thewheel February 2nd, 2014 8:01pm

"Greif doesn't change people. It reveals people."

FutureMD be nice to people
02/02/14 9:51 pm

Well hello there, John Green.
I think that's a great point. You show your true colors when you're really upset and all your hidden emotions rise to the surface.

HayleyS looking up.
02/02/14 1:41 pm

Does it reveal people?
Who I am when I'm grieving isn't exactly like a revealed version of me.
It's not as if that usually who I am is being covered up and grief is one of the only ways to reveal me.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
02/02/14 1:38 pm

Absolutely. I don't believe people change. Sometimes you just haven't seen a side of them that was always present.

thewheel
02/02/14 1:48 pm

You don't believe people change? I don't think I could live a life thinking people won't change, but I won't bank on it. It seems to wreck the point of forgiveness and second chances if they don't. What brought you to think that?

JennaF sunflower state of mind
02/02/14 2:03 pm

People can change their habits, for sure. But I really find it hard to believe people's personalities can change.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
02/02/14 1:31 pm

Grief doesn't change people, It kills them without taking their life. What little bit of drool is left to live on doesn't resemble what was. There is no real substance left. So "revealing" would be a lot to ask for.

Kazuto originally animefanZ
02/02/14 1:04 pm

Wow now that I think about it that's so true.

Cole12 ...
02/02/14 1:02 pm

That's a great quote. I agree.

thewheel
02/02/14 1:03 pm

It's from the Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

JennaAwesome Book Lover
02/02/14 1:05 pm

I love that book so much I'm reading it for the 10000000th time right now

thewheel
02/02/14 1:07 pm

I disagree with a lot of the stuff like this in it. Some of it is extremely close-minded. But overall it is a good book, very thought provoking.

Cole12 ...
02/02/14 1:08 pm

I just read the Wiki summary, it looks pretty good. What's close-minded about it?

thewheel
02/02/14 1:15 pm

See, now that you ask, I can't form my thoughts. But take this quote for example. It just doesn't make sense. I want John Green to be there when his little brother dies and then look me in the eyes and say grief doesn't change people. It does...

icytoes the tepid north
02/02/14 1:17 pm

I haven't read it yet, but my 17 year old neice (currently battling the same cancer the amputee in the book had) and her mother both said that it was really good, and fairly spot-on with a lot of the internal dialogue.

thewheel
02/02/14 1:17 pm

...overall it has some great quotes and thought provoking points, but certain parts, specifically on grief I can't agree with. They almost sound like someone who has never felt the effects of death is trying to make a pretty story out of it...

thewheel
02/02/14 1:18 pm

...though that's exactly the opposite of what it is acclaimed to do. But I would suggest looking up the Fault in Our Stars quotes, there's more good ones than bad ones.