toy phone. I do enjoy Macbooks, but both the iPhone and iMac are ridiculously overpriced.

02/06/14 4:55 pm

Saying that you can't do much on an iphone beyond making calls and browsing the web is pretty ridiculous

02/06/14 4:55 pm

Its called hyperbole, look it up.

02/06/14 5:05 pm

Sorry, i didnt know that you like to exaggerate and not say what you mean on purpose. My bad

02/06/14 5:07 pm

Hyperbole is used as point of emphasis. I was merely emphasizing the minimalistic abilities of the iPhone in contrast to a similarly priced Android device, which is leaps-and-bounds more advanced.

02/06/14 5:10 pm

Honestly. Is it really that far ahead? I am really interested. What would i loose if i migrated? I'm completely tied in with work on my iphone

02/06/14 5:14 pm

I enjoy the iPhone, but I think it is overpriced. My S4 has 2GB RAM (the Note III has 3) and a ridiculously good processor and graphics card. The iPhone doesn't even have a full GB (but its close). But not only is spec performance better, the OS

02/06/14 5:16 pm

is much more customizable, fluid, user-friendly, and overall enjoyable (customization is key). Look up videos on YouTube that go more in-depth that are made by tech geeks. But not all Androids are created equal, so don't get a low-end one.

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 5:22 pm

Also the Nexus 5 is a great device too for the price.

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 5:30 pm

Yeah. I love Apple products, but it's hard to beat that price, especially with the camera and screen that the Nexus has

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 5:30 pm

Haha sorry, meant to post that where you posted the other one..

02/06/14 5:31 pm

Lol, thats ok, i'm following both conversations. I appreciate any suggestions

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 5:50 pm

There is nothing wrong with my friend's phone hardware, it's the Android OS. Specs mean nothing, only real world performance matters, and an OS that can do everything isn't much good if it makes any of the things that should be simple harder.

02/06/14 6:09 pm

Android is actually super simple. I would not judge Android on the S3, which runs on Samsung firmware, not pure Android, and the device isn't even that great. That's like me judging an iPhone 5S on iPhone 3 on iOS4. C'mon now.

02/06/14 6:10 pm

and if you can't figure out current-day Android I'm sorry but you should use a BlackBerry or JitterBug if stuff is that complicated for you.

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 6:19 pm

@NY I would also recommend taking a look at the Moto G. Not the best specs but only $170 for pure unlocked Android. Or if you want a cheap iPhone you can get the 4 for $199 from Virgin Mobile. This is what I use right now and I'm happy for the price.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 6:25 pm

At the time the S3 and 5 were the same price on a contract from the same provider, and one is a far better device. That one is not the S3. I'm not attached to either Android or Apple, but as of today, for the same money, I'd choose Apple.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 6:30 pm

For the record, I kid around a bit, but I don't have any trouble figuring out tech of any kind. But I can count keystrokes and menu levels to accomplish simple recurring tasks like logging on to a temporary WiFi network or adding an email account.

02/06/14 6:31 pm

The iPhone 5 is not a far better device, you obviously are attached to Apple. You are not objective in any way and are completely biased. I prefer the iPhone 5 over the S3 stock, but I can hack away at the S3 and make it way better. Nonetheless,

02/06/14 6:33 pm

The iPhone 5 is better simply because of the screen and design(which is a big deal to me). In everything else the S3 wins. and in screen the S4 wins as well. And you did not just bring up menu levels and keystrokes LMAO the iPhone takes MANY more ste

02/06/14 6:34 pm

ps to do simple stuff you have got to be kidding. Hey Zod, you see that cute little swipe up menu you have on iOS7. Well, lemma let you in on a little secret: Android has had a MUCH better one for YEARS. You did not go there lol research a bit.

02/06/14 6:39 pm

I get flamed up about this stuff, sorry, I just abhor overpriced and overhyped tech, as any true tech geek would. Like I said, Apple makes solid laptops, and I love them. But phones and desktops? They're great but not for the money. Whatsoever.

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 6:46 pm

I'm also a huge tech person (I actually do tech support at a retirement home) and like that iPhones, iPads, and Macs work together really well. In some ways Android is better but I feel like Apple is more of a "package" and more consistent.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 6:57 pm

You kind of make my point when you say the stock S3 isn't as good but you can improve it. Sure. You can jailbreak iPhones and add a lot of the features they are "missing" along with the reliability issues they are missing as well.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/06/14 7:00 pm

I'll always be comparing stock to stock at the same price point. It's rapidly becoming a moot point, because so few Android devices are available in a reasonably portable form factor. My standard for that is the iPhone5. Any bigger is unacceptable.

02/06/14 8:43 pm

@ry: i've had an iphone 4, and now a 5. My wife has the 5c. I'm very open to trying new things. I'm sure that i've not come across this way, but i'm fairly tech savvy

02/06/14 8:43 pm

and am always the one showing people hoe to use their phones. I'm pretty sure I cab figure out Android OS. I was just trying to figure out if it was worth it to even bother as i do rely heavy on my current smartphone for work and am already use to it

02/06/14 8:43 pm

Oh, and no one wrote back about iphoto, lol

ry1206an Pawnee City Council
02/06/14 8:47 pm

Do you use just the iPhone for work, or a Mac and an iPad as well? If it's just the phone, I think you could easily transition to Android (even though personally I prefer Apple, but its worth it to check Android out). What was the iPhoto question?

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/06/14 1:52 pm

Why would they go to an inferior product that stole their ideas?

whitepuppy Happy Birthday
02/06/14 2:33 pm

You got them flipped

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
02/06/14 3:51 pm

Android ripped off iOS

02/06/14 3:54 pm

iOS completely ripped of Android you can't be serious? Seriously, do some research. All the "innovations" in iOS7 Android had years ago.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
02/06/14 3:58 pm

Android ripped off iOS from the start.

02/06/14 3:59 pm

You have no evidence for that, which is probably why you haven't provided any. Ask any tech guy or computer engineer and they will tell you in a heartbeat, Android did not and has never stolen from iOS, the exact opposite is true.

kut17
02/06/14 4:40 pm

Android existed before 2007. Google bought it in 2005, released the software in 2007, and the first phone in 2008. It was in the making long before Apple came out with iOS.

02/06/14 4:44 pm

Thank you kut. Not to mention the very first Androids had all the features iOS7 fanboys currently gawk over.

kut17
02/06/14 6:05 pm

I should clarify. Google bought Android in 2005, but it was initially created in 2003 by another company. Apple didn't start developing iOS until 2004.

darthezu Philly
02/06/14 1:39 pm

The Woz is on to something here. If Android keeps taking Apple's marketshare they may have in order to stay competitive. Personally I would never buy an Apple phone regardless of the OS. Price+poor quality=ripoff!

cluney
02/06/14 2:50 pm

Poor quality does not describe apple. That is a fact.

darthezu Philly
02/06/14 2:58 pm

As an IT professional that deals with technology all day everyday I'm sorry to inform you but you're incorrect about Apple. Their phones are poorly made and aren't nearly as durable as comparable brands. Sex appeal is Apple's main selling point now.

cluney
02/06/14 3:02 pm

I'll argue that one. I have had several of both and it's no competition. Apple wins. They are made of steel and glass where the competitors are almost exclusively plastic. Look up any article comparing the two.

cluney
02/06/14 3:06 pm

I have had an iPhone since 2009. (3 different ones). Not once have I had a single problem of any kind. My brother was an android guy. He had 2 break on him the first year and switched to Apple.

cluney
02/06/14 3:06 pm

Not exactly scientific research I know. But I value my personal experience above all else when buying products.

darthezu Philly
02/06/14 3:13 pm

The glass screens on them are part of the problem. I can't tell you how many iPhone screens I have replaced in the last 5 years! Thinking about it now only makes me annoyed at Apple's poor build quality.

cluney
02/06/14 3:17 pm

I won't argue that it's easy to crack the screens but that is easily fixed with a case. My problems with android are more related to freeze ups, constant hard resets, glitches, rapidly declining battery life, etc.

darthezu Philly
02/06/14 3:18 pm

Sounds like you've been lucky so far. Many of my friends and colleagues have switched away from iPhones after having them break and Applecare not doing anything because either the phone is out of warranty or its a broken screen.

cluney
02/06/14 3:30 pm

Perhaps, but I'll stick with them till my luck runs out.

darthezu Philly
02/06/14 3:45 pm

Yeah use it until the wheels fall off. It takes time to figure out how to use a new OS. Good luck!

02/06/14 3:56 pm

You've had an iPhone since 2009, which was the year of your last Android. Android has come leaps and bounds from that point. There are no glitches or random crashes anymore, do some research.

rcgrant south carolina
02/06/14 1:32 pm

no I love my android and hate the iPhone but why sell out make what you have better and affordable. and for God sakes
do something g about customer services.

copperhead
02/06/14 1:27 pm

Do the words "New Coke" ring a bell?

lagg
02/06/14 12:46 pm

Sure and mcdonalds should start selling whoppers too

kut17
02/06/14 12:44 pm

They may have to in the future if Android keeps chipping away the market share at the rate it has been.

polster2 US
02/06/14 12:03 pm

WTF is he smoking? Android is made by Google. Plus, that would totally defeat the purpose of iOS.

Brrrrrrrrr
02/06/14 11:51 am

Steve jobs would not approve, his goal was to destroy android, not partner with it.

TomM
02/06/14 11:43 am

It's too late. I don't think they can make a business out of it. Their hardware is not that unique anymore to justify a higher prices they will need.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
02/06/14 11:43 am

That kind of defeats the purpose of the iPhone...

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
02/06/14 11:30 am

business wise it makes sense. "apple wise" it's very telling. what are they afraid of?

nickvicious
02/06/14 11:20 am

The Woz recognizes the Apple market shrinking!

Br@ndon Your Soul
02/06/14 11:14 am

I would be kinda nice. What about a phone that can boot both?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
02/06/14 10:51 am

Only if they altered Droid to work more like iOS.

pandaxoxo Colorado
02/06/14 10:47 am

Wouldn't that defeat the point?

dirkdd
02/06/14 10:44 am

This is why he was phased out!

pcox104 Florida
02/06/14 10:43 am

Oh how Apple would lose its luster. It's glory days loom like they are fading.

MrWolfe Nashville
02/06/14 10:23 am

Apple is a hardware company and always has been, an important distinction from Microsoft or Google. Macs have been able to dual-boot OS X and Windows for years, so I don't see this as being much different. Probably would be a good business move

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
02/06/14 10:52 am

Dual-boot I could get on board with. That would actually be awesome! But I don't think I'd buy a Droid only iPhone.

DrDollylonglegs in the lab... again
02/06/14 10:12 am

If the Woz thinks it's a good idea, then who am I to disagree?

blockfisher Clinton, CT
02/06/14 10:01 am

no, but I do think they should licence ios out to other companies. If they did it well they would go back to dominating the smartphone market.

CAKE is good for the soul.
02/06/14 9:50 am

Nah, you can't dip your hands into everything and have them all be good. Keep specializing.

CAModerate California
02/06/14 9:42 am

Steve needs to get off the pipe.

melders Entertainment Sometimes
02/06/14 9:38 am

Yes! Hopefully the new Microsoft CEO will say their next machine should be Linux based, or that Windows should become open source. Then we can be done with operating systems that only one company can sell. But that won't happen. :(

collin North Carolina
02/06/14 9:36 am

Right.. And the US government should start manufacturing weapons for al-Qaeda. Seems like a bad idea

roger78
02/06/14 9:35 am

I'm thinking a monopoly will be created from that.

Oboette17 Senioritis
02/06/14 9:35 am

I think Steve Jobs believed that you shouldn't match your competitors or do something better than them, but you should do something different. Making an android would be doing the former.

melders Entertainment Sometimes
02/06/14 9:42 am

MacOS is built off of Linux, an open-source platform. If Android had been decent when Apple built the iPhone, maybe they would have built the iPhone off of Android, an open-source platform.

imawench
02/06/14 9:24 am

I said no, but who am I to argue with Wozniak? He' s a bit more successful than I.

cluney
02/06/14 9:04 am

And maybe Pepsi can start selling Coke!

CAKE is good for the soul.
02/06/14 10:20 am

I see no downside! End the "oh, we only have Pepsi products" What is this, Mordor? Where's the damn Coke.