violence February 6th, 2014 1:09am

Would you pay for your 22+ year old child's graduate degree?

cpaswr just say the letters
02/07/14 9:45 pm

It depends on if I could afford it without going into debt and his grades. But, I'm not planning on it.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/06/14 2:36 pm

No. I would fully support them emotionally and help out with things as most parents do. But they're old enough and now educated enough to hold a job that will pay for their extra schooling. They'll get a better head start with real life that way too.

EngrNate CA Conservative
02/05/14 9:25 pm

Absolutely not. They would have their bachelors degree, and with a descent amount of work experience, should be very employable, assuming they go for a useful degree.

DrHurt
02/05/14 6:45 pm

I most certainly would. And I would encourage her to do it, when the time comes.

jvberg Winter has Come
02/05/14 6:32 pm

I would help the best I could but probably wouldn't out right

Vincere Seattle
02/05/14 6:13 pm

Undergraduate - sure, if I could. But after 4 years that kid is on his/her own, I ain't payin' for no fancy graduate degree.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 6:12 pm

I would support or supplement, but not pay for it entirely.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 6:47 pm

Ah, hell... I'd pay for it, but I would encourage them to get scholarships. It's really easy to do...

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 6:48 pm

I seem to be arguing with myself more than usual today.

violence Pretty hate machine
02/05/14 6:50 pm

So, out of curiosity, do you ever cut off their financial support? And if so, when?

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 6:56 pm

After they graduate. In order to receive the support,they must maintain a certain average or higher, and stay out of legal trouble. I'll say >3.8 GPA.

violence Pretty hate machine
02/05/14 6:59 pm

So you would pay for them all the way through a PhD or an MD? If they become a doctor do you pay for med school? What about while they're a resident?

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 7:05 pm

Assuming I have the money to, yes. I wouldn't go into debt on their behalf, though. I would likely require they apply for every scholarship available to them. That's what my parents have done for me, and I have the same stipulations.

violence Pretty hate machine
02/05/14 7:08 pm

Yeah... that's just crazy to me. Even if I had the money I would never do that.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 7:12 pm

I'm shocked. :P
The goal is their ultimate well-being in subsequent years. If they leave school in good academic and financial standing it will set them up for a much simpler future, and from that point on, they're entirely (financially) independent.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 7:16 pm

Living debt-free makes life much easier, and assuming all of my conditions are met, their paying student loans off for decades seems unnecessary.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 7:21 pm

Easiest solution... No children. ;)

violence Pretty hate machine
02/05/14 7:42 pm

I agree with all those things but I think they should do it on their own. It's shocking to me that people receive financial support from their parents often into their 30s and seem to expect it, and think it's normal.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
02/05/14 7:45 pm

I don't think children should expect it, nor should parents feel obligated. I do think that doing so voluntarily while living within one's means is entirely reasonable. A parent who ruins their own life in doing so is rather strange, though.