HayleyS February 5th, 2014 6:36pm

Christians: Should you still tithe to your church even if you are having a hard time providing for your family?

jondavis Oklahoma
02/07/14 9:35 am

This sounds like a time to talk to church leaders and ask for help.

GotHeem Indiana
02/06/14 5:08 am

God made it very clear that we are to give 10% of our income back to Him. God will provide.

pcox104 Florida
02/05/14 5:57 pm

I grew up in a very wealthy mega church but reading these comments I can't help but think that a church helping you "get back on your feet" is a foreign concept to me.

nickyreads You Are Loved
02/05/14 5:23 pm

absolutely! if God can trust you when you have a little, he will trust you with a lot

Liberty 4,032,064
02/05/14 5:18 pm

Absolutely. Withholding your tithe won't make things any easier on you.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
02/05/14 2:30 pm

Yes, and ask said church to help you and your family until you can get back on your feet. That's what churches are supposed to do - help others in need. There should be no doubt nor question on this matter.

pcox104 Florida
02/05/14 2:14 pm

Wasn't there a story about a poor lady giving pennies to the offering being a greater sacrifice than the rich man gives a lesser percentage but more money?

EngrNate CA Conservative
02/06/14 12:32 am

Yes. Jesus said that even though the quantity she gave was very small compared to the Pharisee, her gift was greater as she gave all she had and in the right spirit, while the Pharisee gave much from his abundance and gave so everyone could see him.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
02/05/14 1:36 pm

I personally dislike the idea of tithing at all, but to each their own.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
02/05/14 1:32 pm

I always tithe more than 10% because God is the one that provides not me. My company also tithes 10% of all income and it has been blessed. It's not about the money it's about trust and obedience

JClementine11 Washington
02/05/14 12:50 pm

I believe that your church should help members out in times of need, that said, as soon as any kind of surplus income arrives tithing should start again. as someone earlier said, its not buying your way into heaving, its helping spread the word

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
02/05/14 12:32 pm

If God tells you to do something do it. Jesus encouraged it too so we know its not just a money hungry pastor. The church is supposed to be your welfare not the government.

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
02/05/14 12:32 pm

if you are struggling to support you family you should be able to share that with the church.

steelcity Pittsburgh
02/05/14 12:27 pm

Tithing is not buying your way into heaven, it is supporting your pastor and church community, missionaries spreading the word, those who do not have enough to support themselves. If you are having trouble supporting your family, your church should

steelcity Pittsburgh
02/05/14 12:29 pm

Be willing to support you financially while you get on your feet.
That said, if my church gives me $1,000 I am planning to give about $100 right back next week.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:26 pm

www.lds.org/topics/tithing?lang=eng

This saved me a long explanation. But I love that my tithing doesn't buy my bishop a fancy car and big house

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:28 pm

I always loved that about my church. I've had bishops and stake presidents who had retired or still worked hard as doctors, surgeons, tech managers, etc and still managed to spread good and meet with members.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:30 pm

Tithing also helps fund poor families who need groceries, pay for poor missionaries who still want to serve, service in poor countries...I could sing praises all day! God is good

keepinupwjonesy Long Beach
02/07/14 1:26 am

Thanks for sharing. The past couple months have been rough on the small business my dad owns, and today he came home with groceries from the Bishop's Storehouse. My parents pay faithfully, and receive blessings for it. I'm grateful that other

keepinupwjonesy Long Beach
02/07/14 1:27 am

people tithe as well and that we are able to be helped out at this time! Of course I hope it doesn't last long though :)

rebelfury76
02/05/14 12:01 pm

Tithing is a farce. You can't buy your way into heaven

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:21 pm

No, but it's a way you show your thanks for what you do have. My parents taught me if I always paid tithing I'd always have enough money for my needs. So far it's true

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:22 pm

But in my church the bishop, and anyone who teaches, etc. don't get paid. All the money goes directly to the church. To build temples, more churches, etc. my bishop is a pediatrician for a living.

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 12:33 pm

It's not buying your way into heaven at all haha.

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/05/14 3:50 pm

my bishops a dentist, and I work for the 2nd counselor in the stake presidency

rebelfury76
02/05/14 3:52 pm

I give thanks everyday. I know a scam when I see one though.

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 4:06 pm

Sure, k, keep thinking feeding the pastor is a scam.

rebelfury76
02/05/14 4:13 pm

Everyone giving 10% of their income is quite a bit of money. I'm suspicious of anyone who says I owe them money.

rebelfury76
02/05/14 4:16 pm

and why does it need to be their full time gig? They could be volunteers and have day jobs.

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 4:17 pm

How big is your church haha? Either way, there's much more to than just the pastor. Also, I bet more people like me just give what they can, rather than 10%

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/05/14 4:17 pm

in my church, they are volunteers

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 4:17 pm

Why can't it be their full time gig haha?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
02/05/14 11:49 am

10 percent is God's, regardless of how much I make (or don't make). God owns it all anyway. Personally , I do better each month on the 90 percent, than 100 percent..it's amazing on how God makes that happen ...

icytoes the tepid north
02/05/14 8:57 pm

I was gonna say, 100% of it is God's, He's just letting me use it. The least I can do is use a small portion of it the way He's asked me to.

MJSeals Esq.
02/05/14 11:47 am

I personally do not, my parents however do write a check every week even though we never actually go to Church

usernamehere Raise a little hell
02/05/14 11:45 am

God doesn't care about your wallet. He only cares about your faith.

usernamehere Raise a little hell
02/05/14 11:58 am

I find it hard to believe that the same guy who came to save everyone, rich, poor and in between, also wants your money.

curtron basement of the Alamo
02/05/14 12:23 pm

Sometimes tithing is a way to show your faith.

usernamehere Raise a little hell
02/05/14 12:42 pm

Why does God need that? I was always taught that faith is always more than enough.

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 12:45 pm

To me, it shows that you're trusting in God to help you with your finances

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 1:53 pm

Well, you're giving your money to God and trusting God to honor your commitment, rather than spending that money on yourself.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/05/14 11:43 am

A new African Christian went to his pastor with a large fish. He said, "Pastor, here is my tithe." The Pastor said, "What a fine fish! But where are the other nine?" The man said, "I am going to catch them right now!" This is the type of faith that

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/05/14 11:47 am

God rewards. There are many examples of couples who paid their tithes to the church first, and received unexpected financial blessings. In Malachi 3:10 (?) God challenges His people to 'bring the tithes into the storehouse.' And there's a kind of

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/05/14 11:50 am

dare to it - He says, 'Test Me and see if I don't pour out a blessing in return.' I can't quote it exactly from memory, but you get the idea. :o)

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:33 pm

It is Malachi 3:10! but that makes sense why the place where the church gives needy people groceries is called the bishop's storehouse. Durp

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
02/05/14 3:53 pm

and the people shall say, "wherein have we robbed thee?" "in tithes and offerings."
not the same verse, but it's the part I can remember.

HayleyS looking up.
02/05/14 11:37 am

I know many Christians who say no matter what you should continue to tithe because God will bless your money if you faithfully give to him

Zingerz Wisconsin
02/05/14 11:40 am

If money is the only thing you can give to your god then your god is false.

Zingerz Wisconsin
02/05/14 11:44 am

It seems that the 2 things ministers hold on to from the old to testament is tithing and gay hatred. Jesus's teachings seem to be ignored whenever it comes to money and judging.

HayleyS looking up.
02/05/14 11:45 am

I agree. However family and my Christian school economics class taught me that God will bless you financially in difficult times if you never stop tithing. That should always be a priority.

curtron basement of the Alamo
02/05/14 12:24 pm

What about lay ministers who receive no paycheck?

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 12:31 pm

God doesn't need the money, but the church sure does.

Zingerz Wisconsin
02/05/14 12:34 pm

Brainwashing by those benefitting from the sheep's donations. If the only way god will bless you is from you giving money, (bribery?) what does that say about your god?

Zingerz Wisconsin
02/05/14 12:34 pm

Look to how Jesus treated money and people making money is "God's name".

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:35 pm

God doesn't need the money...or fish he demonstrated that he clearly know how to catch fish. It's a faith thing, and church supporting.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/05/14 12:36 pm

Hayley, I always love your religion polls. They are enlightening and I like thinking what would I do, and reading how others believe as well. It helps with a sense of community on here to know I'm not alone

MrEdwin Mystery
02/05/14 12:38 pm

Money isn't the only thing I give to God haha, in fact I don't have much of it at all to give to God anyways :p

I agree with fox