Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent heroin overdose. Do you personally know anyone who has died or nearly died from a drug overdose?
In my fifth grade year (6 years ago), my elementary school principal was found dead on a bench after overdosing on some medication. I'm not sure why, but I'm almost certain it was suicide. He was a wonderful and caring man. He's truly missed.
A lot if people are in denial...
My grandmother nearly died the same way.
A guy I was dating back in 2006 was found dead in his car from an overdose. I can't remember if it was heroin or meth, but he used both. It was truly sad. He was training to be a firefighter and just got lost somehow...
Yes too damn many! Some people just don't know how to stop when they've had enough. Addictive personalities are real.
An old friend nearly died many years ago from a heroin od. As a personal aside, I must be quite far removed from the current popular culture because I had never heard of Mr. Hoffman...
I know of a lot from my job as a police officer but I didn't have personal relationships with them. Met due to their crisis.
Yep, myself 10 years ago I nearly died while in a treatment center. 7 years sober now. There is hope and a solution to the problem.
My best friend Andrew. It's been almost a year.
My best friend 2 years ago tried to kill himself with a ton of pills. Luckily someone got him to the hospital to get his stomach pumped
I will never understand why people do dangerous drugs such as heroin and cocaine. You can have a whole lot of fun with safer drugs like marijuana and LSD.
Yes, two kids I worked with.
Well my girlfriend told me her brother almost OD once but I didn't know him at time but I guess it still counts as knowing someone who almost did
I overdosed several times before I sought treatment. I'm lucky to be alive. 2 years 6 months from heroin.
I'm right with you buddy.. Not as long, but it's a slow, personal process. Keep your head up and look alive!
Congrats to both of you.
I wonder if he started with marijuana. People say its tragic. I disagree. It's idiotic and stupid. I have no sympathy whatsoever.
Well aren't you one cold SOB.
Nope. The "cold SOB" is the greedy man who saddled his children for life with the legacy their father was a drug addict that killed himself. The greedy man whose love of drugs outweighed love of his children.
wrong, that is the biggest chicken shit excuse ever. there is nothing more important in this world to me than my children. someone that says that chooses their addiction over anything else
I worked at a music summer camp for years. One of the really decent kids that would attend every year OD'ed on heroin and died over the school year. I was shocked.
One of my aunts also died from an overdose, but she had been in really bad shape for as long as I can remember. It was almost certainly a suicide.
sad deal, he chose drugs over his children
its obvious that you do not understand addiction, whether it be drugs or alcohol or gambling, etc.
My ex- boss' 15 year old daughter. First time she tried heroin. (Thanks to her older brother).
That poor family! I hope that was a catalyst for the brother!
Wow.. Giving heroin to a 15 year old.. That's so sad all around.
He started as an early teen, in and out of rehab. Such a waste.
He was an excellent actor; one of the few that it's difficult to recognize from film to film.
I agree. He was an outstanding actor.
My dad died of an overdose on our family vacation.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you are recovering from it. :-(
A girl died at our hospital last year. She was 16 years old and was drinking with friends. She was also diabetic. Her friends just dumped her out of a car at the hospital at the front entrance and she died.
I hope they went to jail for that. I too was with somebody who did nothing in the situation and even lied to cover it up. (TN also doesn't have laws protecting reporters of an OD, but she was arrested for other things.) A passer by saved the day.
I used to hang with a woman that it did drugs and almost died. I tried to commit suicide via medications.
Two kids on my son's hockey team. Nothing worse than seeing a high school hockey jersey draped over the lid of a casket...and twice.
When one of my husband students died via a car accident a year ago the saddest thing was to see these boys in his dress suits that hung on them. Yet too short in the sleeves
Not personally, but I went to a coworker's sons funeral after a heroin OD. Parents should never have to outlive their children.
If suicide attempts count, then yes. A neighbor attempted to OD.
one of my best friends died almost 2 years ago. he overdosed on the "Drangonfly" drug. he was at a party with his girlfriend, about 10 ppl took the drug and I believe only 4 lived. he was in a coma for a week :(
What is that? As a parent I used to be so concerned about meth (clearly still am) but meth doesn't generally just kill you instantly like heroin. I had no idea how easy it is for kids to access meth and heroin until my daughter hit high school
A guy that was part of my group of friends in high school overdosed and died a couple years after we graduated. His older brother was also part of our social group. It has been really tough on the family.
Yes, many people actually. I'm grateful I've never gotten caught up in any of it, and never will.
No. I don't hang out with losers.
I know someone that lost two kids to overdoses.
I am so sad! He always played such complicated and interesting characters. Not that many actors can play the roles he could..what a waste! Drug addiction affects so many. I pray for his family during this tragic time in their lives.
I agree. I think he was a really great actor- so many actors today let their personalities show through in their roles, but he was always true to his character.
My husband grew up in a small town that is now rampant with addiction. It's sad every time he hears about another classmate passing.
Nobody has ever died from overdosing on marijuana. Just a reminder to legalize something safer than alcohol.
U think he started with heroin. Everyone starts with mg
One of my good friends from childhood died Wednesday from a heroin overdose in New York. Very sad time for so many.
No, but I was so so sad when Cory monteith died from the same thing. Such a good guy and so talented, I miss him. Addiction is an illness, and a serious one.
He was my doppelgänger. I have had many people say we look alike. So sad.
My husband's cousin died of a drug overdose about five years ago. He was in his early 20's. I don't know if his mom will ever quit blaming herself and start to let go of her grief. :(
2 friends from high school both heroin.
And my ex bf overdosed twice but made it to the hospital in time.
Not Plutarch Heavensbee :(
Bold prediction- Tomorrow Phillip Seymour Hoffman will hold a press conference. First question - "how did you convince the medics you were dead?", to which he will smirk and respond "Acting"
He will then be awarded the Oscar in every category.
RIP Brendt. Perhaps we'll see you again, Dude.
Oh my goodness. What a great talent he was.
If you consider alcohol a drug, yes.
It's part of the drug counseling course I took
Unfortunately, I know plenty. Relatives and classmates.
My closest girlfriend from time I was 2. She got hooked on heroin at 17 and after many years went thru rehab and was on methadone but I guess the urge was too strong. She ODed and was dead for two weeks before her grown son found her. Very sad.
One of my best friends in 5th grade. We never knew he was doing anything. Weirdest thing was he died from an "white out" OD. I also have an uncle who OD'd n died several times. Each time they managed to bring him back. He still uses n won't quit.
What's a "white out" OD?
He OD'd from sniffing "white Out". The correction fluid. Back in those days it had some harsh chemicals that could get you high. Kinda like sniffing glue. It was a true shame. He was only 10.
Holy smokes. I never knew people sniffed white out. That's awfully sad.
Very soon after that happened they changed to formula. A lot of kids Were ODing from it so they had to do something.this was all back in like 80-81.
Remember when kids were using that.
My grandma died of a drug overdose and my aunt almost died from one.