gunluvr February 3rd, 2014 1:32pm

Are State laws requiring background checks, and proof of proficiency tests for Concealed Carry licenses a violation of the 2nd Amendment's "shall not be infringed" clause, or do the overall safety concerns outweigh any Constitutional concerns ?

knetzere Illinois
02/03/14 10:21 am

The bigger infringement is the cost of the permission slip. Typically $250 for the 16 hours of class and $150 with your application to carry

Mud Constitutionalist
02/03/14 8:17 am

I'm inclined toward "Constitutional Carry" and make "deadly weapon assisted crimes" crimes very serious. In other words, put the responsibility on the citizen where it belongs.

Mud Constitutionalist
02/03/14 8:17 am

What about my right to carry vs the property owner's right to restrict guns in his prosperity?

rickvee Living the dream
02/03/14 9:03 am

It's a private business, it can be ran any way the owner sees fit. If you see a sign saying "no carry", you can do what I do. Leave your sidearm in the car, go in, and explain to the owner/manager why you won't be doing business with them anymore.

Mud Constitutionalist
02/03/14 9:27 am

I just posed the question. I do the same. I have my right not to associate with him.

rickvee Living the dream
02/03/14 9:48 am

I figured as much, but anyone reading that is curious about it can use that info.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
02/03/14 10:28 am

I will not do business with any company that is anti-gun....if they have a sign prohibiting conceal carry, I will find someone else to support with my money ....

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
02/03/14 6:38 am

I'm fine with background checks before you buy a gun and proficiency testing for potential CHL holders.

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
02/03/14 6:42 am

Although , I do NOT believe background checks for the sale of a firearm between two law abiding private citizens is necessary ...

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
02/03/14 6:44 am

Neither do I, I'm talking about dealer sales.

Despair Sac the City of Trees
02/03/14 7:24 am

Yeah I have to agree too. Through a dealer sure but not a private seller.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/03/14 8:36 am

I'm not sure I understand the distinction here. Why is it safer to do background checks for dealer sold guns, but not for citizen to citizen? Wouldn't criminals just buy them from citizens then?

gunluvr NOT a Gun Free Zone
02/03/14 9:02 am

RoDe, did you catch my point about law abiding citizens ? If you require a background check, then you run into 4th amendment privacy issues. Bottom line, bad guys don't buy guns through legal means, so background checks only affect law abiding folks

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/03/14 11:49 am

A lot of criminals in Boston get their guns from the gun shows in NH, a very large percentage found in our streets are tied to sales there. Wouldn't those be counted as legal sales?.