PartyJustin February 3rd, 2014 4:43am

The abortion rate in the US has dropped by half since 1981, largely due to better birth control methods. Does this positively affect your opinion on the federal mandate requiring insurers to cover birth control?

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
02/04/14 4:04 pm

Federal government mandates WAAAAY too much about things that are none of its business. We are over-legislated, over-criminalized, over-monitored, over-taxed, over-governed.

tokala
02/04/14 2:38 pm

I feel that ins. co. should pay for birth control because sometimes it's prescribed for reasons other than birth control.

tdaddy diversity
02/04/14 4:10 pm

Actually, I think in the kind of situation you describe, if BC hormones were needed for a different sort of medical problem the diagnosis code would be different than BC and the insurance co would allow the prescription.

tokala
02/04/14 4:28 pm

Nope, I've had insurance that did not pay for bc for any reason. I needed them for the hormones for a medical condition and could not get them.

tdaddy diversity
02/04/14 4:50 pm

Hmm, I guess you just have to live farther north for sane and equitable decisions in that department. :)

SugarShaq
02/04/14 2:28 pm

One can get free IUD's or BCP any time at Choices or PP. Why should I have to pay for it through insurance?

318851
02/03/14 7:48 pm

Want cheap birth control? Keep your legs closed. I shouldn't have to pay for someone else's birth control. Less government=better

TomM
02/03/14 3:45 pm

I have nothing against birth control or abortions, but I don't want to fund it.

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 9:03 pm

So are you saying government watchdog agencies should agree with a religious sects beliefs and chose for everyone what that sect chooses for themselves; so because a Jehovah's Witness does not believe in blood transfusions that gives them...

tdaddy diversity
02/03/14 9:13 pm

the right to say your insurance company should not be allowed to give anyone a blood transfusion, so it's okay for a patient to bleed to death because your interpretation of God's word led you to believe your belief is the only correct one? Hogwash!

TomM
02/03/14 9:28 pm

I didn't say any of that. I don't believe government should be I healthcare at all.

Cocksure US Army Ranger
02/03/14 9:28 pm

I don't like paying inflated health care because of fats and smokers, but that's america.

tdaddy diversity
02/04/14 4:03 pm

Well, Tom, I reckon I got a little carried away. I read a number of messages, thought I had a feel for the sentiments being expressed, then pounced on you. I sincerely apologize for insinuating blame in the wrong place.

TomM
02/04/14 6:18 pm

No problem, happens to me too, all the time.

tdaddy diversity
02/04/14 7:34 pm

Thanks! 'Good to hear I don't have the market cornered. :)

s4mm1 MD SLP
02/03/14 12:20 pm

The government I doesn't have the right to force that on a private business. That's why it's private. Since there is a public option this mandate is just imposing a belief on people, which is what democrats always cry over. Unless it's in their favor

jvc1133 61535
02/03/14 8:06 am

Not in the least

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
02/03/14 6:40 am

"Abortions are bad, but we don't want to help prevent abortions" - Many Republicans

Mattwall1
02/03/14 7:31 am

I wouldn't say republicans so much as many, not all certainly, but many who see themselves as pro life, and, for one reason or another, don't want this. I'm sure some pro choice people are also against the mandate, but they wouldn't inherently fit

Mattwall1
02/03/14 7:33 am

the second part of your statement. That being said, one main argument against the mandate, the religious violation one, for private businesses, I really can't see to be honest. Do Walmart or the general store on main street have a religion? I don't

Mattwall1
02/03/14 7:34 am

think so anyway. Their owners may, but does that give them the right to push their personal beliefs on any employees they may have (let assume the general store fits the law requiring it to follow the mandate)? again, I don't think so

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/03/14 9:28 am

So a college shouldn't be allowed to have an honor code? Why can't an employer have something similar?

Alkan
02/03/14 10:20 am

Can't have it both ways republicans. Stop forcing religion down everyone's throat.

Rocker saved by grace
02/03/14 11:29 am

Trepid, how do you think the right could stop it? Especially when the left calls it a "right."

truenuff
02/04/14 2:17 am

It always amazes me when liberals attack republicans. There's usually limited knowledge and an abundance of hate. Way to go, that will influence people to your way if thinking.

Mattwall1
02/04/14 8:16 am

trepid is more of a libertarian if I recall, and frankly I don't care about party on this one

Liberty Lets Use Logic
02/03/14 4:56 am

Those are two completely unrelated things, haha.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 5:55 am

No they're not. Birth control prevents an unplanned pregnancy, where abortion might be used. Many not considered in the first place.

Liberty Lets Use Logic
02/03/14 6:06 am

Read the question (and the link). The statistics are from 1981 to present. It has nothing to do with federal mandates.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
02/03/14 6:13 am

I was curious if people's opinions on the mandate would change considering how better birth control (and better access to it) has reduced the abortion rate.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 7:20 am

I think he's going at from "if your goal is less abortion why not support the mandate" rather than "should we have a mandate". Very different questions.

skinner Wisconsin
02/03/14 4:17 am

No, I still oppose the mandates as a violation of some groups religious freedom.

kermie gaytopia
02/03/14 8:03 am

A business is not a "group."

RoDe Latinus wordsus
02/03/14 8:43 am

I still get up in arms every time I see you posting these conservative views, that's for Oklahoma, Texas and Georgia, not the liberal bastion of Boston. Haha obviously I'm open to everyone's opinion but do you root for the Yankees too?

skinner Wisconsin
02/03/14 2:36 pm

Kermie: your distinction is irrelevant

RoDe: Lol don't worry I'm an ardent Red Sox fan.

jmw7477 Indiana
02/03/14 3:50 am

I used to take bc to regulate my cycle. I've had to quit because I couldn't afford it anymore. We don't have insurance. It isn't just the cost of the pill, but also the cost of the doctor visit to get that pill.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 11:18 am

People like to forget about that too, not to mention the cost of an appt for methods like the shot and iud ( and removal of an iud, dr has to do that too). I'm sorry you're in that situation, do you have a local planned parenthood? Maybe could get

jmw7477 Indiana
02/03/14 2:29 pm

I was going to Planned Parenthood. It's a bit cheaper there than other places, but their funding has been cut. I was getting a discount there, but not after the cut. So far, my cycle hasn't gone too wonky. If it does, I'll have to go back and...

cowboy Dog Lives Matter
02/03/14 2:14 am

Hell no. The Communists are forcing their twisted beliefs on Christians. It isn't right.

pcox104 Florida
02/03/14 1:51 am

I think it's a great idea and every insurance should do it, but a federal mandate? Sound like somebody needs to mind his own business.

tdaddy diversity
02/02/14 11:02 pm

It certainly does because preventing a baby costs much less than prenatal care and delivery of one, so the money saved on birth related charges can then be applied to helping sick people and toward keeping rates down. A huge win for everyone! :)

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/02/14 10:18 pm

Yes, although it does not represent a change my opinion. Everything about birth control is preferable to everything about abortion, and the social costs of a few abortions or unwanted kids exceed those of all birth control combined.

ncbuc Get Over It
02/02/14 10:03 pm

I hate government mandates and insurance companies. Tough call but I'll vote yes just to oppose insurance companies.

MisterE Conservistan
02/02/14 9:56 pm

It positively affects my opinion of free enterprise.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
02/02/14 9:57 pm

E - can you please explain how free enterprise - specifically related to private insurance - helps our health care system?

MisterE Conservistan
02/02/14 10:10 pm

Am I missing something? Is the government responsible for improving birth control methods?

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
02/02/14 10:14 pm

Maybe I misread your first. What did you mean?

MisterE Conservistan
02/02/14 10:16 pm

Better birth control methods were created in a market environment in order to meet the demands of society. That's what I was saying.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
02/02/14 9:54 pm

Birth control isn't all that expensive, why should health insurance cover it? I mean, birth control doesn't fight a disease or keeps your teeth free of cavities, it's not strictly a health issue.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
02/02/14 10:36 pm

For the poor any additional costs can mean extreme hardship. I feel like people who are strongly against abortion could support a mandate like this in order to curb abortions overall, even if they generally oppose mandates.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
02/02/14 10:49 pm

It's been 13 years since I swallowed my last BC pill and it was $22 a month back then. For low income families, that $20 a month is probably a stretch.

Mattwall1
02/02/14 10:51 pm

and that $22 then is just under $29 in 2013 dollars, so that actually makes things worse in some regard, given wage and income issues

violence Pretty hate machine
02/03/14 12:05 am

Last time I had to buy BC (2007ish) it was WAY more than $29/pack. It was somewhere between $80-$100/month.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 5:57 am

And don't forget those of us who can't take a pill. I could never afford the shot up front, or iud (4-600$). How many people could afford that without insurance?
Also, it does treat endometriosis which is excruciatingly painful.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 5:58 am

And it keeps your uterus free of babies to play on your tooth analogy. Preventative care.

Mattwall1
02/03/14 7:05 am

violence, i was just going by pure inflation, but then again, while this is a somewhat more elastic market than some others in the medical industry, it is rather inelastic

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 7:19 am

Indeed. Also price can fluctuate widely by location. I hate when people falsely assume birth control is dirt cheap or assume a relatively cheap method is compatible with most women's bodies.

Mattwall1
02/03/14 7:29 am

I didn't expect it to be cheap, but a complete flossing like this?

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 8:23 am

Oh yes. Especially if you're one of us who can't take a pill you'll be looking at a couple hundred minimum. Nuvaring is cheaper at $80/month, but that's not cheap and it has caused deaths in healthy 20 some year old women..so yeah. Bc is not as cheap

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/03/14 8:24 am

Those who've never had to deal with it assume (I'm assuming praetorion hasn't dealt with it by his statement on cost).

Mattwall1
02/04/14 7:12 am

well, I don't see how many families can afford that-or how they can then be told in good conscious that no mater what they do in that situation, they're at fault, as many do or seem to

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
02/02/14 9:47 pm

I'm curious which people hate more, abortion or government mandates.

ncbuc Get Over It
02/02/14 10:04 pm

Government mandates. Have no issue with abortion.

violence Pretty hate machine
02/03/14 12:07 am

Conservatives hate people not being exactly like them. So no sex, birth control, abortions, or government mandates. They're all the work of the devil and the liberals.