Joshua77 February 6th, 2014 2:55am

A common argument on SOH against capital punishment is, "Death is too easy; let them suffer for life in prison instead." Do you want prisoners to suffer? If so, why?

zpastor
02/08/14 6:49 pm

They should suffer similarly to how they made others suffer. A 3 drug cocktail is often too easy a way out, if a victim bled out or suffered a prolonged death with pain and agony that should be reflected in their sentencing.

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
02/08/14 12:27 pm

They need therapy not torture anyone who takes a life has a mental problem that needs addressed.

WordNerd Mehsville
02/08/14 3:16 am

They should be made to suffer for the pain they've inflicted on not only the victim, but his/her family and friends who are suffering over their loss of a loved one. If I had a family member put to death for purposely taking an innocent life,

WordNerd Mehsville
02/08/14 3:17 am

I would still feel the same.

Linds16 New York
02/08/14 1:54 pm

I completely agree with you

vfabrizio613 Probably in my basement
02/07/14 9:46 pm

Suffering is caused by suffering or the potential for suffering.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 12:45 pm

Then keep complaining that taxes are too high dumbasses...

ZeusRaindropz Living in Idiotland
02/06/14 8:17 pm

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, blood for blood, life for a life. If they kill or are a serious threat to America, kill them. They can suffer in their afterlife. If you execute them, it's just one less scum-baf in the world :)

ZeusRaindropz Living in Idiotland
02/06/14 8:18 pm

But if you murder someone in self defense, that shouldn't get you on death row.

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/06/14 6:32 pm

This will make me sound cruel but... I don't want to pay for them. They shouldnt get to continue to leech off society! They have committed a crime serious enough to warrant death. So execute them. Death Row does cost a lot but thats mainly court

RBecker17 The Sultan of Rum
02/06/14 6:32 pm

bureaucracy surrounding the issue

leilu SoCal
02/06/14 5:41 pm

I just don't believe we should kill people, regardless of their crime.

mccougar
02/06/14 11:44 pm

Maybe you'd feel differently if you were the victim or family/friend of a victim.

kjs Minnesota
02/06/14 1:24 pm

My husband has a friend whose sister was viciously raped & murdered. They found him before the police did & beat him senseless. The police stopped him from killing him because they didn't want him in prison. He was killed in prison. Good riddance.

Maynard Londor
02/06/14 12:33 pm

Depends on the severity of the crime and the intent behind the crime. Someone who goes to jail for pot, really doesn't deserve to suffer vs someone who murders another (not in self-defense of themselves or others) deserves to suffer.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
02/06/14 12:22 pm

In general, I want justice for the victims. If the family of a murder victim requests clemency for the murderer, it should be granted. If they request the death penalty, the trial should proceed as it was originally appropriate to proceed.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
02/06/14 12:24 pm

Suffering as a goal does not enter into the equation for me. Only consequences for actions. If the result is suffering, then regrettably, so be it. If the result is the absence of suffering, then so be it.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/06/14 5:37 pm

Oooh, I like that idea a lot.

Destructor ohio
02/06/14 12:19 pm

Imagine this: A murder with a sickle busts into your home and guts your family and tortures you only to be captured by the police. What would you want done to him. Im all for the death penalty but there honestly needs to be something worse than that

missmorganmarie ...
02/06/14 11:16 am

I would want a person that rapes a 2 year old to suffer. it could never come close to the amount of suffering inflicted on that toddler, but it's a start.

DavesNotHere where am I
02/06/14 10:29 am

I feel this way. Let someone who rapes, murders, commits pedophilia and other heinous crimes suffer for what they did. I guess that's the primal in me.

MrChris80 California
02/06/14 10:07 am

Yes! You commit a felony, you SUFFER the consequences.

Alkan
02/06/14 9:42 am

I'm against the death penalty because not all people executed are truly guilty.

ZeusRaindropz Living in Idiotland
02/06/14 8:21 pm

Well same thing goes for people put in prison. What if a person who is innocent is sentenced to 20 years in prison and they get rape there? What if an innocent person is sent to death row? Innocent people can be wrongly convicted in almost

ZeusRaindropz Living in Idiotland
02/06/14 8:21 pm

Every situation. So there really is no difference.

Alkan
02/06/14 8:38 pm

Execution is irreversible. Prison is not.

BillieJoeCobain Earth turns from sanity
02/06/14 9:39 am

You kill someone, pay for it.

theratpack
02/06/14 8:42 am

no because tax payers suffer as well. a rope is only a few dollars. I did a research paper on the issue and the amount of $ spent is crazy.

Ebola1 Florida
02/06/14 8:20 am

No, I'm not for torture. We put down our pets to end suffering so let's do the same with prisoners and the DP. Just do it quickly.

missmorganmarie ...
02/06/14 11:18 am

yes we put down our pets, but our pets didn't rape someone or rape a child or go on a killing spree or bomb a marathon. it is a completely different thing

jvc1133 61535
02/06/14 7:25 am

Let court decide

carter1 Lakeland
02/06/14 5:57 am

I support Capitol punishment for multiple murderers, serial rapists, and small acts of terrorism. For large acts of terrorism Send em' to Gitmo for life, it's hell, for everything else prison time.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/06/14 5:52 am

Yes, suffer. It's cheaper. It's easier on everyone.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/06/14 5:31 am

I would be one of the first that would stand up and support punishment to match the crime for certain offenses. where someone has shown a complete collapse of their humanity like sought to make their suffer. However, many criminals aren't like that

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/06/14 5:33 am

and instead their crime stems from selfishness or what they would perceive as need. Again, to apply a blanket of punishment to all criminals doesn't account for the varying offenses.

jmw7477 Indiana
02/06/14 5:25 am

It is too easy. However, we shouldn't have to pay for them to suffer. Get them out of this world. I believe they'll have to answer for what they did.

macabregenius In Purgatory
02/06/14 4:16 am

I guess it's all assumptions. Assume that if you're spending time in prison, you'll automatically feel remorse and/or find religion. When in reality, prisoners just live day to day not softening and reflecting but hardening and losing empathy.

GreatGatz DMV
02/05/14 11:25 pm

It is not so much for them to suffer, but instead to realize their wrongdoing(s). Many people, first of all on death row, are INNOCENT! Second of all, those that aren't, have the time to reconcile and change. People that aren't on death row even do

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
02/05/14 10:50 pm

No. Our system makes money off of prisoners. So we need them to stay in there long. 90% of sentences are for too long. Unless you're a celebrity, then 40% of the time they're too short.

swervin Maryland
02/06/14 12:28 am

60% of the time, it works every time.

Colorado303 Future Seattle Resident
02/05/14 10:38 pm

Yes, but it's not really suffering in our prisons. Better just to put them to death

swervin Maryland
02/05/14 8:08 pm

I want people who commit capital offenses to be put to death. It may be "cheaper" but I don't care.

HotelCompany sight picture
02/05/14 7:59 pm

The liberals don't really mean it when they say that. They say it only because it gives their position against capital punishment a hard edge and inoculates them against the accusation that they're soft on crime. Liberals want anyone to "suffer?" NO.

HotelCompany sight picture
02/05/14 8:00 pm

Just look at polls where capital punishment isn't the question, but prisoner issues are. They don't want anybody to suffer whether it be people who are lazy deadbeats sitting on welfare or rapists in prison.