vfabrizio613 Probably in my basement
02/07/14 9:49 pm

Extremism is forcing beliefs upon yourself that fit a standard, even if you don't fully agree with it to begin with.
It's like lying to yourself to make yourself feel better about something.

joe1111111
02/06/14 11:28 pm

Extremism is not a definitive term, so it can't be said that is it "wrong" unless you define what you see it as as wrong. Murder is definable, so you can it is wrong. Someone can be zealous for their faith and not be dangerous to a fly.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/07/14 4:22 pm

I agree. That makes more sense to me then defining extremism as wrong.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
02/06/14 12:46 pm

Not inherently, no. I'm extremely in favor of people minding their own business and expecting others do the same.

truspec Texas
02/06/14 8:16 am

"But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist for love:

truspec Texas
02/06/14 8:19 am

'Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."And John Bunyan: 'I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience.'...

truspec Texas
02/06/14 8:20 am

And Abraham Lincoln: 'This nation cannot survive half slave and half free.' And Thomas Jefferson: 'We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal . . .' So the question is not whether we will be extremists,

truspec Texas
02/06/14 8:21 am

but what kind of extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or for the extension of justice?" -MLK Jr

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/06/14 11:12 am

That's more or less my take on it. Great quotes!

rlands
02/05/14 9:03 pm

Yes, because it's much less likely to compromise, something that's necessary in a culture like ours.

Also, the prof pic...it's just too cute.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/06/14 2:15 am

Wouldn't inherently bad mean it's always bad? And it doesn't *always* lead to lack of compromise, so I don't think that's necessarily true.

And thank you :)

rlands
02/06/14 5:56 am

Hmmm I'm not sure inherently implies always...I think it deals more with the nature of the concept, which has the tendency to resist compromise. So I guess it comes done to the semantics of inherent.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/06/14 11:11 am

Interesting. I interpreted inherent as something that's naturally comes with/is a part of something else.

rlands
02/06/14 12:49 pm

I'd be inclined to say that inherently just assumes the tendency to act a certain way...but I don't know for sure. That word is overused in my opinion, I guess I don't fully get its meaning.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/05/14 8:35 pm

Inherently? No. Is it usually? Yes.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/05/14 6:23 pm

Not what talking heads or politicians would call extremist, but true extremism that by definition is a tiny minority position. It may not be bad if all it is is annoying, but when they start blowing stuff up to make their irrelevant point, always.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/05/14 6:27 pm

I think in that situation, it's the blowing stuff up that's bad, not the extremism. Extremism *can* lead to bad things, but I don't think it's inherently bad itself.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/05/14 6:33 pm

Yeah, that's a good point, but until they start doing something bad, like the Westboro crowd or the Unabomber, they are just the wackos in tin foil hats nobody pays any attention to. So either inherently irrelevant, or inherently bad.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/05/14 6:37 pm

Do you think there could ever be a good extremist view?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/05/14 6:54 pm

I guess there could be, because change has to come from somewhere, but sustainable change usually seems to come from closer to the middle. Those at the extremes often seem to complain that it isn't enough. I'm not sure they have much effect.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/05/14 6:58 pm

That's a good point. I don't think extremism is bad, but it's not very influential either.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/05/14 6:58 pm

I changed my vote to "no" by the way, because of the technicality I hadn't considered. I think it is always either inherently bad OR inherently irrelevant. There may be exceptions, but I can't think of one right now.

Cole12 ...
02/05/14 6:16 pm

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/05/14 6:28 pm

I was just thinking, if libertarians answer yes to this, that would be a bit contradictory.

spicysteve M14D SBS
02/05/14 6:15 pm

Ironically enough, that's a pretty extreme belief.

political Georgia
02/05/14 6:14 pm

It was extreme for our founding fathers to declare independence, aren't you glad they did though!

HayleyS looking up.
02/05/14 6:13 pm

Definitely not. It used to be extreme to think women should have equal rights haha

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/05/14 6:26 pm

I'm going to bet that wasn't an extremist view necessarily, but a majority view among people who just weren't counted.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/05/14 6:12 pm

I don't think so, but my perception of this is skewed. I've heard some people say that extremism is always bad, and I wanted to see others' thoughts on that.