trepidhickory February 3rd, 2014 1:42pm

Should people under 18 be allowed to purchase birth control without permission from their guardian?

rangeman Lafayette IN.
02/05/14 7:53 am

If they get contraceptions, the parent should be informed.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/04/14 12:09 am

As a general rule, they probably shouldn't be able to purchase anything without permission. Contraception is one of the few exceptions, as the general rule is to protect them, and the exception will protect them more.

dustbunny
02/03/14 5:05 pm

Better than an unwanted pregnancy.

Alkan
02/03/14 3:13 pm

If they want to, it's because they are going to have sex anyway. Might as well provide protection

NYevo NY
02/03/14 4:07 pm

Exactly. Unless of course you dont mind your kid being pregnant so young. Blah blah abstinence. 75% of you are kidding yourselves if you think your kid will wait till marriage to have sex. Dont let your ideology write checks your kid pretends about

Wes28 CBus
02/03/14 1:29 pm

The fewer kids born by parents in high school the better.

TomM
02/03/14 12:47 pm

Yes, it shouldn't be necessary, but it's better than the alternative.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/04/14 12:27 am

Humans having been having sex at much younger ages than society acceptable today for thousands of years. We haven't changed biologically, just societally. I see no problem with teenagers doing whatever they want as I did with protection.

TomM
02/04/14 4:45 am

Agree. It shouldn't be necessary to go around parent, but it's than the alternative - unprotected sex.

s4mm1 WVU
02/03/14 12:07 pm

Over the counter things such as emergency contraception and condoms absolutely. When it comes to things that require a prescription, and they see a doctor there is no reason for parental involvement. Most of the time it just ends up with a child

s4mm1 WVU
02/03/14 12:08 pm

who is attempting to be responsible and parents who are immature and irresponsible.

cowboy All Lives Matter
02/03/14 11:43 am

Hell no but government abortion clinics do it anyway.

pandaxoxo Colorado
02/03/14 5:26 pm

Why not? Would you rather have more teenagers with babies?

cowboy All Lives Matter
02/03/14 5:30 pm

They're not my slutty teenagers. Maybe the parents should, I don't know, be parents?

camigirl
02/03/14 10:57 am

Yeah, as a matter of fact...hell yeah! It's their body and teenagers are old enough to decide how they want to protect it. From experience, I still had sex even with my parent's disapproval, so luckily I had resources and education around me.

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 10:13 am

Many young ladies are married by the time they are 17, so call home and ask Mommy?? THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!!!

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 10:17 am

Watch "16 and Pregnant" sometime, BC could have prevented much heartache. I wonder how many of these kids wanted to be on BC but weren't because their parents (from the Middle Ages?) said "No"?

camigirl
02/03/14 11:00 am

Exactly! It's pretty common sense...for majority of teenagers, their parents saying "no" is definitely not going to stop them from having sex.
Saying no to sex is one thing, but saying no to even providing them education/resources is even worse.

Posco teach me
02/03/14 11:32 am

That's a good point. I didn't think about those who marry before they're 18.

clearthinking Nevada
02/03/14 10:06 am

Depends. If you mean condoms then probably not. If you mean BC pills then we are talking about synthetic hormones and because of that health issues could arise that parents need to know.

Posco teach me
02/03/14 11:31 am

I agree with your clear thinking.

Rosebud Ohio
02/03/14 10:00 am

There can be significant health issues arising from birth control, especially in an emergency or relating to other medications. So prescription birth control, no. Something like condoms or a diaphragm, sure.

missmorganmarie ...
02/03/14 9:57 am

no, they shouldn't be able to. they are minors until age 18 which means under the responsibility of their parent/guardian

Posco teach me
02/03/14 9:31 am

They should be able to purchase condoms at any age but I think the pills should stay under parental/ doctors supervision until 16-18.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 9:00 am

Seriously, how can anyone say no to this question? Do u want your 16 year daughter to wind up pregnant because it's illegal for her to buy condoms or BC pills?

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 9:00 am

You can council them about the virtues of abstinence, but teenagers will be teenagers. If you don't want them to have abortions, you can't also deny them a way to protect themselves against pregnancy, and disease for that matter. Shame on you.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 9:09 am

You're creating a false choice. It isn't about "abortion vs birth control." It's about parental rights. The goal of something like this is to provide a path for children to go behind their parents' backs.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:19 am

You wouldn't agree that a child should be able to get prescription meds behind they're parents' backs. So what makes birth control different? I'd rather my daughter get pregnant and learn the consequences of her "fun"

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:21 am

Kids have so much access to birth control lately, yet we still have teen pregnancies. Because sex without a condom feels good, and they're teens! Reckless.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:26 am

I was a teen once and I had this magical power of self control. Sure my hormones wanted it, but I wasn't stupid. Teens can control themselves. Stop telling them they shouldn't bother trying.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 9:59 am

Like no teenager has ever gone behind their parent's back in the history of mankind... Their punishment shouldn't be a life threatening disease or being forced to have a child because they disobeyed their parents. Seriously, come on.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 10:00 am

I absolutely would agree that a minor should have access to any and all prescription drugs prescribed by a licensed physician regardless of their parents views of modern medicine.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 10:01 am

As for the teen pregnancies, they are highest in areas where parents keep their heads hidden on the sand and only teach abstinence instead of given their children all of the available information & trusting them to make the right choice.

02/03/14 10:01 am

Foxy, not all teens have parents who talk to them or are involved. Not all teens have your intelligence or self control. You want them having kids? You want them to have to go to the clinic for treatment for stds? (Which is usually

02/03/14 10:01 am

taxpayer funded in some areas) Or could we avoid this by allowing them to get birth control?

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 10:04 am

It's like saying, there is a life saving pill that will keep you from getting malaria, but I don't want you to go where malaria is prevalent, so I'm not going to allow you to have access to it. Guess what, malaria outbreaks would increase.

camigirl
02/03/14 11:03 am

I agree 100% Stef. If you have the opportunity to allow your kid protection from some really life changing and dangerous things, why would you let your personal moral values stop you from giving it to them?
I mean hey, I had a wonderful relationship

camigirl
02/03/14 11:05 am

with my parents but there's still no way in hell I would've told them I started having sex. So parents who think their kids are going to tell them are expecting too much, except in a few cases of course. These resources should be available regardless

DeusOrbus Stay Positive
02/03/14 7:52 am

Not just be able, the should be forced! Here take this pill and wrap your willy! Big brother cares!

02/03/14 7:42 am

Yes. Absolutely. You want to reduce teen pregnancy and stds, give access to birth control. Want to reduce abortions and unwanted births? Give access to birth control.

02/03/14 7:42 am

Have open frank discussions w/your kids, but if they make a "mistake" do you want their life messed up royally by it, or do you want to minimize the "damage?" Give access to birth control!

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:22 am

How is having a child royally ruining someone's life?

02/03/14 9:57 am

I didn't say ruined, I said messed up. An std or unplanned pregnancy will mess up your plans and change your future.

camigirl
02/03/14 11:09 am

Sojourner, I just want to say from your comments you must be a terrific parent. You remind me a lot of my own who were also, terrific haha. I hope your kids appreciate that!

02/03/14 12:27 pm

Thanks cami! I have two terrific kids, not perfect kids, but basically good people who make mostly good choices. I don't see parenting as a one size fits all, but I try to be reasonable (I don't always succeed either)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 7:35 am

Heck no. If they are under 18, their sexual activity is not only their parents' business, it's their parents' responsibility. Parents should prevent sexual activity in minors by not allowing early single-dating and time alone with the opposite sex.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/03/14 7:37 am

Would yoy say sex before marriage is wrong?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 8:48 am

To me, what matters is what God says, so I'd say any sex outside of marriage is wrong. But I'm not condemning you or anybody else. I'm just lining myself up in agreement with God. What anyone else chooses to do is between them and Him.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:23 am

Sex before marriage has many unintended consequences. With or without protection from semen. The emotional implications can be devastating.

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 10:30 am

It doesn't say anything about BC pills in the bible. How is it God could not foresee the future and add commandments that would be valid for all time and not make humans...

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 10:31 am

.. responsible for extrapolating meanings authoritative in today's world using meanings intended for pre-CE readers of his word?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 10:34 am

Foxy, you are SO right! And nobody thinks about those "hidden" consequences.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 10:36 am

Foxy - btw, that is one incredibly beautiful child in your profile pic! Yours?

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 10:42 am

Tdaddy - God gives us credit for having the sense to realize that He can choose to give us a child anytime we have sex. That makes it all the more important that we follow His leading as far as keeping sex within marriage, so that children are

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/03/14 10:46 am

conceived only within the bounds of matrimony. We don't need verses dealing with birth control if we simply follow God's commands and trust His will.

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 9:31 pm

But every year there are stories in the news where a teen who had been hiding her pregnancy finally conceives and all the mother can think of is how to get rid of the baby. Such events would not happen had the mothers been allow BC pills.

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 9:40 pm

Then a God won't be forced to admit he made a mistake giving a baby to that girl. The truth is God should have done a better job of overseeing what was allowed to go into the Bible because some of the humans charged with the responsibility of...

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 9:40 pm

...putting the Bible on paper had no idea in was going to be translated and retranslated over the course of time that there was no way in heaven or earth that all these translators would ever be able to keep God's real message intact.

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 9:50 pm

Almost every continent has their own god. Ingersoll's essay "The Gods" puts it all in language anyone can understand. There is no point arguing about it. That's how new wars start;
every believer is positive only their translation is the right one.

tdaddy diversity
02/04/14 7:44 pm

Of course few folks are positive everything Biblical happened just as they were taught. Sometimes the most juvenile explanations are the ones that stay with a person longest. I guess that's why people just force themselves to believe it's all true.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 6:52 am

Of course not. That's a medication, and therefore should fall under the purview of the parents like every other medication.

Axl752 NY
02/03/14 7:00 am

Condoms arent a medication.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 7:05 am

Spin it however you want. The point is that parents have the right to raise their kids according to their beliefs and values as long as they aren't directly endangering the life of their child.

Axl752 NY
02/03/14 7:08 am

Teens are gonna have sex whether they have access to birth control or not. Common sense dictates that making it legal for them to purchase it would cut down on teen pregnancy and STDs.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 7:23 am

That has nothing to do with what I said.

02/03/14 7:44 am

Allowing access to birth control does not interfere w/your right or ability to parent. You can still I still your morals and forbid your child from having sex. Allowing access changes none of that.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 7:50 am

Then if it doesn't affect my right to parent my child as I see fit, why should it matter to you anyway...unless the real goal here is to set up a pathway for children to go behind their parents' backs?

02/03/14 7:55 am

Because not all children have involved parents like you and you are denying them access. I should ask if you are so sure of your parenting, why do you care if there is access?

02/03/14 7:56 am

And if your child is going behind your back to have sex, would you rather they do it with protection, or unprotected?

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 7:58 am

You're dodging the issue I posed.
The goal here is to deliberately undermine parents.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 9:06 am

No, allowing teenagers access to all forms of BC doesn't undermine the parent, it empowers the teenager to take responsibility for their sexual health.

Think back to high school, how easy was it to get around even the strictest of parental rules.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 9:13 am

allowing teenagers access to all forms of Firearms doesn't undermine the parent, it empowers the teenager to take responsibility for their personal safety.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 9:21 am

Based on that logic, why don't we allow children to have access to all medications?

02/03/14 9:53 am

Milkdud, you didn't answer my question either. If your child disobeys you, and I assume at some point your child has disobeyed you, do you want them risking pregnancy and stds or do you want them to use protection?

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 10:01 am

1. I posed my question re: undermining parental rights.
2. You dodged it and asked re: whether I want my child to live with consequences of bad choices.
3. I redirected you about dodging.
4. You accused me of dodging & dodged my question again.

02/03/14 10:04 am

Ok, no, I don't see this as undermining parental rights.I see this as trying to address the issue of teen pregnancy and stds.I don't see allowing teens to buy condoms diminishes parental control at all. I'm guessing we disagree on this.Now,your turn

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 10:04 am

And yes, I want them to risk it all and live with the consequences of their actions. Two wrongs don't make a right.

stefanie22 Cincinnati
02/03/14 10:07 am

Yes, but the consequences could be easily avoided if they had access to condoms!!! Why give someone a life sentence for youthful stupidity?

02/03/14 10:09 am

Fair enough. I fundamentally disagree. And I worry about those who don't have "good" parents like you to help them. I think they should have the right to at least minimize the risk.

02/03/14 10:09 am

Where possible, I'd like my kids to try and minimize the damage from any mistakes they may make,because I know they are human, and we all make bad choices. Birth control would simply help make sure a mistake isn't life altering.

MrMilkdud Pref pronouns Thou Thee
02/03/14 10:14 am

I'm not going to explain to you all the reasons that I think birth control is wrong. Suffice it to say, I believe in teaching self control. My siblings and cousins all managed to get through to our adult years without any diseases or pregnancies.

02/03/14 10:21 am

Now I'm curious. But can I ask, do you believe birth control should be illegal for everyone?