foxycheese202 February 3rd, 2014 4:34pm

"some tunes should only be sung in the English language (in reference to America the beautiful)"

CalTexHawk spiral arm
02/03/14 5:08 pm

Perhaps it should only be sung in Cherokee or Navajo.

madeit Houston Area
02/03/14 2:29 pm

We never declared an official language because we didn't have to until now. It was merely understood that English was our unifying language and everybody went along with it. Until now. We've politically corrected ourselves to death.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 2:32 pm

What would change if English was our official language?

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
02/03/14 2:35 pm

It still is our unifying language. And most 2nd generation Americans master English. Many 1st generation do not because it is harder to learn a language when you are older. My great grandparents couldn't speak English well, if at all.

madeit Houston Area
02/03/14 2:37 pm

It's fine if people want to speak whatever languages they want but we need one unifying language that everyone can speak, otherwise we can't comminicate and that will spell our doom

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 2:38 pm

Of course, but I'm curious what would change?

madeit Houston Area
02/03/14 2:45 pm

Probably not much would change. our dear old grandparents don't necessarily need to learn any more English but oir children should

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 2:51 pm

Not much. Unfortunately I don't trust the government enough to make an official language. Because despite the fact that government runs like a business they'd stop offering language help at the dmv. But businesses would still offer it as supply and

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 2:55 pm

Demand. If we made English our official language I feel this would invite racism worse than we already have it towards immigrants legal or illegal. Would we still invite public schools to teach a second language?

wiildkat Propertarian
02/04/14 10:25 am

Laws aren't written in English though. My brother got a copy of the ACA in English, Spanish, Chinese, and some other language. Foxycheese would know better because she's married to him.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 2:01 pm

When my college choir went to Norway in 1975, we sang their national anthem in concert in Norwegian. They loved it! It was a sign of respect. When people move to America, they should learn to speak English and sing our national songs in

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 2:02 pm

English. Again, it's a sign of respect, so doing otherwise is a sign of disrespect.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
02/03/14 2:32 pm

Learning English is a tremendous advantage. Not only in the US, but the world. It is the language of international
business. But it is not disrespectful to sing a patriotic song in your native tongue. It was done very well in my opinion.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/03/14 1:15 pm

Totally disagree. An excellent example was used in one of the Super Bowl commercials last night when they used several of our most common languages here. As good as you'll ever hear it done.

jvc1133 61535
02/03/14 11:45 am

Disagree, but citizens should be able to speak their countries language.

swervin Maryland
02/03/14 11:59 am

What is the language of the United States of America?

wiildkat Propertarian
02/03/14 12:39 pm

Haha and what's the official language of the United States, pray tell

jvc1133 61535
02/03/14 12:47 pm

What language was the constitution written and is used in schools, courts

jvc1133 61535
02/03/14 12:49 pm

Our laws are written in, contracts, licenes
It's may not be official

jvc1133 61535
02/03/14 12:51 pm

But it is much to your advantage to speak ENGLISH

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 2:29 pm

Very few citizens can't speak English, even fewer second generation immigrants can't. What would change if English was our official language?

wiildkat Propertarian
02/03/14 2:56 pm

Should people learn English? Yes. Should they be required to? No way.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
02/03/14 10:55 am

I think a lot of people misunderstood the point of that commercial.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 11:01 am

Which was? Drink coke because it's yummy!

swervin Maryland
02/03/14 11:11 am

What did you think the point of the commercial was?

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
02/03/14 11:43 am

That America is one people made up of many peoples with diverse cultures from throughout the world that have come together and despite our differences we are all Americans...who all drink coke.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
02/03/14 11:43 am

Bur the racists just heard different languages and saw people who don't look like them...drinking their coke

swervin Maryland
02/03/14 11:58 am

I saw it exactly as you did. That was the message they were trying to get across. All the jackasses saying "they ruined our national anthem" are idiots on so many levels.

swervin Maryland
02/03/14 12:01 pm

Btw, coke is sold literally all over the world. I've been able to buy a coke in Africa, Asia, South America, and Europe. I haven't been to Australia yet, but I'm thinking they have coke there too. It's not a North American drink only.

CTYankee!!! Connecticut
02/03/14 2:26 pm

I've had coke in Italy. Very bitter. Apparently coca-cola modifies the taste to local preferences. Unlike McDonalds, which is the same everywhere.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 10:14 am

Freedom does not demand you learn a specific language.

swervin Maryland
02/03/14 9:39 am

I could not disagree more. I was so pissed when I saw those Facebook comments bashing the coca cola page. The US has no national language and is quite diverse. I thought it was amazing of Coke to step up like it did. Bravo Zulu!

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:49 am

I feel the same way and have discovered that my brother's in laws have turned him into a bit of a bigot.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:50 am

No matter what I said English should be our official language for immigrants benefits and to better unite all of America instead of supporting loyalty to countries of origin.

commonsense Read another book
02/03/14 1:06 pm

Actually America's language is English. Like it or not it's our unofficial official language. It's been that since our inception.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 4:41 pm

I don't mind it being the general consensus. Forcing people to learn it when businesses are more than willing to accommodate spit in the face of the freedom America was built for.

swervin Maryland
02/03/14 6:32 pm

America is 2 continents, the US or United States or the United States of America is a country. And no, the there is no official language of the United States.