OhTheIrony February 4th, 2014 4:20am

The year is 2034. Your best friend confides to you that (s)he is ready to die after living a fulfilling life. (S)he wants to say goodbye before committing suicide. (S)he seems sane. If you were to seek "help" for them, who would you be doing it for?

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
02/04/14 7:05 am

Yourself, clearly. It's selfish. A lot of people have this misconception that everyone enjoys life and wants to live a long one. I can imagine myself saying this to a friend and if their reaction was to seek help for me, I'd feel betrayed and pissed.

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
02/04/14 7:06 am

That may seem like an extreme reaction, but in reality it's not. I've clearly expressed to the person I'm satisfied with the life I've live and am not longer interested in continuing. Who are you to make the call that I'm wrong about that?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
02/04/14 6:41 am

He or she would still have a lot more ahead of him or her. Suicide would traumatize friends and family members alike. Besides, how does this person know that there may NOT be anything über exciting later in life?

Wackacrat Harford County
02/04/14 4:50 am

If they are not asking for your help, then you are definitely doing it for yourself, selfishly I might add.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/04/14 1:18 am

Considering we will both be in our 80s that would be fine with me she actually helped another one of her friends exit world.

kermie gaytopia
02/03/14 10:53 pm

Sorry this question is so downvoted :/ I like it.

I think I would be doing it for the friend because even if they seem same to me I'm not qualified to make that judgment.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
02/03/14 11:14 pm

Haha, that's the last thing I care about. People probably think this question promoting suicide or something. I'm glad you like the question though. I find myself wondering what I would do in this situation a lot.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/04/14 1:18 am

Because of my nature, I get confided in a lot things like suicide idealization. I usually just remind people that you slit wrists side to side for attention and up to down to kill. You wanna kill yourself? Fine. Don't waste my time with it.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
02/04/14 1:19 am

You wanna get ice cream/ hot coco and go for a walk? I'm your man.

Alkan
02/03/14 10:27 pm

Myself entirely. Once she's dead, she's dead. She is no longer negatively affected, missing out on x or y, she's dead.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/14 10:04 pm

There's one more thing: I would definitively first have a talk to find out if it's really a free decision or brought on by depression or other underlying reasons.

TierasPet
02/03/14 9:48 pm

My friend has the right.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/03/14 9:37 pm

If she has a good reason, she's terminal and it's time, I don't try to talk her out of it at all, I ask if there's anything I can do to make it easier for her or her family. If she's just tired or bored, she's still young and it isn't yet her time.

HayleyS looking up.
02/03/14 9:26 pm

I think he/she would benefit from hearing from other people.
It's their decision to make, but I wouldn't feel right about just standing back and letting them make such an irreversible decision without a bit of a fight.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/14 9:21 pm

I wouldn't. It's their decision and I respect that.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
02/03/14 9:23 pm

I honestly wouldn't know what to do. I'd be so devastated, but I would have to somehow come to terms with their decision.